Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    Hey guys,

First time poster, first time bike-owner from Weinan (A small city near Xi'an, Shaanxi). Here's my story:

I was a huge car nut in the UK. Loved my Hondas. Did a few engine swaps and car culture was a huge part of my life, but never even considered a motorbike. I moved to China and all that ended (No Chinese license, or car, or garage, etc.) Anyway, I've been in China for 2 years now, and I need to fulfil my need for speed.

So, a fellow-foreign-friend went out and bought a Honda CBF125. He did 0 research, and just got a mutual Chinese friend to buy it in the Chinese friend's name. Anyway, I'm into photography so I offered to take pics of his bike for him. While shooting, I got a chance to ride it. The bug bit me.

The very next day this foreign friend gets a job offer in Beijing, and he's going to take it, and offers me the bike for 6,000RMB. 2 weeks old with only 200kms on the clock.

So, this is where the questions start.

I wanna go legit. At the very least plates for the bike and insurance. Now, I'm not sure if my mutual-Chinese friend even got a FaPiao (tax-receipt) and I know that's maybe a required step for getting plates? Anyway; would it be easier for the friend to get the plates in *his* name; then "sell" me the bike? If so; is transfer of ownership easy? I have a residence permit with more than 6months remaining, and a long-term Chinese GF (could put it in her name if it's easier.)

What are your (experienced) suggestions? I know TIC, so any route may not be 'easy', but I'm after the easiest.
    Also, I assume the price is good (I haven't bought it off him yet.) I looked on TaoBao, and they're around 8,500-9,500 new.

Attached are some pics of the bike. I know it's a girly 125, and it's technically not a 'Chinese' bike...but; hey: It makes me smile.

Thanks,
    VTECsauce

02_small.jpg01_small.jpg

2. #2 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    VTEC,
    Welcome to the Chinese bike nut house. Hondas are welcome here since a lot of our bikes are kinda Honda clones.
    I can't help regarding the getting legal but I sure someone will answer your questions since this issue is constantly being discussed.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome ...

Every city is a little different on "the rules", but I am pretty sure you'll need a fapiao. Are there identical bikes riding around with legal plates?

Probably the easiest way to have this sorted out is to visit the original dealer.

Cheers

4. #4 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Sauce,

Greetings and what a fantastic tale about your entry to our crazyfun world.

Surely that's a Chinese-made Honda, so should be no problem making it legal, but you will need that fapiao. Find the guy in whose name it's registered, and just organize a transfer from him into your name, which will be easy as long as you have a legal residence permit. Oh, don't forget to get your license, which is another adventure altogether, as you'll see in copious detail elsewhere in this forum.

The pictures look great -- we want more! From the looks of it, you'll have a blast on that bike up there on the loess plateau. There are tons of rural roads all across Shaanxi. Just watch out for coal trucks!

ride safe, and keep us posted about your progress. You're a fine storyteller!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    Hi VTECjuice,

Your bike is a chinese-built honda and more than welcome here! 6000RMB with 200km on the clock, sounds like a steal! Go for it if there's the original fapiao!

Just to confirm the last posts, yeah you will need a fapiao to get a legal plate on her. Regarding who's name it's registered in, i wouldn't worry about it really. I've been riding bikes with legal plates in other people's names for 4 years now, been stopped many a time and that's never been an issue. Even if the bike is not in your name, you can still get the insurance in your name. That's my case.

Also, have you got a chinese driving license? That would be the only document the police will see with your chinese name on it anyway, so if you don't have one of those they won't even know that the bike isn't in your name. I wouldn't recommend that however. In fact if i'd to pick one or the other, i would think that a driving license would be the most important thing to have. If you get in an accident that can't be resolved before the police arrive, you might end up in very serious trouble not having a DL.

Anyway how do you like living in weinan? I'll be passing through there in may on a bike trip, and then moving there (well xian actually) at the end of the year. Perhaps we could meet up for a few beers at some point!

Gorgeous photo that second is! I'm thinking of setting up my screen in portrait just so i can have it as my desktop.

6. #6 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    awesome pics! enough to resurrect me from the dead. strobist info? (especially for the second pic!) do tell!!

also, congrats on the bike :)
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

7. #7 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Hi VTECjuice,
    Gorgeous photo that second is! I'm thinking of setting up my screen in portrait just so i can have it as my desktop.
    Ah, the old soft light and vignette trick. My GF did that and turned out to be an old clunker in the flesh. Matches me well I suppose. That bike does look cool, I agree!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    awesome pics! enough to resurrect me from the dead. strobist info? (especially for the second pic!) do tell!!

also, congrats on the bike :)
    What's your status on motorcycles?

9. #9 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    got thrown off course due to monetary issues over the last couple of months, but everything is back on track now and the aim is to have one by mid-may.
    wanted to see how one of our esteemed members got on with licensing in april for the qingqi 250 before i made my purchase. as i'm determined to go the legal way and make sure everything is right, i may end up getting the 200cc version if it proves too difficult.
    but i'm back with more determination than ever so in a few months..
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

10. #10 Re: Shaanxi n00b with photos (and questions!) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    got thrown off course due to monetary issues over the last couple of months, but everything is back on track now and the aim is to have one by mid-may.
    wanted to see how one of our esteemed members got on with licensing in april for the qingqi 250 before i made my purchase. as i'm determined to go the legal way and make sure everything is right, i may end up getting the 200cc version if it proves too difficult.
    but i'm back with more determination than ever so in a few months..
    Hate to break it to you, but there are no 200 or 250cc bikes that can be registered in China at this time, other than the Yamaha YBR250 (Maybe Regal Raptor?). My guess is that we won't see anything until next year, as the factories move slowly and the approval process is not quick either.

TIC..

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast