Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Bikerdoc swears by the handlebar mits, which are inexpensive and simple. They might stand a better chance of protecting our gloved hands than an exposed pair of gloves. Just need to figure out how to fit them over the bulky hand guards on my JH600.
    Yep, I did mean to get some photos and post them up, but haven't had a chance though I have been riding the Jetmax daily, and still exploring the mountains on a daily basis. Sorry you SH'ers you guys are missing out up there in the concrete jungle, I know since I lived there for a couple of years. About the handle bar mits... the bigger than average brand that I have several pairs of, have "ANAN" screen printed onto the fabric which itself appears as though it's a combined synthetic/cotton blend and is a dark grey colour, they also appear anf feel a little more accommodating than the average ones around. They employ a type of twined string for securing compared with velcro as is used on the other brand mits I have used and still own. Must add that the mits are great on all my bikes, but even better on the Jetmax maxi scoot which blows a steady stream of warm air up through the handlebar shrouding onto the handgrip areas. I am now riding with a full leather summer glove even when it is 1-2'C outside. A few degrees warmer and I may ride with the leather fingerless gloves.
    Prices of the ANAN mits were reasonable and probably can find them on Taobao, perhaps even buying a couple of pairs and cannibalise a couple to enlarge a pair to fit.

2. #42 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Thanks, Fred.

So you are saying these gloves at 690 RMB are both warm down to zero C and a bit below, and remain dry in light to medium rain? A bit north of US$100 is not a lot to pay for a solid winter glove, considering the alternatives...

(I'm sure my cozy deerskin gloves are NOT waterproof.)

cheers

Yes, that's what I'm saying.
    Completely waterproof, and warm up to zero C at 70 km/h, -2 C at 60km/h, etc.

3. #43 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    I use a Toread Ski glove 150RMB, with bar mitts, 20 RMB. Cheap and works, down to -5c plus bike windchill for 30 minutes on so, after that it gets painful. I need to think about feet options now.

4. #44 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I use a Toread Ski glove 150RMB, with bar mitts, 20 RMB. Cheap and works, down to -5c plus bike windchill for 30 minutes on so, after that it gets painful. I need to think about feet options now.
    Maxi scooter perhaps??? I can vouch for just how great they are for protection from the elements and worse... the dirty air conditions in China. I note that you are in bonnie ol' England so perhaps there's not as much grime as there is here, and I'm not even in a big city. Pity the folks riding in places like SH and BJ :P
    MeRrY ChRiStMaS everYone!

5. #45 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 22363
    G'Day,

Had a few dealings (Spidi gloves, Ctek battery Tender, Luma bike lock ground anchor) with them lately through the Pubei Road shop and very satisfied with the customer service.
    Yesterday picked up the AGV "Rossi" helmet for our son after 10 days as promised, they had to get a small size (M) in for him.
    Checked through the import biker clothing range (don't need any myself) and they had XL / XXL sizes in stock as well.

6. #46 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

Had a few dealings (Spidi gloves, Ctek battery Tender, Luma bike lock ground anchor) with them lately through the Pubei Road shop and very satisfied with the customer service.
    Yesterday picked up the AGV "Rossi" helmet for our son after 10 days as promised, they had to get a small size (M) in for him.
    Checked through the import biker clothing range (don't need any myself) and they had XL / XXL sizes in stock as well.
    Do you consider this Pubei shop better outfitted then the Dragonrider one in Wuzhong Lu?
    If so, where the hell can I find this shop?

E.

7. #47 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Do you consider this Pubei shop better outfitted then the Dragonrider one in Wuzhong Lu?

E.
    Dear 998S,

Dragonrider is mainly a manufacturer of motorcycle clothing of moderate quality, not great, not awful. The shop is mainly a showcase of their stuff, though they have some other brands as well, particularly a selection of helmets. They probably have the best selection of Nolan helmets in Shanghai, but it's not complete. The problem, apart from it being way the frick out on Wuzhong Lu, is that the people who work there come from the garment industry, and are not motorcyclists. They have little knowledge about motorcyclists and our needs. When I've gone there it's usually a couple of matronly ladies who can do little more than take your money.

Qiyi Motorcycle Accessories, which operates the "Spidi shop" in Pubei Lu as well as the Qiyi shop in Wenshui Lu way up in Hongkou District, takes things to a much higher and friendlier level because the owner, Simon Wang (aka Wang Anyun 王俺云), and his wife are enthusiastic motorcyclists, which is why they opened the shops. The Pubei shop is four times the size of the Wenshui shop, and has lots of very nice gear under great international brands, including Spidi. Simon often has some really rare finds; last time I was there he showed me a new jacket and pants set from Italy that were some crazy system of water resistance and warmth, at a price of more than US$1000. Simon's wife speaks more English, as I recall, but she tends to hang out at the Wenshui shop.

Needless to say, the feeling you get in the two shops is radically different.

Another shop where you'll be served by ardent motorcyclists is Chemichen Motorcycle Gear 车迷辰, the source of HJC and many other helmet choices up in Xincun Lu not far from Scooterville (Jiaoji Lu). The owner there, Qin Xiaochen 秦尧辰, makes a strong statement by parking his Ducati in a place of honor directly inside the entrance. As noted elsewhere in the Flip Front Helmet thread, Chemichen has a lot of nice stuff under one roof.

If there are other similar "riders' shops" in Shanghai, or elsewhere in China, I hope others will post the coordinates in this thread! The H-D shop qualifies in some regard, as do the BMW and Ducati shops, but these lean hard toward dealers' interests rather than riders' and the sticker shock is unbearable, for me anyway.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #48 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    E.
    G'Day,

The Spidi Lifestyle shop is a great place to get bike gear in Shanghai, excellent customer service in my opinion and they know the stuff they sell........

9. #49 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    G'Day,

The Spidi Lifestyle shop is a great place to get bike gear in Shanghai, excellent customer service in my opinion and they know the stuff they sell........
    Great, seems some shopping time is looming ... thx for the info.

E.

10. #50 Re: Bike Gear in Shanghai 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Anyone looking for cheap as chips fake Belstaff jackets with protectors, HONGQIAO PEARL MARKET Hongmei road (corner Yannan / Hongmei road) is your place.
    Be warned, they are very lousy quality and the protectors sit in the wrong places, sizes run small and the sleeves are to short in my opinion.
    Took an overseas visitor to the market this morning, haven't been out at the market for ages, still only crap on offer..... not my cup of tea.......
    Attached Images

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast