Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Had an accident

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Had an accident 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    fuck this sucks, hope you'll be allright soon

2. #12 Re: Had an accident 
    Good luck, hope everything goes well for you.

Hate they way many Chinese people see an accident as pay day, regardless if it was their fault.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

3. #13 Re: Had an accident 
    C-Moto Guru
    Holy shit...bloddy idots.

Police could take you on two issues I see, you were riding bike inside 2nd ring and you rode on the bus lane, not sure how they value this points.

I had an accident once with an illegal Hubei Plated CJ750 near Beijing, demand from the family was 50.000, we negotiated together with the police to 5.000RMB. Usually police is interested in negotiated settlements.
    I had one issue in KMG once with the car, same, they dont want to take responsibility for a decission, just push for negotiated settlement. Responsibility was shared at that time - they fixed my car, I fixed theirs.

However, I have contacts of lawyers in KMG, let me know if you need. Initial consultation should be free of charge, at least could give you an idea about procedures and possible options. Send me an message if you need. English communication possible.

4. #14 Re: Had an accident 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    If it is any consolation mate, you did the right thing. No question.
    Thanks.

Again Naim,
    Naim, that is my correct name, thanks.

doing the right thing is sometimes just a 'reward in heaven' but the real place heaven is, is in your heart and in your GF's - so take strength from that, you worked together well to best solve the situation.
    Not sure about that. Looking from down here, religion doesn't make much sense. But, I'm taking the Chinese approach, trying not to offend any of the gods, just in case

5. #15 Re: Had an accident 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sorry, I can't give you any answers on this!

I do however wonder, what if you don't have 8000 RMB at that moment?
    I don't want to go down that road. Very difficult to ask hypothetical questions in China. Nothing is fixed, every experience is different. All the Chinese around me are saying settle this as fast as possible. Money is not the issue, DON'T GET DRAGGED IN THE MUD. If you don't settle now, she will create all sorts of trouble later.

6. #16 Re: Had an accident 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks everyone... i have to sleep now... another round of grueling negotiations tomorrow.. I wil try to answer everyone when I get a chance.

7. #17 Re: Had an accident 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    All the Chinese around me are saying settle this as fast as possible. Money is not the issue, DON'T GET DRAGGED IN THE MUD. If you don't settle now, she will create all sorts of trouble later.
    I have frequently heard this recommendation (settle quickly). Hopefully the police will act as reasonable mediators, as appears to have happened with Andre555. I've also heard of other cases where the police have helped out with a "reasonable" negotiated settlement.

Sweet dreams & good luck.

8. #18 Re: Had an accident 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Thanks.Naim, that is my correct name, thanks.
    Not sure about that. Looking from down here, religion doesn't make much sense. But, I'm taking the Chinese approach, trying not to offend any of the gods, just in case
    its philosophy, i am decidedly not religious
    sorry about your name, got it right now!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #19 Re: Had an accident 
    Sorry to hear of the accident.

10. #20 Re: Had an accident 
    Slabo I have had several dealings with police and the government where I had to pay out money. #1 everything is negotiatable. #2 in the end, it's not about justice, or who was right or wrong, it's about the government/police acting as mediators. They want to expedite this situation and get it off their plates quickly. Therefore, you need to take a firm stance, whether you were right or wrong, just for negotiations sake. Expect to pay more than the 8k. However, your goal is to get that woman and her family to sign some kind of document (from the police) settling the matter and agreeing to terms. Usually, the faster, the better, before they have time to think and realize any longterm consequences.

In China, the driver of the larger vehicle, in the eyes of the law, is in the weaker position to negotiate. Also, keep in mind the police have the right to cancel you visa. Put the blame on her, but act as the good guy paying her bills. 8K is not a lot for a broken arm, regardless of whose fault it is, considering she didn't have any head injuries.

ALSO, make sure the girl is in front of you when you negotiate. Likely the parents will be very assertive about you hurting their "innocent" girl. The girl may be more passive because she knows she's to blame. If you face the parents alone, you may get reamed. So play on the girl if you sense her weakness. I've had parents of my staff come after me and they were unstoppable when they saw the opportunity to claim money.

Finally, lawyers are there for show and to help you negotiate. They may or may not be worth it depending on how much they cost. I once paid a lawyer 20k to settle a 25k labor dispute and still wound up paying 15k. So was it worth it? Probably not, in my case.

Best of luck. I hope all goes well. Cheer up. She didn't die and it could've been worse and be glad it wasn't you with the broken arm.

*Sigh* stupid, stupid pedestrians...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast