Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Euph makes some good points. Especially useful is the comparison idea, along with the advice that much of the riding gear is being made in China, so often what one buys from overseas, having been made here is also likely to be available here too if one knows where to look. That's where perseverance and using taobao comes in really handy. The other point Euph made was pricing, as is often then case, going for cheap or "too good to be true" pricing will often lead to dissatisfaction or inferior products, and when applied to motorcycles one doesn't want to find out just how inferior that might be when the time comes and the product is being put through such a real life test - with your life/limb at stake.
    Question for China guru's, though I don't know if this question has an answer. Just how do you figure out the true price? Seriously, I've haggled down prices to 1/10th asking price sometimes, and I left wondering what the real price is... maybe I could never know.

2. #22 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    i need the whole lot man (for two) . helmets, jackets, boots, pants, back armour, some underwear i think. dont know how it'll be wearing the same jacket and pants for three weeks lol. Will scope about taobao now but the shipping cost i didnt think was that bad considering the quality and price of the actual pieces. Like i would get these three things

A22401115545 ALPINESTARS Hydro Sport Drystar Motorcycle Boots Waterproof Fluo
    Size: 45
    £133.29 £26.66 £159.95
    20866856 PROBIKER Motorcycle Jacket PR-09 Air Gry
    Size: 56
    £129.16 £25.83 £154.99
    H67660104 HELD 6766 Sakai Motorcycle Trousers
    Size: L
    £99.96 £19.99 £119.95
    Subtotal £362.41 £77.48 £439.89
    VAT £77.48

Total £464.88

+£150 shipping = £514. thats almost 5500 rmb in my house in 15 days or less

Thought it was reasonable after looking in qiyi's shop. Will do taobao now
    Last edited by corporal_clegg; 06-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.

3. #23 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Well corporal_clegg, let us know how you get on with your comparison to equivalent products on taobao. Just want to add that you need to be cautious and be prepared to make provisions to pay tax on the items you plan to import into the country. While there's a chance the items may avoid tax and customs duties, better to factor it in so if you go that route and get hit with the extras - it won''t be a total shock. You might like to ask the overseas seller to provide you with a padded invoice with a much lower value on the goods purchased. Chinese customs will base the duties etc on that ;)
    I've experience of this surprise first hand on motorbike accessories a group of us bought from a dealer in the USA. Fortunately we had a much lower declared value on the goods bought - just in case, and thanks to gawd we did.

Also it's better to have the goods (if you buy from overseas) delivered to your home address rather than a business, as this will likely cause customs to apply the applicable duties etc. It has to be said that there has been a tightening of the application of duties/taxes which now includes many items that never used to attract said taxes/duties.

4. #24 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bikerdoc and Clegg,

Good point about import duty. For years and years I was never tagged for import duty on shipments into China, but since middle of 2010 I've been hit with stiff duties on inbound items, even those shipped to my residence. Fedex and DHL will arrive with a tax invoice and expect to collect the cash from you on the spot. If memory serves, the duty was in excess of 10% of the shipper's invoice price. The Fedex or DHL guy then asks if you'd like a receipt; if so, the return with it a day or two later.

Ouch.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #25 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Yea import duty be damned. The last link in the first post gives the shop at this address 上海市普陀区新村路433号. Pretty good selection. Price are great, better than getgeared. Enough so that you don't know for sure that theyre fake (could still be i assume) but not as much as in the QiYi shop. Think I will get my gear there but unsure of the quality. The stuff feels better than at the motor market but still don't know for sure that it's real. Motor market's class btw. Even if your not into bikes, full of weird curiosities and really traditional chinese stuff. They were making the little rice-in-leaf packets for the dragon boat festival right beside the shop for miniature cruisers and teeny-tiny dirt bikes. Nice lock shop too. Will be there to trick out my new bike asap

6. #26 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Glad you found at least some of what you were looking for here in Shanghai. That shop in Xincun Lu is excellent. Bought a nice helmet there recently, and saw they had lots of good clothing and boots as well as locks.

Do spend a bit more time in Taobao, and don't be overspecific in your search terms. For example, search for "alpinestars 靴子" and you'll see whatever alpinestars boots are available, though perhaps not the specific model you are looking for. ChinaV recently found a great pair of waterproof boots, and I think he got them out of Taobao. search button is your friend.

Don't be in too much of a rush, and you'll find lots of decent stuff around.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #27 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    In order to revive a bit this thread, and because the cold weather definitely hit Shanghai those past days, a small update on bike gear in Shanghai : yesterday I went to the Spidi shop on Pubei lu (same owner as the one on Wenshui lu, Hongkou District) (http://www.qiyi.cc/) to look for winter gloves, as I was in the process of losing my fingers with the summer Spidi Zeta gloves, even with silk gloves under them...

Ended up buying the Motoinfinito Alaska gloves for RMB 690 : http://www.motoinfinito.com/collezione/guanti/alaska/
    I did not know this italian brand before, but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Did 50km with them, I still need to get the feel for them, as they're obviously much thicker than my summer leather gloves. But in return it makes me ride slower as I'm more focused on the feeling of the throttle and levers, so it may be a good thing.

BTW, even if it is OT : I found those hand warmers in Decathlon last weekend : http://www.decathlon.fr/15-paires-ch...d_8159094.html
    Put them in your gloves (they're thin patches), they can only be used once each, but they're keeping your hands warm for 5 hours. I did not use them as it would be a waste for 20km, but I plan to test them ASAP.
    The pack of 10 is sold 25RMB, so it's quite cheap if you plan some winter touring.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-13-2011 at 01:28 AM.

8. #28 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Nice winter glove find, Fred. Thanks for posting.

By the way, do you have hand guards on your bike? Though the best of these are designed mainly for protecting hands from brush and protecting your levers when the bike gets dropped, they also play a key role in keeping your hands from freezing in the cold by deflecting the direct flow of air around your hands.

Looking forward to hearing how the MotoInfinitos hold up in cold and/or foul weather.

thanks again!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #29 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Jeff, did you know this brand before ? I ask because I didn't, and their website is rather.... minimalist I'd say.
    Good luck trying to find some reviews of their gear on the web too, I only managed to find a few.

What do you use for winter in terms of gloves ? How's the feeling for you on the throttle ?

I do not have hand guards yet, but I'm definitely planning to. I'll go to the Yamaha shop to see if they can fit the YBR 125G ("dirt" version) hand guards on the 250, otherwise I'll use the links in the thread you mentioned.

10. #30 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Dear Fred,

This is my latest glove purchase, which I got from the guy who makes them, Helmut Klockner at Helimot in San Jose, California. They are the nicest, most comfortable gloves I've ever used. But they are not waterproof, and perform best in cool weather rather than cold. So I don't really know what I'll be using this winter.

Buffalo-Pro-top-400.jpg

Like I said, I'll be keen to know how things go with the MotoInfinitos! No, I had not heard of this brand before reading your post.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast