Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
I guess the first reaction we have to these things is "who's fault is it". Unfortunately, in this country, that is not the issue, and the outcome of these events will have nothing to do with fault. It was not yours, but you will end up paying, and my fear is that, as the family starts to grasp the situation of a foreigner being involved, the extortion will start. Hopefully that will not be the case.
Very, very sorry to hear about your mishap.

What I have heard from several other foreigners who have had accidents is that "fault" is a western concept that isn't really regarded with any paramountcy in China. First, a foreigner is almost always considered to be "at fault". Second, a foreigner is almost always considered to be "wealthy" with almost unlimited abilities to pay. Third, I have heard several stories from a lawyer-friend who notes that the courts look at the principle of "the harmonious society", where if it determines that you can afford to pay, you will pay, regardless of what we see as the obvious facts, logic and fault.

Ideally, your insurance company will get involved and negotiate on your behalf.

And I agree with Euphonius that an unregistered, uninsured bike, or an unlicensed driver is, without question, a recipe for unbelievable disaster. There is a story in Beijing of a foreigner hitting a little dog and being forced to pay a HUGE settlement because, although he had a driving license, his bike was illegal. He had to pay an unrealistic sum for mental anguish to the family. And, of course, he lost his fancy sport bike.

Again, very very sorry man.