Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Thoughts on chopper...pd-250 
    Interestingly, I asked the seller if they had sample units available and they said yes...and how many did I want?

Sample units was a term I picked up in this forum so now the real question: what is a "sample unit", do I have to send it back, and is it something I should pursue, or am I getting myself into a mess? :)

2. #22 Re: Thoughts on chopper...pd-250 
    Quote Originally Posted by bighabeeb View Post
    Interestingly, I asked the seller if they had sample units available and they said yes...and how many did I want?

Sample units was a term I picked up in this forum so now the real question: what is a "sample unit", do I have to send it back, and is it something I should pursue, or am I getting myself into a mess? :)
    bighabeeb,
    Sample unit means one unit for your testing purposes. Normally these suppliers want you to buy a container load but you want just one so that you can see the bike and do your own testing of the bike before you commit to a volume purchase. You don't have to return it.

When I ordered my Chinese mini jeep I just wanted just one so I ordered a sample unit. You usually pay a little extra for a sample unit.

My Chinese mini jeep. I thought that I might want to import some for resale but when the economy went in the tank, I decided against it.
    The sample allowed me to do my testing of the unit.

The concern I have with your deal is you said they would sell and deliver the bike to your house for $1100. Shipping from China and custom fees,etc would probably run $500 or more to a port in the USA, Then home delivery shipping to your house would probably run $350. So I think something is lost in the translation but I could be wrong.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #23 Re: Thoughts on chopper...pd-250 
    OK, on further looking, the link that bighabeeb put up seems to indicate that the bike is actually sent from California, not from China. However, I came upon this dealer in the US who seems to offer the same chopper which is apparently made by dongfang (the same as the bobber). If you were close to California and they let you pay and pick up the bike from their warehouse, then I would say "go for it." There are too many red flags, IMO, though, so you should look retail. Here is a link, and I bet you might be able to find other retailers, too, using search.

http://www.mxmotorsports.us/Motorcycles-s/188.htm

4. #24 Re: Thoughts on chopper...pd-250 
    So I checked into this a little further and found that the identical bike is actually listed on Lifan's homepage (http://www.americanlifan.com/). I sent the folks at Lifan a message asking where it would be available in the US and received the following reply. I've also replied back and asked for clarification about the model designation as I've now found what appears to be the identical bike listed as a PD250, a rhino chopper, and a hunter sport.

Will letcha know when I hear back!

----Original Message-----
    To: XXXXXXX
    Sent: Mon, Mar 14, 2011 7:27 am
    Subject: RE: blue chopper on the lifan homepage

That is a model we are currently working on importing. May be available within the next 45 days to 6 months. When it is available it will be in our product listings.

Joe
    Sales@AmericanLifan.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123