Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
  1. #81 Re: flip front helmets 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I read the thread and it seems that quite a few of you guys use HJC IS-MAX. Im thinking of getting one online (no other way in Taizhou) but I worry a bit about the sun shield cos I wear glasses. Is there enough space under it for specs?
    If not I think ill get AGV LONGWAY but its nearly 1000 kuai more expensive so I hesitate

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=15894892187

2. #82 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    I read the thread and it seems that quite a few of you guys use HJC IS-MAX. Im thinking of getting one online (no other way in Taizhou) but I worry a bit about the sun shield cos I wear glasses. Is there enough space under it for specs?
    If not I think ill get AGV LONGWAY but its nearly 1000 kuai more expensive so I hesitate

Good question. I often wear glasses with my IS-Max, but don't remember ever trying the sunshade while wearing them. So I just tried with several different pairs. The answer: I can't pull the shield over any of them. This comes as quite a surprise! But it also says that I rarely use the sunshade.

The alternative, of course, would be to use prescription sunglasses. But then the sunshade would be as useful as, er, mammaries on a nun.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #83 Re: flip front helmets 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for a quick reply. I guess Ill get the AGV but will think if its worth the extra $$$ ;)

4. #84 Re: flip front helmets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks for a quick reply. I guess Ill get the AGV but will think if its worth the extra $$$ ;)
    Any helmet is better than no helmet. There's a lot of research about a helmet's role in a getoff, and an ongoing debate about whether paying more actually buys much more. A $750 helmet is probably not five times better than a $150 helmet, but a $150 helmet is infinitely better than no helmet. There's a school of thought that in America's National Football League, head injuries have actually increased in the decades since players shifted from thin leather helmets to current foam-padded shell helmets. This is because while the helmet may protect your skull from fracture and your skin from abrasion, it does almost nothing to protect your brain from blunt impact. Your brain is a goopy, almost gelatinous mass encased in your skull. Force equals mass times acceleration. When your head hits a wall or the ground at speed, it goes from your speed to zero almost instantaneously, meaning huge acceleration (actually deceleration). Even though the helmet maybe protects your skull, you can just imagine what happens inside your skull to the loose, goopy, gelatinous mass: Inertia tries to keep it in motion, and it slams up against the inside of your skull, causing all kinds of trauma, even though your skull may appear relatively unscathed.

Of course I'm not arguing against helmets. But physics and cranial physiology dictate that spending more does not substantially increase your safety, unless the helmet has some special ability to attenuate the deceleration the way, say, the springs of a trampoline attenuate the deceleration of your body as gravity slams you down onto it.

On that cheery thought, Happy New Year!

Last edited by euphonius; 02-09-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #85 Re: flip front helmets 

I have an HJC Flip top and the sun visor works great with my glasses but they are not the big 1960 plastic monstrosities that now seem to be in fashion. Mine are wire rim.

Also, this is the third HJC flip top I have had. I crashed in Baja at 50mph wearing one and took a hard hit in the face with no damage. (At least to the face, I also had flack jacket and broke 2 ribs but the HJC did its job)

I bought mine in the USA and carried in my luggage over here.

Ride safe and enjoy!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #86 Re: flip front helmets 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    I have an HJC Flip top and the sun visor works great with my glasses but they are not the big 1960 plastic monstrosities that now seem to be in fashion. Mine are wire rim.
    !
    It looks like its better to get prescription sunglasses with really delicate frames than buying the AGV just for the sunshade ;) Thanks, I might just do that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789