Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 New Member - South Africa - Wonjan 200GY 
    Well, let me try and give as much information in one message.

I got sick and tired of traffic and decided to get a bike again. I did not want to spend big bucks and wanted something almost disposable. My last bike was a Yamaha R6 and I loved it, but the problem was that the insurance was very high, plus I hardly ever got the opertunity to tinker with it.
    I bought my 200gy from a toolshop called Adendorff. (www.tooltime.co.za) Allthough they do assemble the bikes for most customers, I asked them if I can have mine in the crate. I knew it would be fun to assemble it and I also wanted to make sure it was done right. My bike is a "Wonjan wj200gy-b".

I've only done 370km yet with my bike. It is quite cold now in July and I do not want to catch a cold at this time, so I stick to the car at the moment. In two weeks time, after I've run the Comrades marathon (ultra distance race of 87km) , then I'll start going to work with my bike.

Here is some pics of the crate , assembly and finished bike.

Mods and maintenance I've done on my bike ( a bit of an overkill, but I just love tinkering with it)
    Ado Done
    0.5 Assembly
    0.5 Tighten nuts and bolts with loctite
    77 Chain adjust and lube
    77 Change engine oil
    77 Clean engine oil filter
    77 Bleed front brake and lube caliper
    77 Oiled speedo and clutch cable
    77 Bleed back brake
    103 Oiled electric connectors, reroute starter possitive, new terminals for battery
    103 Installed top box
    220 Back brake dragging. Replaced fluid, bleed and adjusted brake.
    310 New 41 teeth back sprocket and shortened chain
    310 Installed missing circlip on back wheel
    310 Installed new back wheel bearings
    355 Replaced grease nipple on swingarm and greased swingarm
    377 New cone airfilter and remove air box
    377 C clip on carb, move one down (richer). Now on second notch from bottom
    377 New NGK spark plug

Some quick links of local shops that I can suggest to other South Africans

www.startline.co.za (very nice shop with lots of goodies, a few branches)
    www.tooltime.co.za (where I bought my bike, R9 500)
    www.fullthrottle.co.za (I'm sure everybody knows this shop)
    2008 Wonjan WJ200GY-B
    2000-2004 Yamaha YZF-R6
    '99-2000 Honda CBR400nc23
    '94-'95 Honda CB650
    '90-'93 Honda MT5 and MB5

Skip,

I copied your post from the Africa section to here. Thanks for taking the time to post a brief intro and your pics. I'm sure assembling it would be a lot of fun and you get to make sure everything is torqued down correctly.

It looks like you've already done quite a bit to your WonJan. I sometimes forget that it's winter down south now but 370kms is still a good break in period. What was your first impression of the bike when you got it running?

How did you decide on the WonJan over other available bikes?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Wonjan 
    Yep, it is winter here, but luckily our winters aren't that cold and we never get snow like other countries. (ok, maybe once every 20 years we get like 1cm)

My decision on the Wonjan was purely based on price. When I started looking around it didn't take long for me to realize that there is like 10 makes available, but at the end of the day they are exactly the same. The Wonjan was not only the cheapest, but it also had the rev counter, upside down shocks, and back disc brake. It also had the 169fml motor, the chain type, not the push rods.

I got much more than I bargained for. I though I'd be disapointed with the bike, but on the contrary, I was heavily impressed. Until now the only disapointment was when I realized that the Cclip on the back sprocket was missing. It's not something that could have fallen off, so I would guess that it was never installed in the factory. It was very dangerous and I'm just glad I noticed it. If I did not change the back sprocket, I might not have noticed it until it was too late.
    2008 Wonjan WJ200GY-B
    2000-2004 Yamaha YZF-R6
    '99-2000 Honda CBR400nc23
    '94-'95 Honda CB650
    '90-'93 Honda MT5 and MB5