Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Can't really remember anyone ever saying stuff like "you should not wear helmet" or "you should not wear full face helmet". If I would hear something like that, I would probably take it like some random phrase saying nothing.
    With apologies to my fellow Americans, you overestimate the quality of the gene pool in America!

"Helmet Laws Suck" website

OK, they are not saying riders SHOULD NOT wear helmets, but they come pretty damn close. Their argument: Helmets are dangerous, just like airbags!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I wear a full face helmet every day, irregardless of the weather. Saved me many times from being smacked in the head by flying bugs, and at least once from a rather large stone that came flying off a truck. I can't imagine riding without one, and I always urge my friends who ride in China to put one on (even going so far as to donate a couple of them rather than watch them ride without). First date with the current GF began with buying her a helmet so she could enjoy a trek out on the bike with me, she's still with me and so is the helmet 2 years later :).

My gear - Full face helmet, mid wrist length leather gloves with plastic inserts on the knuckles, a good pair of Alpinestar boots that need replacing after 3 years wear and tear, either a full length textile jacket with armor padding under a full length leather coat, or a shorter leather coat also with armor padding for good weather. I've got a pair of textile snowboarding pants that I've been wearing the last couple of months in the cold weather, but I know I need to get some proper riding pants with knee armor.

3. #23 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Nuhaus,

Interesting point about pants. I have a friend in California who was involved in a horrific crash in Idaho, taken out by an 18-wheeler. She was wearing full leathers, but she had failed to zip them together in to a single unit -- which is something we all can easily forget. As a result, the jacket pulled up and the pants went down, and in addition to having multiple bone fractures and serious internal injuries, she also lost a ton of skin, and required months of hospitalization.

Don't want to turn this thread into fright night, but it really is those little things that can lessen, even slightly, our odds of catastrophic injury.

I still wonder if there was anything I might have done to project my clavicle in my fall in Kunming. I wear a thick, close-fitting leather jacket that has very nice armor in the shoulders. But I'm thinking that, short of those motion-sensitive air bags now on the market, there's really nothing that could have helped. Well, if I'd responded better to the circumstances and gotten away from the bike as it went down, rather than clinging to it. As I recall it in my mind, there really wasn't time to react much.

Good on you for taking good care of the GF. It's a powerful for of affection, respect and maybe even love to insist on suiting up. And imagine what the rest of your life would be like if you were OK in a getoff but your pillion was seriously hurt for lack of proper gear....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    With apologies to my fellow Americans, you overestimate the quality of the gene pool in America!

"Helmet Laws Suck" website

OK, they are not saying riders SHOULD NOT wear helmets, but they come pretty damn close. Their argument: Helmets are dangerous, just like airbags!

cheers
    One thing I have learned and it is that you can't argue with fanatics or believers.

It is indeed close politically to say you should not wear helmets if you say helmets are dangerous.

That said, I respect people's right to risk smashing their head like a shell of chicken egg.

5. #25 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Nuhaus,

Don't want to turn this thread into fright night
    Too late.

Encounters with trucks are never bound to be good. Always gives a healthy respect for the risks we are taking when we encounter those true life tales.

On a similar note, the only person I've met who got knocked unconscious after an unscheduled dismount is also the only person I was unable to convince to wear a helmet.

6. #26 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    Something im wondering about the armour. I've found a jacket that I like, seems not too hot, has removable innards but doesnt have any hard bits. Like it has some extra padding on the the bendy bits and back but only really offers skid-defense. Would you pair this with one of those body armour sets (that seems like a sort of excosceleton) underneath or wear hard pads on the outside/inside (?) or just get a jacket with the hard bits built in. Its kind of hard to figure out whats best to get for like an all purpose convenient set that I wont be tempted to take bits off or open up when i get sweaty.

When you talk about body-armour do you specifically mean hard gear or does this also include padding and abrasion resistant gear?

7. #27 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    Armour has a different purpose to the abrasion resistance of leather or kevlar of course, it is designed to protect against knocks and crushing and to a small extent against piercing impact. Nothing apart from maybe airbags will really help in a 100 kph crash into an object or worse against a moving object with combined speed to take into account. You also have the effect of you hitting the armour. You should read up on the design rules and ratings according to where you get the armour, ie Euro or US and work it out for yourself. I know that Travis Pastrana has stopped wearing knee braces because he thinks they caused him imjury twice. It also depends on the type of off. MX, you want knee brace and all the external gear, road slide, you want good leather AND kevlar.

Nothing will stop you choosing not to wear all the gear on a really hot day when you are just going 'up the road a few km' for some reason. Apart from self discipline. I have a jacket with built in hard back protector and padding, all EU, hardly ever wear it, too bloody hot and bulky. I have a Fox overarmour set, never worn it much. But I wear leather jacket and kevlar pants whatever the weather and if I was touring I would wear the purpose built stuff because of the increased odds of daily riding new ground. If I was commuting everyday, I would do the same and upgrade the helmet too. There are ride reports here where you see the lads wear over armour and light weight gear, you see them fall off (slow) and recover to, so basic stuff does a basic job and obviously you can train yourself into the mindset of wearing it every time. Its your skin and bones.

Comfort is also part of the choice. You have to try it all on and imagine whether you would get comfortable if in it all day. You can get lighter mesh and armour suits but whatever the weather and wherever they are, professionals wear all the gear, all the time, usually a full set of leathers. I have googled and read many many pages of reports on all this stuff and seen various conclusions drawn about all of it but nothing in all the tests yet beats full leather for slides. For impact, good luck and a clean life and good Insurance, for the family to continue on with.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #28 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    One thing I have learned and it is that you can't argue with fanatics or believers.
    I need to keep telling myself the above.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

9. #29 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    hey, I d like to ask you for advice. I have that Jialing 150, my first bike good helmet and my jacket from taobao that sucks. I ve read all this treads about safety and 70 slide and decided to invest some money in gear. My first thought was to buy leather and spend 3000rmb on jacket, but after visit in that 798 shop i think its not enough. I've seen what they have and I like even those non jackets. There is a set 2700 for a jacket and 2400 for trousers and i think quality of this gear is very good, but they have also jackets for 7000rmb, so the set I'm looking at is some lower shelf. Does it make sense to buy this Revit set not highest price range or its better to find something else. It's better to buy a set right
    And by the way, can I have some more tips how to get to that Mr. Yu's shop, because I couldnt find it,
    cheers
    JH-150GY-3

10. #30 Re: Whats your Protection? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Well, if you want to really blow your mind, head over to the BMW dealer. Jacket, pants, helmet, gloves & boots will run you over 30,000 rmb. However, IMHO, BMW gear is damn good. I love its boots & jackets. Helmets, I'd go with the new carbon fiber Shuberth for a mere 9,000 rmb. I should get back into raping & pillaging to afford my habit.

But all of this stuff is completely personal preference. Prada or LV or Coach?

Feel free to call me directly for Mr Yu's directions, or pop by the CBD on your bike and you can follow me up. Tough to find the first time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast