Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Old Lady, First Bike! 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'm so excited, I have to sit on my hands to keep from waving them around!

I have recently gone back to school devised a wonderful idea to save gas, save a few extra miles on the ol' mini-van, and have something to ride with my son who got his first dirt bike last summer.

I had to do a lot of research on my own because I don't know many non-dirt bike people where we live now. I found a Q-Link XP 200 for less than half the cost of other similar bikes. I knew I wanted a dual sport to meet the many wants and needs of my ever changing female mind. It's the perfect color, but I'm having trouble deciding on a matching helmet.

2. #2 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    Just be sure your helmet has good ear protection. We drink, swear and argue on this forum. You are welcome to join in with that and you will find many posts on your chosen ride and detailed advice if you wish it. Most will even be polite and helpful. So just what colour is your bike? Photos are always enjoyed, females of all kinds and genders very much appreciated with or without waving arms. However, on your Qlink, 'all the gear all the time' would be the go, as the bishop said to the actress.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    Lacy,
    Welcome to the mad house.
    I have the faster orange colored XF200. Great bike to ride in the mountains.

And what color did you get?
    Last edited by barnone; 03-08-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #4 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    Wow, congrats of your brave, wise, intelligent, and open minded decision to buy enduro. Or is it supermoto? Anyway. Pics or you don't have it.

5. #5 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the welcome and warning! I've been in the military on and off for almost 15 years, I've done my share of "scaring the normies"...

My computer isn't showing my phone on the My Computer thingy, I'll have to e-mail pics to myself from the phone and download them on the puter. It's the orange 2008 with some black and a touch of silver/white. I wanted the white one, but while I was comparison shopping at other dealers for a shorter seat height someone ninja'd in from another state and got it before I finally made up my mind to just get the first one I wanted... women can be so difficult I hear :)

I've been told to dress for the crash, not the ride and a few other words of advice. I think I've narrowed down helmet choices to the Shoei Hornet DS Sonora (which comes in black and orange), or Icon Variant or Joe Rocket Hybrid DS. Both come in plain black, but my orange stick on pig-tails are on the way... maybe some decals will help snazz it up too..?

My daughter did wonders on my sons helmet with an air-brush to make it match his racing suit. He has a little Honda CRF70, but he's small for a 10 year old.

I'm a total Star Wars nerd and plan to get "SWOOP" for my bike license plate to match my mini-van's "JEDIMSTR" and other car's "SITH LRD".

6. #6 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome Lacey, and you should amend your headline. No one, man or woman, who rides a motorcycle is "old". Motorcycling is our answer to the health care crisis. Well, except when we break a bone here or there. But that keeps you young too.

As for helmet fashion, sheesh, of course black goes with everything! Just make damned sure you wear it, every time, no matter the color. Along with good boots, a good jacket, and, ideally, zip-in pants. And gloves. Start with Craigslist. I've noticed there is always a lot of women's gear in there, probably because the "c'mon, honey, riding together will be fun" thing didn't work out. All The Gear, All The Time. "Dress for the crash, not for the weather." There, I said it. Now have fun.

We've got some epic women in this forum, starting with Sabertooth_Buterfly down in australia who builds her own mini motards!

Your story will be a good one, and you should feel free to post as often as you please. We'll be riding with you.

Ride Safe!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post

I've been told to dress for the crash, not the ride and a few other words of advice. . .
    I can vouch for that! Good advice. Better to sweat than to bleed.

My daughter did wonders on my sons helmet with an air-brush to make it match his racing suit. . .
    Be careful before applying paint or adhesive stickers to your helmet. Some paints and/or adhesives will chemically react with the helmet and that can cause the helmet to not do it's job properly. Professional painters should know the safe combinations.

Good luck with the new bike.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

8. #8 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    C-Moto Noob

I made a photo album because I don't have a URL for my pics... struggling to get with the times and learn how to post pics and stuff. I can't wait to get it out in the sunshine and get more pics with pretty green scenery and just spend time bonding with it. It will be another weekend before I get to do anything, but that just gives me more time to decide and order gear. Our area doesn't have a lot of options for that sort of thing, and I'm sort of hesitant to order something that may not fit. I'll be taking a safety course soon, and I want to be prepared.

9. #9 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 

I made a photo album because I don't have a URL for my pics... struggling to get with the times and learn how to post pics and stuff. I can't wait to get it out in the sunshine and get more pics with pretty green scenery and just spend time bonding with it. It will be another weekend before I get to do anything, but that just gives me more time to decide and order gear. Our area doesn't have a lot of options for that sort of thing, and I'm sort of hesitant to order something that may not fit. I'll be taking a safety course soon, and I want to be prepared.
    Is that orange your bike? Very nice! Warms my heart to see an enduro getting a good home.

10. #10 Re: Old Lady, First Bike! 
    C-Moto Noob
    I've been busy with mid-terms, but I'm on spring break now. I haven't had a chance to ride, but I have been collecting some gear. I took some pics today because the sun kind of came out for a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast