Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: flip front helmets 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Last night I tried on an HJC IS-Max BT, which is "bluetooth ready" and it was the best fitting modular I could find, and I tried a lot.
    My god - this is spooky - maybe we were separated at birth.

Yesterday afternoon (this time, BEFORE you), I bought an HJC CL-Max (lower end model) for about 450 rmb ... because "it is the best fitting modular I have found". I also own a Shoei, a BMW System 5, a Caberg and several less famous brands. All are kinda uncomfortable because of my handsome square jaw, my finely sculptured cheek bones, and my extra large brain. Actually, the BMW fits the worst, but it does make me look like a cool Star Wars trooper.

I'm really happy with the HJC fit. And I didn't need BT-ready, as I have pearly white teeth, thanks. Paid a lot of money for these chompers! I hope the HJC protects them.

2. #22 Re: flip front helmets 
    Do the HJC's here in China have DOT stickers? I bought my myself and my wife HJC IS-16 helmets (not modular) online in the states before we came here because I assumed the opposite of Euphonius: I assumed if we could even find "international" brands in China, they would be fakes or at least sub-standard. I suppose DOT stickers are easily faked hopefully no one ever needs their helmet, but due to the $10 helmet / $10 head rule it seems not worth the risk.

Maybe I should take my IS-16 into a shop and compare it with a local one, I guess it could be interesting to see if there are differences. I guess some of them might be hard to determine, but if it was a fake I guess think it might stand out. Knowing how many corners get cut around here though, I'm not sure I'd want to chance it with a helmet.

3. #23 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Josh,

Scroll down through the images in this Taobao posting and you'll see a DOT sticker.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think these helmets are no longer worth bootlegging. They just bleed out of the factory and sell for a lot less than US MSRP.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: flip front helmets 
    Read this... the whole thing, don't just skim...it will make your head hurt. All bets are off, nobody really knows if a cheap polycarb is better than an expensive carbon fiber. One thing you probably do get for more money is consistent quality control and better fit and finish. Also one thing I didn't mention before, you might like a particular brand, but that doesn't mean they make a helmet that will fit your head. I love Arai, but they just don't fit, I also have two Shoei Multitecs (one USA, one HK) and they are not the same, the HK one is actually designed for Asian heads.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #25 Re: flip front helmets 
    Awesome, thanks, Jape and ChinaV.

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 03-17-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #26 Re: flip front helmets 
    Thanks Jape & ChinaV - interesting read. It pseudo-confirmed a suspicion I've harbored, specifically that most people assume that big money = big protection. But because of the millions of variables involved in an accident, this isn't really the case. I was out riding with a guy last weekend who had a very expensive helmet but he complained that it gave him headaches after an hour, or so, because it squeezed his temples. But he was adamant that he was well-protected, and felt that the "head in a vise" fit was a good thing. I kinda thought he was asking for trouble if he had a headache, but kept my mouth shut.

The article also raised a few things I've wondered about in the past.

It seems that the vast majority of in-motion accidents result in the head sliding, as opposed to a direct fall. And, actually, the direct fall can occur from just sitting on your bike and falling over onto the pavement. We all know that a person falling down and banging their head can cause quite a serious injury, even death. The added risk with motorcycling is, of course, scraping your head along the pavement from an in-motion accident.

My noggin's little grey matter therefore argues strongly for a full face helmet (i.e., protect the face / chin from scraping). Of course, I'm as guilty as the next biker - and sometimes wear a half-helmet (hot days) with shorts and running shoes. I also sometimes run across the street, mid-block, dodging traffic, Chinese style. We can't all be perfect, all the time.

The other thing I wonder about is the difference between bicyclists' helmets and motorcycle helmets. Many bicyclists zoom along at a pretty good clip on a machine that seems much less stable, yet they wear such a tiny little head protector. A cycling helmet is a million times better than no helmet, for sure, but I've often wondered why cyclists don't move towards some form of face protection. Too uncool? I guess people would laugh seeing a cyclist in a full-face helmet. But I also recall the days when any cyclist was laughed at for riding with any helmet.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 03-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.

7. #27 Re: flip front helmets 
    AHEM, look at post 20 NOW I KNOW YOU LOT IGNORE ME!
    oh well, as long as it gets read
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #28 Re: flip front helmets 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    AHEM, look at post 20 NOW I KNOW YOU LOT IGNORE ME!
    not me, buddy! Post 27 includes appropriate referencing, in accordance with academic guidelines!
    (ya gotta luv the edit function, eh?)

9. #29 Re: flip front helmets 
    Merci Monseigneur,
    Ok so I am a slack arse, should have told you more instead of just posting the link and expecting you to work it out for yourselves as members of the intelligentsia ...

I also found a great statistical follow up by one of the professors involved who did some charting on head-shape and sizes between different makes - but you can do your own googling now!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #30 Re: flip front helmets 
    Actually, Jape, I saw your link, called up the page, watched the Suzuki ad, then saw a huge long article from 2005, and thought, not right now. ChinaV put it back on the front burner by basically saying, here's why it's worth reading now not later. Hope no offense!

As for the article, against my better judgment I was up till 2:30 am reading it. By the end, I felt, well, hell, I know a lot more now, and it seems the main lesson is simple: Wear a full face helmet that meets any or all of these standards, but don't stress too much over the details of which one. It's a binary thing: Wear or not wear. Correct response: Wear!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast