Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Searching for alternative mufflers, I've found this picture of a Chilean QM200 fitted with something called a Pro circuit T4 pipe:

It appears to be made and sold in the US. There are several sites, this one for example:
    http://www.partsmag.com/0410/Pro-Cir...cuit-0410.html

There's lots of mentions of expensive words like "titanium", "stainless steel", etc so It will probably cost an arm and a leg.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

That exhaust looks pretty mean, wonder how easy or difficult it was to install?

bex,

i am investigating this application. i do not believe it is a pure slip on. i believe some basic mods are required.

it is up in the air right now about welding requirements and custom bracket requirements.

as of right now the only true slip on application that I personally am aware of is the jp/fmf. it is a custom fabricated pipe made from 2 pipes. i just want to stress that this pipe in stock form is available almost anywhere but will not slip on without the modifications done by jp.

but looking at your avatar it appears you own the zongshen sierra 200. and it is unclear if the jp/fmF pipe will slip on that.

i was thinking you were riding a qingqi/qlink/sundown/hooper/kreidler motorcycle.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    volksjagger I just check you pipe picture and I see that you have screws on it to tight all parts together. Stock exhaust was rivets. So for some reason FMF made your exhaust such way to be adle to disassemble. Do you need to replace (or place) some silensing material or something? If for some reason one day you will open it please make some pictures for us. I really wanna know that is inside. Thanks in advance.

vladg,

what you are seeing are actually hex screws. they are there so the silencing fiberglass can be replaced and repacked in the muffler.

overtime it will get worn out and need to be replaced. this allows you to basically put the muffler back to original specifications whenever you want.

sometime in the next 6 months i will do it. since you asked i will be sure to snap some pics!

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    volksjagger, have you seen message nº 10 on this thread?, if you have the chance please look inside the original muffler to see if it contains a catalyst element.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post
    volksjagger, can you do us in Europe a favour?:
    I notice that your exhaust pipe does not have a secondary air inlet port, so I think that your silencer has no oxidation catalyst either. Both these items are needed here in the EU to comply with some fatuous regulations about emissions.
    If you have a look down the muffler, on the pipe end, can you see a honeycomb-like device plugging the intake? this is the catalyser.
    It looks something like one of these:

forchetto,

i apologize for not seeing this post earlier. i do see something about 9-12 inches into the pipe but very difficult to be sure what it is until i open the pipe. i do know there is a turbine in it i believe used for back pressure allowing the power gains that this pipe is known for. pretty sure that is what i am seeing.

now as far as that hippie environmentalist restriction crap goes. i don't think you will find any motorcycle pipe made in the u.s. with the "oxidation catalyst" or the "secondary air inlet port" (i could be wrong but probably in the future if the 'we are all doomed' tree climbing crap flingers are not reigned in).

we use what is known as the "exhaust recirculation system" and it is built into the engine. we have very restrictive emissions laws in ca. you may have this in addition to the stuff in the pipe.

it is on most vehicles in the u.s. and is similar to the technology used in the new clean diesel engines without injecting a urea-based solution. it is more like the "NOx-storage catalyst" in the new 50 state legal vw diesel jetta (my next vehicle when it becomes available).

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4235586.html

let me know if you see a small, shiny chrome/stainless steel/aluminum (whatever it is) pipe coming out of the front of your engine. it should be attached to a hose that goes into a little device that looks similar to a horn. Then there will be another hose running back into the airbox. that is the "exhaust recirculation system".

our aftermarket pipes focus more on power while keeping within the noise limits restrictions of 93 decibels, which i totally agree with.

here is the manufacturers self care instructions for the turbine core 2 silencer.

http://www.fmfracing.com/media/techs...rbinecore2.pdf

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by volksjagger View Post
    let me know if you see a small, shiny chrome/stainless steel/aluminum (whatever it is) pipe coming out of the front of your engine.
    http://www.fmfracing.com/media/techs...rbinecore2.pdf
    No, my bike doesn't have that, but I know what you're referring to as I've seen it in photos of US exported models.
    Over here the exhaust downpipe has a small tube non-too-subtly welded on it and a reed one-way valve. With exhaust pulses this admits extra air into the exhaust and both burns any excess hydrocarbons and helps turn the CO into CO2.

here's a picture of this (now blanked off)port:

The Oxidation catalyst I refer to is inside the Original muffler and finishes the chemical process. Has your original muffler got that?.

I did enjoy a good laugh at your comments about the eco-mentalists...
    Last edited by forchetto; 06-30-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

no i don't have that on mine. i will snap a close up pic of my emissions setup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast