Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. #71 Re: flip front helmets 
    Banned
    G'Day,

After testing a Schuberth C3 flip-helmet for two days in various conditions and speeds, bought one today, my first flip-helmet......

Schuberth C3 with SRC Blue-Tooth System
    http://www.schuberth.com/en/motorcycle/c3.html
    http://www.schuberth.com/en/motorcycle/src.html

They are available through the official China importer based in Shanghai: http://www.adrenaline-asia.net

2. #72 Re: flip front helmets 
    Congrats! You are not naive, you know what is a gooooood helmet.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #73 Re: flip front helmets 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I really like the Schuberth C3 helmet. Damn expensive, but worth it IMHO.

Unfortunately, I can't say anything good about one of the Beijing shops that is affiliated with the Shanghai distributor. I just bought a second Schuberth C3, this time the Schuberth C3W (for women). Paid full price (over 5,000 rmb) and was given a bashed up box from some other helmet, a used owner's manual, a torn hang tag, and no owner's registration card. The Shanghai distributor says that owner's registration cards are not provided in China? Huh? My first C3 helmet (bought in China) had one. A moot point, anyways, because the helmet's serial number (necessary for registration) is on the original box (which I didn't get).

I bought this second helmet in Beijing from the Motorways shop at 798 (the BMW place), and it was a horrible experience. They didn't see any problem giving me a POS box from some other helmet that looked like it had been used for staff football, or a used manual, and so on. Unfortunately, it was the only place that had the C3W color/size I needed. I definitely won't be going back to that 798 shop for anything. What a pile of idiots.

Yeah, yeah - I know it is the helmet that I bought ... but damn it, for the full, brand new price of >5,000 rmb, I also want the NEW, original box and associated stuff.

Sigh, yet another thing I need to arrange to have carried over from overseas.

4. #74 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear LJH,

Why not ping the Shanghai importer and ask them why they accept this kind of practice. You might find you get a friendly response. At risk of igniting a SHA-PEK flame war, I find that complaints are taken quite seriously here and there is a tradition of wanting to make things right. I can't tell you how many times taxi drivers here have switched off the meter well before arrival at my destination because they chose a suboptimal route into heavy traffic.

It's worth a try.

Five large!! Damn, but you must really love that pillion!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #75 Re: flip front helmets 
    Yup, chatted with the Shanghai importer - he seems decent, so far. We'll see. There is another affiliate shop in Beijing that sells Schuberths (where I bought my first one) that is really great. Unfortunately, it didn't have the right size/color in the C3W, so the Shanghai guy sent me to 798.

I am simply dumbfounded that a shop like Motorways (798) looked at me like I was from another planet when I started asking about the original box, and associated goodies. It honestly saw no problem flogging off garbage to me, and was curious as to why I would want the original stuff, in new condition.

Yup, my sweety's noggin' is worth it ... gotta keep her gainfully employed so I can play during my "retirement."

6. #76 Re: flip front helmets 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I use several modular helmets: HJC IS-Multi Nolan N43 Air Shark Evoline Series 2

From time to time I wear a flip-up helmet: HJC IS Max

Though I also have 3 open face HJC CL22

My favourite out of all the helmets is the Shark Evoline series 2 and with the series 3 out in a month or so, I've already got my name on one. and at CNY3900 its a bargain compared with the prices in OZ and NZ. I bought another Shark Evoline series 2 when I was over there for my 3 months hiatus, but cost me 30% more there than here in PRC. Lovely chubbly...

7. #77 Re: flip front helmets 
    I really like the convenience of a half face helmet, but certainly appreciate the safety benefits of a full face helmet and many years ago an off from a FJ1200 saw my nice Arai come out of that with a severe case of gravel rash. That said, I like being able to toodle along at walking pace, or pay for gas without having to remove my helmet, so after reviews of modular helmets on webbikeworld bought three different modular helmets. One is the HJC IS-Multi, another is a Nolan N43 Air and the third is the Shark Evoline series-II. The first two require manual removal of the chin piece and then stowage, however these two have multiple (6-7) configurations, though the Nolan can't have the peak on in combination with the visor, unlike the HJC IS-Multi which can, so I find that the better of the two. The Nolan also only allows the visor to sit in either the fully up or fully down positions, which I don't like. The HJC IS-Multi allows multiple increments of the visor. Both offer built-in sun goggles/visor. The Shark though is great, flipping the chin piece to the rear of the helmet shell is such an innovation it is hard when one has to go back to a normal full face helmet without such a function. The only thing I miss with the Shark is being able to have a peak on it, which in direct sunlight even with the sun goggles/visor can't stop the bright to dark transitional glare spots. That aside, the Shark is my favourite helmet, which is why I'm buying a second, the new evoline series-III which I've pre-ordered. I can stop pop the quick release mechanism, rotate the chin piece to the rear, then go about my business; having a drink, eating a snack, reading a map etc and enjoy some air around the face etc. all without the need of removing the helmet. Even have walked into gas stations still wearing the helmet (even there are stickers on the glass doors to one which I'd been going to for a month before I noticed it), as I rotate the chin piece back when I stop to fill up then proceed to walk inside to pay. Never had anyone request I take it off or point out signage.

With any of the three I got the best of both worlds, but with the Shark I got my cake and can eat it too at the same time (chin piece to the rear)... just my 2 cents worth. I'm sold on the modular helmet design concept, and am happy with all three. As I wrote above, my order is in for the series 3...

8. #78 Re: flip front helmets 
    ** Update **

Well, the Shanghai distributor for Schuberth has class. I sent an email and he responded quickly, with concern, and offered to immediately make things right. Wow ... am I still in China?!?!?! Kudos to them.

Then, Motorway (798) also responded via email, apologizing and explaining. Frankly, also a class act, despite it frustrating the hell outta me when I was in the store.

So, prior rant retracted. These folks deserve credit for providing some stellar post-sale customer service. Again, WTF? Really, am I still in China?

9. #79 Re: flip front helmets 
    ^from time to time there are real surprises and these present a glimmer of hope... Yippee!

10. #80 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ** Update **

Well, the Shanghai distributor for Schuberth has class. I sent an email and he responded quickly, with concern, and offered to immediately make things right. Wow ... am I still in China?!?!?! Kudos to them.

Then, Motorway (798) also responded via email, apologizing and explaining. Frankly, also a class act, despite it frustrating the hell outta me when I was in the store.

So, prior rant retracted. These folks deserve credit for providing some stellar post-sale customer service. Again, WTF? Really, am I still in China?
    Something tells me the sudden change of heart at Motorway/798 was precipitated by your call to Shanghai. Whatever happened, it's a great outcome. The moral of the story: Never assume that "just because it's China" it's not worth chasing up the responsible parties in cases of poor service.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast