Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    That's a happy ending indeed. Are you referring to the European VAT, or China's VAT?

Looks as if all you need now is a bike!

Oooh, you're just rubbing it in, huh ? ;-))
    I'm refering to the French VAT, 17%.

2. #12 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    An update for Shanghai :
    The Qiyi shop opened a new store on Pubei lu, Minhang, same street as the BMW, Benelli and Suzuki shops. The Manager didn't really "open" it yet, but I went there and bought plenty of stuff for my GF last week.
    They're specialized in Spidi stuff (leather and mesh jackets, pants, back protection, gloves, protection pads for knees, shoulders, elbows, etc.), but they also have a nice selection of helmets (AGV, Caberg, Schuberth, etc.) and boots (Xpd).
    The address : 231 Pubei Lu, just at the corner with Guilin lu, near the ICBC Bank.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-04-2011 at 05:03 AM.

3. #13 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Hi fred thanks for this info! Nice to know there's a good bike shop not too far from me! (i'm in xujiajui)

Do you happen to know if they sell the HJC flip-up helmets, or if don't know do you have their contact? I wanna get one for my gf and wouldn't mind supporting local efforts!

4. #14 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Felix,

Here's the website run by Qiyi Motorcycle Accessories aka 上海骑翼摩托车用品有限公司, run by Simon Wang aka 王俺云 (Wang Anyun).

His original shop was way up in Hongkou district in Wenshui Lu.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Euphonius beat me to it ! I didn't see HJC helmets, but I wasn't looking for flip-up helmets anyway.

Just a precision, because Euphonius wrote "His original shop was..." : the Wenshui lu shop up north is still open, I went there last week too. I don't think they plan to close it, they just have another one now. ;-)

6. #16 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Simon does not carry HJC modular helmets at Qiyi. But that Chemichen shop up in Xincun Lu near scooterville has several models in most sizes.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #17 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Cheers guys! This is all useful stuff.

Yeah i know they have it at chemizhen and jioaji lu, i just didn't wanna bother going out there!

8. #18 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Since this topic is about buying motorcycle gear... there's a great website called getgeared that has all kinds of riding gear and accessories at phenomenal prices, and there are often loads of specials going on. I've used them and bought a jacket, trousers and a pair of boots and got them into China without any issues. The quality of the gear is top notch, and the service I received was A+ I know it's not inside China, but since I have 3 sets of jackets. trousers and as many pairs of boots I wanted to get some alternative stuff that would work well on all of my rides, particularly my maxi scoot.
    I contacted them and they said £150 to deliver a box (can hold a helmet, jacket and pants) to china. 10-15 days by DHL, thanks for the info bikerdoc. The deals are fantastic

9. #19 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    A hundred fifty quid seems bloody expensive. I'd suggest you spend a bit of time in Taobao, as there is a surprisingly huge amount of quality stuff in there. Presumably either imported by hobbyists who also hate crappy Chinese stuff, or purchased out the back door of the Chinese factories that make the "quality" stuff you'd buy in the UK or US. And though you'll pay a premium for these things, it'll almost certainly cost you less once you factor in the shipping.

Try a comparison. Find some good deal you like in getgeared, then search for it in taobao. most international products include the name and/or model number in english in the taobao listings, so they are not hard to find.

Yes, there's some risk that the "brand name" product in taobao is a fake, but you can generally tell a good dealer from a bad one, and a "too good to be true" price from a reasonable one. I try to locate sellers that are here in Shanghai, then ask if I can come inspect the product prior to purchase.

What specifically are you looking for?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #20 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    A hundred fifty quid seems bloody expensive. I'd suggest you spend a bit of time in Taobao, as there is a surprisingly huge amount of quality stuff in there. Presumably either imported by hobbyists who also hate crappy Chinese stuff, or purchased out the back door of the Chinese factories that make the "quality" stuff you'd buy in the UK or US. And though you'll pay a premium for these things, it'll almost certainly cost you less once you factor in the shipping.
    Try a comparison. Find some good deal you like in getgeared, then search for it in taobao. most international products include the name and/or model number in english in the taobao listings, so they are not hard to find.
    Yes, there's some risk that the "brand name" product in taobao is a fake, but you can generally tell a good dealer from a bad one, and a "too good to be true" price from a reasonable one. I try to locate sellers that are here in Shanghai, then ask if I can come inspect the product prior to purchase.
    What specifically are you looking for?

cheers
    Euph makes some good points. Especially useful is the comparison idea, along with the advice that much of the riding gear is being made in China, so often what one buys from overseas, having been made here is also likely to be available here too if one knows where to look. That's where perseverance and using taobao comes in really handy. The other point Euph made was pricing, as is often then case, going for cheap or "too good to be true" pricing will often lead to dissatisfaction or inferior products, and when applied to motorcycles one doesn't want to find out just how inferior that might be when the time comes and the product is being put through such a real life test - with your life/limb at stake.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast