Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. #61 Re: flip front helmets 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    BTW, as promised, here's the map to Jim's sidecar shop / Iron Horse Saloon ...

jims.jpg

Great place to hang and meet fellow riders.

2. #62 Re: flip front helmets 
    Now, finally back on topic ...

The flip-down mechanism is already jamming on my new HJC CL-Max (only two rides!). What a disappointment.

I think I might splurge for the IS-Max BT, as Felix's find of a reasonably-priced BT communicator may tip me in that direction.

I'll try to get the CL-Max repaired / exchanged, or just use it as a back-up / extra.

3. #63 Re: flip front helmets 
    I don't think that this IS-max is a top quality helmet either, but pretty decent for the price. I got a chance to play with about 15 different ones in the various shops i went to while helmet shopping, i found that maybe 4 or 5 of them had dodgy shutting mechanisms. Some had broken locking tabs, some were bent, some didn't line up properly when closing etc... I'd say some of that is down to people playing with the display models all day and some of it is down to inconsistencies in the construction. Either way i made sure i got a fresh one out of the box and i inspected it thoroughly before buying. I'd suggest you and euphonious do the same!

4. #64 Re: flip front helmets 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    I'd suggest you and euphonious do the same!
    Damn good advice - yeah, mine was a display model. I guess I was overly excited about buying something shiny, and didn't bother to check. As I recall, it didn't make my butt look even larger than it is, so that was good enough for me.

Ride with a buddy - shop with a buddy!

5. #65 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    So far mine has been good. I had to try three or four in the store before getting one that was in proper working order.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #66 Re: flip front helmets 
    Quick update on the HJC IS-Max, if anyone cares.

I've been wearing mine just under a year now and have no complaints. The padding is holding up well and is still very comfortable. The closing mechanism has not deteriorated and it still has the same 'click' it had on purchase.

For the cold winter i purchased an anti-fog visor form this taobao shop, it works wonders. Stopping at red lights i don't need to pull up the visor anymore, i can just sit there with clear vision until i start rolling again. Absolutely worth the 100 kuai.

I recently got a chance to test it twice in the space of two days. Both were face plants, one on road and one in rocky dirt. Both falls hurt, but not my face. The chin bar held up and both times ensured that i would live to break another heart.

Now the question is, would i trust it for another hard face plant? I don't know. I'm happy it worked, but if i was planning to fall on my face again i'd still rather a full shell. These flip-ups are not rated to the same level as full shell helmets.

A wise man told me that they give equal protection 80% of the time. Does this mean that 1 out of 5 face plants will end at the dentist? Discussion please.

7. #67 Re: flip front helmets 
    felix,
    Two face plants and the flip up HJC survived? WOW. Knock on wood but I have never had a face plant in over 55 years of riding. Luckily my three crashes on the street were minor. I don't count the crashes in the dirt.

I am almost always wearing my full face AFX helmet when riding as it not only provides more safety that an open face but is also quieter.
    Last edited by barnone; 01-13-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

8. #68 Re: flip front helmets 
    C-Moto Senior
    I got myself the HJC IS-MAX and have had it for about a month now. It's the exact same helmet my dads got in the states and almost the same one I left there (I had the previous model). All said I think it's working great, except for three little irritations. For one the chin locks up in a very stubborn way. The chin has an area before it "locks up" that also lets it stay up but below that the chin will just slide down. I liked the older model I had because it had some friction for the entire course of the hinges rotation upwards. I really liked this because as I rode I could pull it up (I know euphonious may chime in with a danger warning here, it's alright euph, I know they are well intentioned ;D ) and use it as a sunshade when riding right into the sun, much better than any sunglasses or tented visor. For another the visor itself seems to have too much tension in it's ratcheting because if I close it by pushing down on either side it won't close flush but will be raised on one side and closed on the other, this may resolve itself as the mechanisms wear through use. Lastly, the chin bar doesn't want to lock down on both sides unless I grab it to the right of the "unlock" lever and press it down firmly. This might be because it has a very secure latch (I don't know) but it can be a little annoying. For the price I think still it's a good buy. By the way, I paid almost 90 kuai for the express shipping and I don't think I got it any faster so I would opt for the 25 kuai shipping if I ordered another. The helmet is comfortable and seems to be a quality product, I'm just posting about issues I've had with it.

Oh hey, and it's my 100th post!
    Last edited by Maux; 04-15-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: centenial!

9. #69 Re: flip front helmets 
    I have the HJC IS-MAX BT in matte black, love it. It was a gift from my brother when he found out I bought a bike and was riding here, he said that he wanted to protect my melon, I agreed. The fit is really great, not to tight or loose, I have found the mechanicals to work out really well, no problems at all, flips up nicely with a gentle push on the switch and a firm detent when you push it to the top. Sometimes a little difficult to get it back down when wearing it, but it closes perfectly everytime. I love it and I cant wait to get the BT I just ordered, so the gps on my phone will be very welcome as I have no directional abilities what so ever. I get lost walking across the street in my hometown. But I really love this helmet.
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

10. #70 Re: flip front helmets 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I haven't checked with the vendor about DOT or ADR yet but this looks like a neat helmet. I like full face but they are a pain when adjusting sunnies, scarf, eating, drinking, talking, anything really!

I wonder though about the strength of flip-front helmets in a crash. Can't be as strong as a fixed full-face. Any thoughts?

Attachment 3406
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matt-Black-Fli...item19c37b58a5
    As per my think full face helmet is the best for everyone because it is a very strong. If you want to other half open face helmet then it will not protect you against a big accident. You should adjust with full face helmet, if you want to full protection. Which type of helmets are you using now?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast