Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Just going through the pictures can jog your memory. I dread writing my reports for the same reason. But if you finish I'll start!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    C-Moto Regular
    Great to see all the photos! I still remember sitting down with you and being enthralled by this story. Cool report.

3. #13 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Hi Slabo, thanks a lot for putting this report together to share with us! I have such good memories from riding in that part of the world world last year, it looks like you do too!

4. #14 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Day 3

Start an early day… Oh, a jeep with an ass!

So far it's been relatively easy riding. I don't want to be late, so I'm sticking to the highway at least on the way up to Chengdu.

On the road alone. Ride, eat, sleep.. A cleansing cycle. The road is really easy so I have to keep my head busy or .. something. I play games in my head, talk to people, talk to myself, note to self… must write so so .. Must do this, and that, must not forget .. and so on..

First and only problem during the trip! Rear brake locked up..

It’s not cold, not chilly, untill I enter a tunnel.. Many long and dark tunnels, and I have a pathetic little bulb I call my headlight.

The landscape is starting to change. A lot more green, the air also feels misty.

I'm tired, lunch time! Let's see what's happening in the town ahead.

Can someone tell me what this sign is about? "Live and let live" ???

Here's a closeup

What are the doing here? Probably bottleling the spring water?

The local billiards club.

Lunch! Noodles please, no meat.

The local bus.

Wonder what they do in there…

Here's a closeup

Again, the story behind this, anyone? I only recognize the emblem but how come I never see this in the cities?

Too bad I didn't ride over that.

There's water everywhere.

And I'm not supposed to be here?

I stayed on or near the G80 highway throughout Yunnan, exiting and entering as I please. No one really bothered to stop me.

This is beginning to feel too easy.

Yunnan border! This is the first time police approach me. I think they're trying to tell me I'm not supposed to be here, but really there's no other place to go, so they wave me on. Other than police, people also changed a lot. Anyone who spent anytime in Yunnan knows the Yunnanese laid back, I don't give a f%^k attitude. I really noticed a big difference as soon as I crossed the border, or a bit before. At a gas station, I asked the cashier where I could wash. She closed the cash register, came out from behind the counter, and walked me to a the water tap, then she actually took the time to hold the hose while I wash my face... Shocking to anyone who spent anytime in Yunnan where the standard answer to any question is "ahh?" if any answer at all...

Hmm, border patrol police make a good living!

Chengdu, 310 km to go! It's 6.45 now, I'm sure I can make it tomorrow. Ehem….

I took the next exit to Yibin. This time, the mechanical arm at the toll gate hits my helmet! Never thought I'd use my helmet like this. This is an early warning about Sichuan police.

Yibin university.

Before coming to this restaraunt, I found a small hotel, payed for a room, and parked the bike in their hallway, all ready for a good night's rest.

I ate so much. 2 plates + 1 bowl of rice. Should have cost about 20rmb, but they just wouldn't take any money.

After I came back, the manager, or hotel owner is saying I can't stay here, this hotel can't admit forigners. I argue with him, and everytime he turns to his wife to a yay or nay.. for about half an hour, but finally she shakes here head.. no no .. The man explained that it's not upto them, the police on the phone kept saying no, I can't stay here. They lead me to a 5star looking hotel 10 minutes away. No, I want to save as much money as possible for the Chengdu bike market. Another reason for this trip is I could spend sometime and money on farklings. I thought, if the police are saying I can't stay in any hotel I chose, they'd better come here and tell me why.

"No, I'm staying right there.." In protest, I took out my matress, spread it out on the sidewalk right near the entrance of the hotel, and lay down like a hobo.. 10 minutes later, the lady from behind the counter comes out with blankets, seeing I don't have a sleeping bag.
    AAhhhh... humbled and ashamed, I got up and started looking for another place to stay. Walking in the rain, two and a half hours later I found a place that didn't mind taking in foreigners. Strange, didn't look any different than the others. It's 12.30 am, but at least I can take a hot shower and sleep in a clean bed.

Later I heard this is a common law through out China, but I'm just getting to know how serious Sichuan police are compared to Yunnan.

A no smoking sign near the ashtray. Hmm. Not as dangerous as the previous hotel, there was an electric socked right under the shower head on the wall.

Last edited by slabo; 03-31-2011 at 04:58 PM.

5. #15 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Aw come on, lets see you smile! Such pretty girls, I would be.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #16 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Thank you very much of the very good pictures. Very amusing to see how people live in China. This site is a great window to China, thanks to you all.

7. #17 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Day 4
    Rain, little did I know this will be a long long day. 9 am, a marching band of drummers. I ride for 10 minutes in the rain, and quickly decide my I need some more protection. I bought the common overcoat everyone else buys, for double the price ofcourse. They quickly prove to be useless, at least against Chengdu rain and on a motorbike. At least my boots are holding up so far, and I don't feel too cold yet. I manage to sneak past toll gate... and back on the highway. I'm running late, and I really don't want to miss that boat.

More coming up .. gota sleep now..

8. #18 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Hopefully you keep the report going. Has been an excellent report and pics.

9. #19 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    yeah keep it coming! i just read through day 3 again, very entertaining!

10. #20 Re: Kunming -> Chengdu -> Kunming [2010] 
    Keep it coming Slabo, a lot of good stuff in this report.

Plenty of these micro hydro plants all over Guangdong, don't know how much power they make, but much nicer than coal.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast