Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Has anyone tried to mount the wheels from QM200SM to QM200GY enduro bike? I have a plan to buy QM200GY, so I'd like to know if this is possible?

QM200SM 2008 wheels- rear wheel with drum brake, front wheel have disc brake.
    QM200GY 2008(bike) rear wheel with drum brake, front wheel have disc brake.

greeting

Sasa

2. #2 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    If you're talking about swapping 17" motard with 21"/18" dualsport, yes it works. Pics of the bike will be helpful.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    C-Moto Noob
    @ChinaV

54541380_1.jpgSell_QM200GY_off_road_motorcycle.jpg

wheels from black bike can be mounted to yelow? How big modifications a can expect?

sory for english! I hope you understend me..

4. #4 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    I don't think you will need many modifications. The main problem is the speedometer, the dualsport is calibrated for 21" front and the motard is calibrated for 17". If you don't care about how fast you are going, the modification is really easy.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Cool if it is so easy!

I expected to be a problem with the front wheel, I am specially feared front fork, it seemed too narrow to accommodate motard 17 "wheel.

Thank you very much ChinaV!

6. #6 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    Well, I never heard of anyone doing it that way. Plenty of motard people swapping to dualsport wheels, but putting the motard wheels on the front forks of the old style QM200 dualsport is not going to handle very well. I think they will fit, but if you want to be sure, measure the distance between the forks and measure the length of the axle used by the wheel inside the forks. I can give you those measurements from the motard version to compare.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    C-Moto Noob
    That measures of motard would be useful in my project..
    I can try to find measurements of dualsport front wheel axle and compare.

8. #8 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Otherwise I'm a fan of motard bike but financial situation forces me to buy dualsport (unfortunately) ..
    In my country motard are too expensive, I do not know why ..

9. #9 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    Ok Jagodinac, I'm going to quote myself from an old thread that took me forever to dig up.

The 200GY "family" of bikes are all based on a common frame, engine and swing-arm. After many hours of tinkering with my old QM200 dual-sport and my new QM250 motard, I'm fairly confident that almost everything can be swapped between bikes. Using a modular manufacturing approach helps QingQi reduce cost and parts inventory. This flexibility is both a blessing and a curse. Although it gives you great options for customization, it has created a huge amount of confusion for the consumer as we constantly see different variations of the same thing from country to country. Most Chinese motorcycles are being refined by the importers, and they are the ones who decide on the component selection. What we often find on the dealership floor in China is the "worst case scenario" of how that company can make the bike. Generally you are going to see the lowest end components on the bikes found in China shops.

Originally, the QM200 used a drum brake on the rear wheel. When QQ decided to move to a disc design, they greatly improved the rear hub. It doesn't matter if we're talking dual-sport or motard, both models can be found with the old and new design.

In the rear, the dual-sport uses an 18" X 1.85" rim and the motard has a 17" X 3.5" rim. Up front, the dual-sport uses a 21" X 1.60" rim and the motard has a 17" X 2.5" rim.

CAUTION: If you're going to purchase replacement parts, or try to swap between 17/18/21 inch wheels, be very clear about which version of rear hub you have/need. It ain't gonna do you much good buying a 17" wheel with disc brake and 520 sprocket if you have an old dual-sport with drum brake and 428 chain .

Moving up to the front end, we have another issue that requires some clarification, the forks. When I saw the QM200 motard with upside down forks, I couldn't understand why QQ didn't do the same with the dual-sport. I though the length or geometry might be different, but eventually I stumbled on a few pictures showing dual-sport models with the upside down forks. You will almost never see one, but it is available. As far as I know, all motard models came with the upside down forks and only a handful of dual-sports can be found with the upgraded front end.

The rest of the differences, as CC mentioned, are mostly cosmetic. The motard has lower handlebars, the dualsport comes with a rear rack (usually), headlight design can vary based on which front forks are on the bike etc etc.

OK... so what about the price issue? I can't figure out the price differences either. At the component level, the price difference for the forks is about 750 Yuan, the improved hub with disc brake is around 300 Yuan, street tires add maybe another 200 Yuan to the cost. All together, it's only 1250 Yuan extra cost for the improved parts (based on general pricing from TaoBao). So I can't see why your local dealer can't get you the "improved version" of the dual-sport for around 13,000.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #10 Re: QM200GY to SM conversion possibile? 
    I have a question here, If i purchase the upside down forks shown in the picture above, I'm guessing it'd be a bit of a chore to bolt them onto the bike in the middle picture there, triple clamp etc all have to be swapped out too? Do you think it's worth the effort or should I just fix up the current ones with new seals etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast