Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Suzuki Jimny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Suzuki Jimny 
    250px-Suzuki_Jimny_JB23_001.JPG

Does anyone have experience of these things? i have to get a vehicle urgently, without debating the TYPE of vehicle and the small engine all of which I know - I could do with feedback as I am too ill to do much other than internet research at the moment and have to buy something soon and there is one on sale local to me, less than $10K less than 100K km and 2005 which all seems reasonable. I doubt if I will last ten more years, it should, I hope.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #2 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    jape,
    I had a 1987 Suzuki Samurai which is an older version of that vehicle and it lasted more than ten years for me. I foolishly sold it several years ago with 120k miles on it.
    Too bad but we can't get a small street legal vehicle like that in the USA.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    Thanks buddy! I get an OK feeling about it but for reasons not worth going into this is my last bit of available cash and I didn't want a lemon, Internet reviews vary from good to bad as usual but enthusiasts seem to LOVE 'em. The local one is 80,000km and looks clean, probably like my bike, doesn't do much serious off-road but drives the gravel and potholes daily.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Jape, this Jimny is becoming very popular here in China, and I rode in one recently in Kunming with a doctor friend. He absolutely loves it, and strongly encourages me to buy one and forget about motorcycling. Two problems with that: I love motorcycling and I hate cars, even if they are fun little ones like this that can maneouver almost anywhere. He said he had no problem with the small engine, though he said it was not good at freeway speeds.

I think most people who own these never go off road, so a second-hand model could be a good find.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    Thanks Jeff! Going through an indecisive period at present, so the two good posts from you and Barnone makes me feel positive about it. Will go see it tonight.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    10k seems high for a six-year-old car with 100k on the clock, unless these have some marginal cachet besides the basic value of the vehicle.

sorry to hear your in a down cycle physically; get well soon goddamnit.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    If you take the 4x4 bit out of the equation then you are right!

I could get a 50,000 km vehicle or pay a couple of grand less for other vehicles, usually Hyundai and similar. But 4x4, however small, is an advantage on these local roads as the slightly tougher build of ladder chassis, springs etc. is better suited for the roughness, the potholes. You get just 5 years life on any small, low cost vehicle round here because of the constant harsh conditions, certainly no more than that before you start replacing exhausts and shockers and all that stuff on top of normal wear and tear.

I should however get ten years with this class of vehicle at a push, as I only do 10K km each year.

If I save and put a towbar on it, it will also take my bike and all my tools and essentials out of here on a small trailer in a fire, yet cruise economically if I travel.

etc etc! A proper 4x4 like a Hilux or an old Cruiser would have 150,000 km at least at that price, often much more, it would be well worked over and have a 3 litre engine and cost heaps to run and maintain.

decisions decisions decisions
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    Jape, I've not delved in too deeply except a few months ago when my wife was considering a jimny, so I was looking at reports about the new vehicle rather than used. but I think the main negatives on this vehicle are about size and power(lessness), while the positives are about build quality and longevity. there's only about 10% of americans these days (the pre-supersized quartile) that would even fit into a jimny. I've just craigslisted for jimny, and come up with almost nothing, but samurai throws up a lot of vehicles made in the 1980s and 1990s that are still on the road and seemingly in very good shape. that says a lot about quality.

i remember that you are a rider of substantial build -- 180cm or more and maybe 90+kg. I'm the same, and I thought that Dr Wang's new Jimny would feel like a toy around me. not the case at all. extremely well built, and the front seats are roomy and comfortable. there is no back seat to speak of, and even the amount of gear you could stow back there is limited. so a lot of jimny adventurers install roof racks, which of course is a negative for off-road stability.

Yes, a jimny with a small trailer for your bike and some lockboxes down the sides and you'd be good to go anywhere on your big empty continent in style.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Yes, a jimny with a small trailer for your bike and some lockboxes down the sides and you'd be good to go anywhere on your big empty continent in style.
    cheers
    Well, half of the continent would be out, half of the year except in high-lift 4x4, but yup still a few tens of thousand km of good tarmac and the same in Ok but not good roads. I just don't know if fuel is going to be affordable at all if the Middle East problems build!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: Suzuki Jimny 
    Missed it by half an hour, that'll teach me not to dither about.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast