Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Laying up leather! 
    Along with the bike, some of my leather jackets and my leather pants will be 'laid-up' on doctor's orders until I get my health improved a bit and can walk a bit more and sit the bike more than a few minutes at a time. She reckons I am making things worse and I have to listen to her this time.

Usually I clean leathers every few years the old-fashioned way with saddle soap and probably about twice a year I sit down to the chore of brushing dubbin into them all. I don't mind it too much but I get through a lot of dubbin and it does take hours to do it properly getting it well into all the seams and thread. Something about the climate here means all my leathers still get dry quite quickly, maybe six months on the rack and less if worn a lot - but it is worth it, my best heavy leather jacket is decades old and still strong.

I wouldn't mind something faster in application though. Has any one used anything modern or ancient that works better, lasts longer? I was wondering about something liquid, like lanolin perhaps? Any recipes or ideas?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #2 Re: Laying up leather! 
    Sorry to hear that mate.. hope you have a speedy recovery and get back on two wheels pretty soon.
    I'm a big fan of household furniture polish, like Pledge or something similar, maybe because i'm lazy, but a light dusting and a quick rub on my leathers, helmet
    and all over my bike (this is starting to sound perverted haha) and it cleans and leaves it easy to clean next time.
    Spray a bit on a cloth and try it on your gear and bike, the second best thing to riding is keeping your bike looking smart

rich

3. #3 Re: Laying up leather! 
    Hi Richard. I was always taught, veg oil or wax on wood, animal on leather, mineral on metal, but that might just be old-fashioned thinking as I know silicon wax looks good on wood. I don't really know what is in dubbin. the good thing about dubbin is that it penetrates. I now feel free to buy some cheap, penetrating spray-on polish at the local store and try it then, so thanks! Nothing wrong with enjoying keeping things well rubbed! I still polish my boots and shoes well and I think I am the only one in Australia that does! Boot polish is no good on leather jackets, just superficial and dries out in a day I find.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2