Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    MissRose,

You should also consider a micro-four thirds camera like the Olympus Pen series, or the Panasonic version of the same thing. The sensors are much larger than even the sensor on the Canon G11, and they have interchangable lenses, but the camera isn't that much bigger than a large prosumer compact.

I got my Olympus E-P2 on eBay so cheap it was a steal. Probably literally, although I have no idea. Its a great camera, although I only have one fixed-focal length lens for it because I spend most of my time with my DSLR.

Anyway, for people who think they might want the flexibility of interchangable lenses but not the bulk of a DLSR, I always recommend they take a look at a micro-four thirds.

Here is a review of the E-P3:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusep3/

If it is out of your price range, try an E-PL2 or E-PL1.
    --
    Biking Newbie | Boston: Ninja 250 | Beijing: Citify E-Scooter | No Chinese License. :(
    My Novice Experiences in China | My Photography

2. #32 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    LX5 is a wonderful camera but for the adventure riding thing, I may suggst the Panasonic TS3. It's waterproof, shock proof, has a built in GPS, altimeter and barometer and can take pictures underwater. Video is 1080AVCHD (like many of Panaosnics camcorders) amd even has a "3D" feature built into it. It's 28mm at widest so decently wide angle.

752212.jpg

Mo info...
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...ft3/index.html

Regarding the megapix, for a small sensor anything above 10MP is kinda silly. With nearly all PnS cams, you get to the point where the resolving power of the glass will be your greatest limitation so even if you had a 1,000MP sensor, soft glass will still mean soft images. Really, the electronics are cheap, it's the glass that costs a lot to refine, especially in the smaller sizes where even slight manufacturing defects have a relatively much more noticable impact on image quality. This is what makes glass on cameras just like tires on bikes.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #33 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Thank you guys! What amazing tips, tho now I'm more unable to chose!
    CantDecide, That Olympus looks well good, best sensor of the bounch till now and changeble lenses (!!!), but a bit pricy you have to admit... But if I can afford it ... This might very well be my first choice ;)
    CrazyCarl, your panasonic lumix is way cool, but I don't think I'll get everything out of it, seriously waterproof?! haha cool!
    For now my list looks like this:
    Olympus PEN E-P3 (=Wow! but can/will I afford it?)
    Fuji X10 (a good in between)
    Panasonic LX5 (very good and for a good price!)
    Anyway, you guys have been great help! Hope to go shopping end of the month so I can hold them and hopefully fall in love with my camera-to-be!
    I'll let you know!

4. #34 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    it's not the camera, it's the photographer :)

i'll admit that, other than skimming through your OP, I haven't read many of the suggestions in this thread. I will say that if you want interchangeable lenses, that you'll be hard-pressed to find something as compact as a P&S. I have heard good things about the NEX-3 though!

before i make any suggestions, i have some questions for you. did you own an SLR back when you were using film? did you keep any of your old lenses? there are mounts that enable you to use some old lenses with newer bodies, so that would save you a lot of money.

what type of photography are you into / looking to take? that'll determine what sort of lens you need. it might be that interchangeable lenses isn't necessary for you! Will also help to decide what functions would be 'mandatory' on a camera body for you.

I have the same stance as Euphonius on the Canon G series, they are tough cameras that can take some slugging and the output from them are as good as most entry-level DSLRs. I'd get one as my back up camera if ever there was a day that I could put down my 450d (or if I don't upgrade to a 7D) :)

I tend to lean towards Canon as they are up there as the leading brand in photography alongside Nikon, except I find Nikon UI to be quite counter-intuitive to use. There have been times I've missed a good photo-op when trying to shoot with a friends Nikon DSLR because I was trying to figure the damn thing out!
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

5. #35 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    more info on EVIL Cameras! :)

6. #36 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Thanks for the info Ekkicore! And I heard great things about the Nex3, but I can't get past how weird the thing looks (I know it's stupid)
    I do have some (one standard and one zoom) lenses left, I think, from my SLR but they're all the way back in Holland.... The Nikon I had, I hardly used because it was just way too complicated, somehow it just wasn't strait foreward enough for me...

What I used to love about photography was the darkroom (the smell alone would make me all happy and I had my own), I'd fiddle with (how is that called in English???) sharp-unsharp background foreground, under exposure, stuff like that. So I guess, if I can get back into it, I would be making more artistic pics. And some photo's along the way, the usual stuff. I like being able to experiment and get away from the standard programming of cams. This doesn't necessarly need changeable lenses.
    What I've been thinking now as well, is that I'm not sure if I'll like photography as much as I used to... So maybe it would be wiser to get a "simpler" cam, instead of going all the way and finding out I'm never bringing my extra lenses. And when I find out I do still love it, I could used the "simple" one as a back up or something... See how complicated I make it for myself?

7. #37 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by MissRose View Post
    ...What I've been thinking now as well, is that I'm not sure if I'll like photography as much as I used to... So maybe it would be wiser to get a "simpler" cam, instead of going all the way and finding out I'm never bringing my extra lenses. And when I find out I do still love it, I could used the "simple" one as a back up or something... See how complicated I make it for myself?
    Dear MissRose,

This is kind of what I was getting at in my long post, and it's echoed by what Ekki said about the importance of the photographer over the equipment. I always carry my G11. You'll remember a red bag slung around my waist. It's there on my hip on the bicycle. It's there on my hip on the motorcycle.

I don't consider myself an artist at all, but I like to document my rides, and I like to make pictures of the crazy shit we see in China. You self-identify as an artist, so you may be different. I self-identify neither as an artist nor a motorcyclist, but a journalist, and I like to get cool shit into my notebook and into my camera(s). I have gone for more than a year without even touching my big SLR. I am perfectly content with the quality I get from the G11, but, as Ekki notes, that's a very aggressive compromise, since the G series has some amazing glass (the lens is huge by P&S standards) and some amazing electronics. They are good enough for me, but not good enough for Ekki to lay down her SLR. no right or wrong, just different strokes for different folks.

You are right to be questioning your own motives for wanting to make pictures. Best way to figure it out is to actually put your hands on these devices and use them. You are indeed welcome to use mine.

And on a completely different note, anyone in Shanghai tonight has about 90 minutes to get over to Kaiba Tap Room to hear Doug Martin, a wonderful gypsy/jazz guitarist from San Francisco. I'm heading over there now, late....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #38 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Yeah, that's just exactly what I'm gonna do! Shop around and shop around some more. Now at least I have some idea's of what's out there!

Anduh...you're gypsy/jazz call is a bit late :(
    Prob be out tomorrow tho!

9. #39 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    It's hard for one camera to do it all, so I keep a point and shoot in my pocket and something larger in the tank bag. I'm also a big fan of having a back up camera just in case something happens. Another thing I've noticed with moto trips is that it's sometimes not such a good idea to carry a big camera. A nice little pocket cam is perfect for the evening hours and grabbing amusing shots of locals, food, riding partners etc. without an expensive, bulky, intimidating DSLR hanging around your neck.

Canon just announced the PowerShot S100 with a 12 megapixel 1/1.7" CMOS sensor and 24-120mm F2.0-5.9 lens. Those specs are very close to the current G12, but in a much smaller package. I would guess the G12 still has better glass, but the S100 has a better processor and sensor. It will definitely be my next point and shoot.

S100.jpg

I haven't had a large DSLR since I sold my Nikon D300 and bought the Panasonic GH1. The micro four thirds standard is really nice, but I will go back to having a big gun once Canon or Nikon get off their asses and come up with a decent full frame model.

Far more important than the cameras is taking the time to post your pics on a reliable image hosting service and sharing them here on MCM.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #40 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Far more important than the cameras is taking the time to post your pics on a reliable image hosting service and sharing them here on MCM.
    hear hear!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast