Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: flip front helmets 
    C-Moto Guru
    Short runs to the bakery and grocery store without chin bar, more like a Jet Helmet with visor. But otherwise with Chin bar in it. But its really easy to take off the chin bar, so you can eat/drink/dont look like a taikonaut when interacting with people.

I went to shop in Germany, told them I will ride in South China, there it is warm and I need to wear glasses. So they immediatly jumped at this helmet. I'm happy with it, suits my needs perfectly.

2. #12 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Probably not an expressway helmet. At 100kph and above you'd have a ton of wind noise, I'm guessing.

thanks for your detailed explanation.

I guess this is why folks end up having multiple helmets!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: flip front helmets 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    ... compliance with DOT, ECE 22.05 (Europe and UK), or AS 1698 (Australia) motorcycle helmet safety standards...
    How about Zeus ZS508W?

4. #14 Re: flip front helmets 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Andre,

Interesting helmet! Hadn't seen that one before. Do you generally run it with the chin bar in place?

Here's the N43 in Taobao. Yes, not cheap!
    Expensive indeed. But I really can't put a price on my head can I? Anyone seen a similar Chinese ripoff? I like the this more than the flip-modular helmets. It's lighter, better ventilated, but still good protection. I also wear optical glasses, so the built in sunshield is quiet handy. On my three-quarter Nolan, i have two visors. If I'm entering a tunnel in the daytime, I simply flip up the outer visor. Seems same on this helmet.
    If I can't find a good Chinese rip off, most probably I'll pay 1200rmb for this one.

5. #15 Re: flip front helmets 
    The vendor of the original helmet got back to me. He says it has a DOT label and was very friendly. Well, they are often friendly and a label doesn't mean much I suppose. The Ebay link I gave in the first post is to a Chinese company so if anyone likes it, it is available there cheaper I am sure.

Those Nolans were nearer rmb 2000 Naim, the 'air' ones anyway. Very nice but a bit rich for me.

My friendly local bike magazine isn't impressed with DOT safety ratings, so I shall stick to my AS full-face one for now and see what I can pick up in China when I get there. At this rate I will need a 747 to myself, just to bring stuff back!
    Last edited by jape; 03-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #16 Re: flip front helmets 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Expensive indeed. But I really can't put a price on my head can I?
    Thank you for that. I hate to be the only one that links quality to money to safety. 10 dollar head, 10 dollar helmet as they say.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #17 Re: flip front helmets 
    What does $50 make me then?
    Seriously, I am not sure, past the point of AS and DOT standards, that you do get any more safety. Lightness and maybe ventilation, longevity. Until you get up to $600 carbon fibre/fibreglass composites, those may exceed ratings.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #18 Re: flip front helmets 
    $50 makes you smarter than those that ride without protection at all, but a good $100-$200 investment in a reputable helmet is money well spent. Lightness could make all the difference when it comes to neck trauma, but I don't see many other advantages in my $400 Shoei Multitec and my $600 UVEX carbon fiber over a midline HJC or other brands in the $200 price range. The important thing is avoiding polycarbonates, they bounce when you hit the ground, not a good thing. Advanced compounds like fiberglass and carbon composites absorb the impact, which reduces neck injuries. We used to have a bunch of helmets cut in half at the old shop I worked in, there was a huge difference in the shell construction of sub $100 helmets vs the more expensive stuff. Impact ratings do not reflect the helmets ability to absorb shock, that is why a well made helmet needs to be disposed of after a hard hit. As others have mentioned, it all starts with proper fit.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #19 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I'm interested in this discussion too. I see some of the major international helmets -- HJC, Nolan, Caberg, and several others -- selling in China for maybe 33% less than in the US market, and I'm making two big presumptions: 1) they are genuine not ripoffs and 2) they are made in China so they can bleed into the local market at much lower cost. But beyond that, what is it that makes a Shoei or an Arai or a Suomy helmet worth $500, $600 or even $800 when helmets with DOT or SNELL or CE or all three ratings are selling in China for $50 or $100.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning the value, I'm just not understanding it. Last night I tried on an HJC IS-Max BT, which is "bluetooth ready" and it was the best fitting modular I could find, and I tried a lot. The price in Shanghai? 616 RMB, or a bit south of $100. That's less than half of its US$199 MSRP. Build quality was very good. Fit excellent. Is this helmet one-sixth the value of a $600 Shoei or Arai? One half? Equal? Better? Are there ratings on these things?

For what it's worth, here's the review of this HJC model in WebBikeWorld.com, which seems a pretty authoritative site.

Thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: flip front helmets 
    I'm going to look into this further, although Lorne covered most of the common-sense side as what he said about polycarbonate was new to me. I have no idea what mine is made of, but it is big and bulbous and has AS rating. I had thought that the expensive composites were just to give the same strength as that in a smaller, lighter shape (good for travelling long distance) - but needing both the expensive carbon-fibre for penetration defense and the fibreglass and foam for impact, to achieve that. I also remember the foam make-up of the EEC standard ones was different to allow for a double bounce of the bonce, (not two different crashes) and that this design was less strong than the Australian Standard which is tested for one big bash!

start here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast