Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    The United Motors bikes are Hyosung, a Korean brand, and they aren't too bad. They are currently priced at the same level as a QLink XF200 (~2700bucks). As they are Hyosung and already have more prolific distribution, I would think that parts would be more commonly available.

If you go check them out, let us know what you think.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I emailed UM regarding the SMF200 and their dual sport version (forgot the model number). I got a quick response from them. Both of those models have been discontinued and replacements are not planned. In his message he said that the seat height was an issue on those bikes. They are about 35 inches high which is high, but there are taller bikes. He did say that parts will be available and that the brand will still exist. Maybe their scooters and sport bikes are doing well? This is kind of a bummer, Qlink and United Motors seemed like 2 promising brands.

here is a video detailing qingqi's history including thier relationship going back to 1984.

has lotsa good info.

You know the seat height could prove a problem, im six foot and I almost never have both my feet on the ground, I of course like tall bikes, but most probably dont, but that cant be the reason, and why would the Q-link web sight have pics of the new xp200 with the inverted forks. I will be really disappointed tho, I really enjoy this bike, and hyosung is here to stay, they race there sport bikes here and sell them right next to jap bikes on the SHOWROOM floor. Could there be a problem with Q-LINK, maybe they are not such a great company, Besides what about SUNDOWN, same bike and they are all over utube, if a good bike like this cant make it here, I might give up on china bikes and go back to used japs.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY151 View Post
    Right now I have a few dirt bikes (none street legal) CRF150F, KLX 110, CRF50. One of each size. haha (Im really into minibikes) Thats why Im looking into the XF200, somthing I can ride to work and around town. Would you know where I may find a QINGQI model here in the U.S.
    The phone number I listed earlier of the place in Richmond, VA has one in stock for apparently 2,200USD. I was told they have two..one in silver and one in black...but now the information seems to be different. They also claim to have parts available but to what extent is not clear.

It may be worth giving them a call if you know you want the bike but, unfortunately, don't expect outstanding customer service from these guys.
    I will also call them myself and see what the scoop is.

CC

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by rizn View Post
    Could there be a problem with Q-LINK, maybe they are not such a great company, Besides what about SUNDOWN, same bike and they are all over utube, if a good bike like this cant make it here, I might give up on china bikes and go back to used japs.
    There does not seem to be anything wrong with the bike or the manufactuer. I believe the problem is QLINK. From what I heard from my local dealer is, whenever they had to make a claim (which were not many he told me) or try to order parts, it seemed to be a problem. He said something like (and dont quote me on this) the manufactuer would be revoking the contract with QLINK. With that, he said he would not be getting anymore of the bikes. Now, I dont know if he said what he said about QLINK just to get me to buy a bike he had. He cuold be blowing smoke. Although I did call QLINK the day before to ask them when they would be receiving more of the bikes, they could'nt tell me squat. I asked him for a guesstimate, like a month or two, he had no idea. So all we can do is wait, Im sure Carl will have some more info on this soon enough.

7. #47 State of the Industry... 
    Rizn, Wizzy, et al,

Both the UM and QingQi bikes are likely the best units available in North America from non-Japan Eastern Asia and should be available at a reasonable price.

It's a damn strange thing we're witnessing here but it's a textbook case in business studies. Producing a good product is not enough. A product and producer needs a strong culture and philosophy behind it to represent and proliferate their name and merchandise. In the Western world of motorcycling, this means customer support, grass roots participation and extensive media advertising...almost all of which are absent.

I think in the next couple of years a manufacturer with deeper pockets will step up to the plate and try to properly represent. Distributing directly is extremely important because if you leave it up to most importers, what you'll get is money grabbing as soon as they realize a product is in demand. The price hike on the XF200 from 2,000 to 2,700 dollars is outrageous and a great example of this. The new Loncin PY250 is 3,500CD and since it's not really worth that much, people will look at it but probably turn away.

The few green eyed, sticky fingered, short sighted, importers are not doing the industry any good and can easily take advantage of the manufacturers since they are struggling for survival and virtually helpless to do anything about it.

But there is hope. In the short run, we need a virtuous importer who believes in these good products, understands price gouging is unethical and wants to see growth for sake of the motorcycle community. In the long run, manufacturers need to spend the time and resources necessary to understand the culture to which they're selling by riding with the community, taking part in local level racing, sponsoring young promising riders and dig in for a long term growth strategy. It's very possible this is already happening as we speak but we won't see the effect of this for months to come.

Patience is what we can contribute as well as our voices. Many of us know how frustrating it is to speak loudly for the interest of the C-Moto industry only to have our thoughts and ideas pushed aside in the interest of a dollar. I feel QingQi has been mostly honest with me regarding their capabilities and interests but most of the manufacturers are large state-owned organizations which are difficult to move due to corporate inertia and lack the ability to adapt this quickly to a new marketplace. Even if they mean well, it may take forever before a green light is issued to invest the necessary resources to make the appropriate changes in business strategy.

As a result, this may take some time and it's not likely to happen today or even this year. I don't want to discourage anyone from buying Chinese motorcycles but feel we should all have a sense of what's going on in the industry to set our expectations accordingly.

The early adopters of an idea or product almost always have the most difficult time. It's a risk that some are willing to take and others are not.
    Maybe we end up buying second hand Japanese bikes, maybe we don't, or maybe we have one of each. These are all personal decisions based on our individual situations and we need to do whats best for us as we try to get the most from our hard earned dollars. Be honest, do what you feel is best and the rest will work itself out one way or another...in time.

Although the uncertainties are many, one thing is for sure ... KEEP RIDING!

CC

Quote Originally Posted by rizn View Post
    ... I will be really disappointed tho, I really enjoy this bike, and hyosung is here to stay, they race there sport bikes here and sell them right next to jap bikes on the SHOWROOM floor. ... if a good bike like this cant make it here, I might give up on china bikes and go back to used japs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    The United Motors bikes are Hyosung, a Korean brand, and they aren't too bad.
    Actually, not to make you sound like an idiot or a fool, or total nutjob, or dweeb,or imbecile or just someone out to make false claims as true, the UM bikes are/were Skyteam sourced--made in China, with a Loncin engine (you could call Skyteam yourself to confirm the engine manufacturer), but I know they are Chinese sourced. UM not carrying them might actually be a good thing, as that is why skyteam stopped selling bikes under their own brand name-they had an exclusive deal with UM. Qlink and Qingqi obviously don't have an exclusive deal, which is good for us (in the US) now. Perhaps Skyteam could bring their own bikes (maybe direct distribution to avoid the problems you had mentioned with importers) into the US? But I had written to them months ago, and they said that UM was their exclusive distributor in the US (and in some of the countries south of the US border, too).

Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Actually, not to make you sound like an idiot or a fool, or total nutjob, or dweeb,or imbecile or just someone out to make false claims as true, the UM bikes are/were Skyteam sourced--made in China, with a Loncin engine (you could call Skyteam yourself to confirm the engine manufacturer), but I know they are Chinese sourced. UM not carrying them might actually be a good thing, as that is why skyteam stopped selling bikes under their own brand name-they had an exclusive deal with UM...
    Hmmm...my bad. I saw them represented as Hyosung in the ChongQing Motor Expo but it makes sense at least some of their products are Chinese outsourced.

-200GY-

Are you saying the 650 Mirage, Comet and GT650R are produced in China?

-Mirage-

-Comet-

-GT605R-

Inquiring minds want to know.

CC

P.S. - Forest through the trees, Simon. Forest through the trees.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    UM in USA: road bikes, Hyosung, from Korea. Dual sports and scooters, Chinese.

tcs

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast