Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New Rider in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Name's Jon. Been in Beijing for about 1.5 years doing grad school @ Tsinghua, and finally decided to upgrade from my 50cc scooter now that I've started working. Went the legal route this time with a bike that has 手续. Picked this little guy up for 4,500rmb. Had to put a little TLC into it already (had it for 3 weeks, got new zhengxin tires (old tires lost grip going around corner @ 20kph and lost complete control of bike (still have bruises), oil/filter change and repaired front rim02222011140.jpg02222011141.jpg02222011143.jpg02222011138.jpg02222011139.jpg). 125cc qingqi. don't let the plethora of suzuki stickers fool you, haha.
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

2. #2 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome GJN!

Looks like a nice little ride. Depending on where that 京B (looks like a B) plate can go, and if you got the bike AND the legal plate for 4500 RMB, it looks as if you got a nice deal -- like a legal plate with a bike thrown in for good measure. (Unless the plate only allows you to ride outside the 7th Ring...)

I especially like the Suzuki sticker on the right panel, which will read "Suzuki" to anyone else only if two conditions are met: they are looking in their rear-view mirror, and your bike is upside down. I genuinely and sincerely hope that your bike NEVER meets those two conditions!

In other words, keep the rubber side down!

cheers, and happy riding!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    haha, i hope my bike continues to fail to meet those 2 requirements. yes, its a jing-b, outside 4th ring road legal. bought it 3 days before spring festival = awesome deal. registered to company's name as well. now all i need is my license. haha.

4. #4 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi again Jon - welcome to the MCM board!

We'll get out for some fun rides around outside the Jing when the weather is just a little better (I've heard from some friends that the mountain roads still have ice in the shade, even mid-day - I'm a old pansy and avoid that nonsense). And riding inside the 4th ring road is painful due to the congestion.

BTW, when you tire of owning a "Suzuki", just replace the decals with BMW, Harley, whatever ... simple, and much less expensive!

Cheers
    Richard

5. #5 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks Richard. I'm actually planning on going to do some window shopping for some Ducati decals this weekend :) Also plan on picking up some blue locktite to make sure she holds together for the beating it will undoubtedly be forced to endure as I learn to ride something that has two wheels rather than four.

6. #6 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by GJN View Post
    ...plan on picking up some blue locktite to make sure she holds together for the beating it will undoubtedly be forced to endure ...
    "乐泰 243" is the REAL thing from Henkel
    There's also TONS chinese version w/ that number. MOST are OK but TiC...
    Last edited by humanbeing; 02-24-2011 at 12:09 PM.

7. #7 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    C-Moto Senior
    How long have you been riding? You mentioned that you have had a scooter, is that the only other two wheel vehicle you have owned?

There's lots of basic advice you will hear, I'm sure. Most of the advice I've gotten was either not possible to head (it required some instinct based on experience) or I decided not to head it. Most of the time life lets you off with a "warning", such as your lesson on keeping new tires on a bike is one. There will be others, you just need to break the 6 month statistic.

8. #8 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Well, I've ridden dirt bikes and quads on and off for a few years, and I rode that scooter hard for a solid year - between wudaokou and guomao 3-4 times a week. But as for an actual street bike, can't say I have much experience. I know; take it slow, parking lots are a great place to practice, always assume you haven't been seen, install air horn. But really, I am very open to advice. I'd rather learn from other ppl's mistakes/experiences than go through them myself.

9. #9 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    Welcome and nice bike you have.

10. #10 Re: New Rider in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Confirmed. Going to laoshan this saturday morning begin process of getting license. Goodbye 2000rmb and hello legal riding :)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast