Along with the bike, some of my leather jackets and my leather pants will be 'laid-up' on doctor's orders until I get my health improved a bit and can walk a bit more and sit the bike more than a few minutes at a time. She reckons I am making things worse and I have to listen to her this time.

Usually I clean leathers every few years the old-fashioned way with saddle soap and probably about twice a year I sit down to the chore of brushing dubbin into them all. I don't mind it too much but I get through a lot of dubbin and it does take hours to do it properly getting it well into all the seams and thread. Something about the climate here means all my leathers still get dry quite quickly, maybe six months on the rack and less if worn a lot - but it is worth it, my best heavy leather jacket is decades old and still strong.

I wouldn't mind something faster in application though. Has any one used anything modern or ancient that works better, lasts longer? I was wondering about something liquid, like lanolin perhaps? Any recipes or ideas?