Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    So here's the situation. After riding some 6000km through SE Asia, I've grown extremely attached to my Shineray. Sure, there are more capable bikes, even ones with engines that don't explode, but I just don't want to part with my Long March...

The problem: I'm returning back to the States in early April. Does anyone have any thoughts on shipping a Chinese motorcycle back to the US? Done it before? What hideous amount of paperwork will I have to do and is it even possible with US customs?

If I am going to attempt this, I'd be shipping the bike from Phnom Penh (a whole other story) to Los Angeles. I'm less concerned with getting the thing on a slow boat from Asia, but more about what all it would take on the US side. I know the Shineray would never be street legal in Cali (probably...), luckily I still have family in New Mexico (zero emissions laws...). I know nothing about the import laws, may be impossible, but definitely worth trying.

Any advice or thoughts, let me know. I need to keep this bike.

2. #2 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    The bike needs the EPA and DOT plates on the frame and needs to be in the EPA data base other wise it will be crushed by customs. I don't think it is worth the cost and trouble since you can buy a street legal Chinese bike in the US very cheap. I imported a Chinese mini jeep and spent about $400 getting it out of US customs with dock fees, EPA and DOT inspections, tariff, etc pus the shipping ran abut $350.

Just my two cents worth.

I paid $1395 for my Qllink XF200 in the crate shipped to my house. A guy on ChinaRiders just bought a new enduro for $1500 from a dealer. Used Japanese bikes are very inexpensive. Very good late model XT225s can be had for $1800 or so.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    Yes, what he said

The bike would definitely need to be EPA certified. The US started cracking down on the Chinese bikes in 2007 as many had come here without any kind of certification. California has its own CARB, too. Your bike might be EPA certified, and CARB certified for a green sticker (off-road only in Cal), so it couldn't hurt to ask. California used to allow some of the 200cc enduros to get street registered in 2005/06, but it was probably more of a fluke (ironically, most of them were Shineray bikes since Shineray is an OEM to several improters such as Roketa).

I would be more of a "pay-it-forward" kind of person if I was in your situation. There are many, many people on horizonsunlimited.com/hubb inquiring how to get their bike into China to tour, and have not quite grasped the concept that it is virtually impossible to do so, and need to buy a bike there. Offer your bike on the thread--you will probably sell it easily. Otherwise, someone here on mychinamoto might buy it from you, or know someone who would.

The Qlink XF200/XP200 bikes are legal in California to register (might be the only enduro-style bike from China) if you really have to have a Chinese bike.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...e-travel-18898

4. #4 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi Pete,

not sure about US - but to Germany you can declare it as part of your moving back. That is to protect your property.
    For technical inspections and registration the bike does only need to meet the specifications of the country you are moving from and some safety critical items (e.g. hazzard switch).

This may or may not requiere that the bike is registered in your name or you have purchase contract stating that you own the bike for a certain period of time. Not sure about your residency status requiered and documents to prove it. I guess a residence permit in China should be sufficent.

That is a common way for German expats to get their Chang's back to Germany.
    Maybe US has similar regulations.

5. #5 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    I would call into your Embassy, after checking to see if you have any Senators or Representatives in the family that could get an aide to do the job for you. Give them all the information and tell them to just make it possible. Get some of the lard-arsed over-paid bastards out of the cafés and bars and back to work. Many of my family have been in diplomatic service in one way or another, they can wangle, pervert/corrupt anything if they choose, just requires pieces of paper and a few stamps. You could also ship it to South America and ride it home .... apparently that border is pretty easy to cross - if you feel the need to do that 'legally' I would put the bike in the back of a pick-up, partially disassembled as scrap and spares.

There are also trustworthy shipping agents in any port that know this sort of thing, as do many ship's officers. It goes on all the time, with guns and drugs and women, a motorbike is an easy thing and can be done relatively legally. A mate of mine had a favourite motorbike which come back from Asia very simply, it was under a tarp for a couple of days until the crew cut the chain, then it was ridden round the decks for a laugh. When it got to Aus it was just ridden off the dock.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    Interesting to hear someone realized motorcycles are at best more than just sum of their parts and numbers in spreadsheet!

I hope you go through the pain to ship it! Can be priceless someday in USA for you.

7. #7 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll arrive in Phnom Penh in about 5 days and will survey the scene from there. (Doing the Highway of Death from Ban Long to Sen Monorom...we'll see if the bike is in one piece after that). The bike is fully registered/plated, but will have to see what can be done about the EPA/DOT. I have the proof of purchase, but the plates are indeed linked to a Chinese friend of mine - as we understood it, the only way a foreigner can legally "own" a bike in China.

Solid tip on checking in with the Embassy, I have several friends at the Shanghai Consulate from my Expo days. Hopefully can make this one happen.

8. #8 Re: Shipping a Chinese Bike to the US 
    Quote Originally Posted by GRF_Pete View Post
    I have the proof of purchase, but the plates are indeed linked to a Chinese friend of mine - as we understood it, the only way a foreigner can legally "own" a bike in China.
    This is what most people and registration offices will tell you, but it's wrong. If you have proof that you live in a place that allows bike registrations then you can register a bike in your own name. The thing is most of us big-nosed-round-eyes live in big cities and most of these cities don't issue bike plates, so we're told it can't be done. Lie.