Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi folks, does anybody know if I can get more light from my bike? I've already changed the bulb to gain a small improvement, but I've been considering "dominator" style lights, would they be any brighter? all suggestions welcome, cheers

2. #2 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    I don't know about 'dominator' lights but quite a few people have changed lights for cheap Ebay sets with success. Many kinds available with a quick search as it is a quite simple swap with often little wiring alteration.

However you have to check that they are brighter, that they have a proper beam spread (some do not). Things you also have to watch for is that the extra power draw is not too much for your wiring, that the plastic lens does not melt with the extra heat and that it is designed for left-hand side of the road in UK! Otherwise the beam can be aimed the wrong way. If you ever have an accident with after market lights that do not conform to local standards the insurance, including injury insurance can be invalidated.

So although it is easy enough, check the details, seems few do that. There was a post here about someone did that to their Pulse but it is hidden somewhere amongst lots of Pulse posts many of which go in circles, you will have to read them all!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I... is that the extra power draw is not too much for your wiring,...
    You need HiD Xenon (Stock HiD made by Hella from f***ed car is a good thingy if knows how to DiY ) or upgrade the stator (stock ~ 17xW ONLY ) for "conventional" bulb
    Honda CBR250 ( Δ) stator is a "direct" upgrade for these machine (stock= Y) .
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_16803658.htm
    Last edited by humanbeing; 03-08-2011 at 12:48 AM.

4. #4 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Have a spare set from the car - What is the headlight - Is it a H4 or a H7 headlight

5. #5 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    2.5"-3" hid lens. Need cut hole & fill gap w/ silicone sealant etc e.g. http://motorcycle.sh.cn/viewthread.php?tid=696812
    Pls study HARD the steps about this mod online b4 attempt by urself. Finished product: http://motorcycle.sh.cn/viewthread.p...uthorid=280358
    Last edited by humanbeing; 03-12-2011 at 06:36 AM.

6. #6 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    37, I tried the dominator type and don't recommend them for your ride. Since they have two lights you will be driving twice the wattage. They come with 55 or 60 watt bulbs so you need 110 to 120 watts to drive them. As the stock bike only puts out 150w total you won't have much left to power anything else. I tried going to two 35w with some success but the light output wasn't that much better to justify the cost. Also, I had a little trouble with the wattage draw, 70 watts. The bike's stock plug melted so I had to wire direct.

I finally switched to a headlight that is used on a Yamaha. This what it looks like on my bike. These are before and after painting. I had to fabricate some brackets to attach but I'm happy with the light. I have a 45 watt in there now and will be going to a 60 watt this spring. I was woried that the higher heat might melt the lens (it comes with a 35w) but I haven't had that problem. There are good vents (2) in this light and I have more air flow since I removed the running light. The light has adjustability, also. Most do not. It allows me to aim the light properly.
    Attached Images

7. #7 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That's a really good looking light, what yamaha is it from? and when you say the stock plug melted you don't mean spark plug do you? how did you wire the light directly, thanks

8. #8 Re: Pulse Adrenalin; better light? 
    Nope, not the spark plug. There is a plug that converts the wiring to an H4 halogen for the U.S. Not sure what type you are running. The three pin connector was running too hot with the extra wattage and melted a bit. The lights (the Dominators) were flickering on and off on the way from work. I noticed that the highbeam light went on without me doing anything. These bikes are wired such that when the headlight fails the highbeam indicator lights up. Pretty ccol...and safe. I found out what the problem was when I got home. I eliminated the plug buy cutting the wires before and after it and splicing them together with some solder and shrink tubing. No ploblems after that. I'm still thinking about putting a relay in to avoid any heat issues in the future.

As for my current light, I got if off Ebay. There is link here for you in the U.K.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEADLIGHT-FAIR...item3359496670

It looks like this one that's on the Yamaha WR450F. The mounts are the same based on the pictures I've found in my searches. I've also included a picture of what the Dominators looked like also. Between the two, the Yamaha type was by far the easier to mount. Yeah, I know, the Dominators look cool and all, especially with that little fairing (which actually worked at bit) but I can't recommend them for our bikes. There's just not enough juice to push them nor would the stock wiring handle 120 watts if it could.
    Attached Images