Ride report, yeah

We were riding home yesterday at 6:20 pm, going west, a ride I've done many times before. I pass a traffic light, and 500 meters away, I see a girl smack in the middle of my path. Had no time to do anything, she was only ~4m away when I saw her. She came over the metal dividing fence from the other side, and started walking in front of me. Smack.. she bounced off the front right side of the bike. Landed on her arm and hit the back of her head, not wearing a helmet while crossing the road .. She was conscious, her eyes were focused, and her voice was normal. Bystanders gawking but not lifting a finger to help, my girlfriend walked her to the hospital and I rode the to meet them. She's an intern in the hospital, probably training to be a nurse.

ER doctor ordered a CT scan and an X-ray. Her upper arm was broken in the middle, completely snapped, a clean break. CT scan showed nothing, her head was ok. They wanted to wait a couple of days before they operate on her arm!

Confused, I first thought of calling Euphonis, older than dinosaurs in China, he was able to put some sense in me. Police were not involved so far, but the family said we have to pay all medical expenses. At 9.30 we called the police. The came made their report, ruled that we must pay first, and the detailed report will be issued later. Insurance company said the same thing. So far we payed 8000rmb.

I was in the bus lane, and she was crossing over the fence, from my left. How can this possibly be my fault? I usually brake expecting someone to jump out from a bus station, even on the other side, but there wasn't a bus station in sight.

How does the police report affect what the insurance pays?
What should I look out for?
I'll write more later, we have to go meet the parents now...