Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear MissRose,

Can't remember if you are an Apple fangirl. If so, there's always this:

Yes, it's an SLR mount that allows you to use your Canon or Nikon lenses on your iPhone4!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #42 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ...Canon just announced the PowerShot S100 with a 12 megapixel 1/1.7" CMOS sensor and 24-120mm F2.0-5.9 lens. Those specs are very close to the current G12, but in a much smaller package. I would guess the G12 still has better glass, but the S100 has a better processor and sensor. It will definitely be my next point and shoot....
    Thanks, ChinaV, for tossing out another strong contender! Here's the "preview" on DPReview.com.

Any idea what this rig is going to cost?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

3. #43 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear MissRose,

Can't remember if you are an Apple fangirl. If so, there's always this:

Yes, it's an SLR mount that allows you to use your Canon or Nikon lenses on your iPhone4!
    Whaha oh so very cool!!!

That Canon looks cool and I'll have a look at it as soon as my internet stops being GAY! I dunno what it is, but it seems nothing works except MCM and hotmail at the moment.... aaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. #44 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    HAHAHAHAH! What would the crop factor be on that setup?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #45 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Dear MissRose,

How are you doing with your camera hunt? Here's something to stir the pot further!

Sorry everything is in "inches".

cheers!

September 28, 2011
    Tiny Cameras, Big Tricks
    By DAVID POGUE
    Why doesn’t everyone buy an S.U.V.? So much space, so much power!

Why doesn’t everyone wear steel-toed work boots? So rugged, so protective!

And why doesn’t everyone buy S.L.R. cameras? Gorgeous photos, sensational low-light shots, interchangeable lenses, no shutter lag!

This is a rhetorical exercise, of course. You know very well why everybody does not buy those things: For most people, they’re excessive, huge and unwieldy.

But what if they weren’t? For example, what if you could carry an S.L.R. in your pocket?

That’s the engineering challenge that’s been keeping camera engineers awake at night for two years now. What makes an S.L.R.’s photos so great is a huge sensor inside, which generally requires a huge lens and a huge body. So designing a compact S.L.R. involves wrestling with some infuriating laws of physics. But if someone could succeed, there’s a fortune to be made.

Panasonic and Olympus took the first step with a format called Micro Four Thirds. These cameras shrink everything proportionally — camera body, lenses and, alas, sensor. Sony’s NEX camera bodies are even smaller — easily pants-pocketable — yet contain a real S.L.R.-size sensor, for incredible pictures. The drawback is that the lenses aren’t much smaller than regular S.L.R. lenses.

This month, two more big-name camera makers join the fray, Nikon and Pentax. Their new cameras are insanely, ridiculously, jaw-droppingly small.

The Pentax Q, for example, is the smallest interchangeable-lens camera in the world. It looks like a prop from “Honey, I Shrunk the Camera.” The body is only 3.9 by 2.3 by 1.2 inches. When you see it next to a real S.L.R., it looks like something Barbie and Ken might use.

Yet incredibly, this camera is completely usable — and it’s loaded. Time-lapse movies. Scene modes. Full manual controls. Multiple exposure. Hi-def video. In-camera editing and cropping. RAW format. HDMI output to a hi-def television. A hotshoe for accessories.

There’s even a remarkable flash. It seems at first as if it’s built into the camera. Yet when you push a switch, the flash shoots up on an scissorlike extension arm — way, way up, nearly a full camera height up. When it’s that high, your lens won’t cast a shadow, and there’s no possibility of red eye. (Red eye is that reflective red-pupil effect. It occurs when the flash and the lens are roughly in line with each other.)

The Q’s screen is a three-incher, which leaves only a narrow strip of camera back to contain the nine buttons there. But at least you have real physical controls, including a control knob on the top back, a mode dial on the top front and a Quick dial next to the lens. It’s a customizable, five-position knob that you can program to change photo proportions, apply a special effect, bolster the color and so on.

The camera comes with a nonzooming, very flat lens that provides a luscious blurry-background effect. With this “pancake” lens installed, the camera is no bigger than a $200 compact.

But you can also buy a 3X zoom lens or a couple of plastic “toy” lenses — one wide, one telephoto — that are supposedly intended more for fun than photo quality.

In other words, when it comes to design, features and usability, Pentax has knocked one out of the park. There are, however, four drawbacks.

First, the price: $800 for the camera and flat lens, $300 more for the zoom lens. That’s outlandishly expensive. For that, you could buy an extremely nice S.L.R. and a couple of lenses.

Second, the wisp of a battery allows only 250 shots on a charge. A real S.L.R. goes three or four times as long.

Third, there’s no dedicated movie button, and you can’t change focus once you’re filming.

The real heartbreaker, though, is the sensor inside; it’s doll-size, too. At 0.43 inch diagonal, it’s about the same size you get in a cheapo pocket camera.

The photos are remarkably good for such a tiny sensor. They’re far better than a compact camera could produce, but nowhere close to what a Micro Four Thirds or Sony NEX can take.

The Nikon 1 is bigger than the Pentax Q — what isn’t? — but strikes a better balance in the complex price/size/features/sensor size equation.

It’s available in two models: the J1, intended for the general user (available in white, black, silver, red or pink for $650 with a 3X zoom lens); and the V1, intended for advanced hobbyists (black, $900 with 3X lens). The V1 adds an electronic eyepiece viewfinder and a few more perks.

The headline here is speed. These cameras are tricked out with enough computing power to launch a rocket. They can perform stunts like taking 10 shots a second, refocusing all the way, or 60 shots a second without refocusing.

They focus faster than any camera Nikon has ever made. They easily create slow-motion video, containing as many as 1,200 frames a second, although at a tiny frame size.

Get this: You can even snap a full-resolution still photo while you’re recording video, without leaving a blink or a gap in the movie. Nikon believes, as do I, that that’s a first in the history of consumer cameras, and it’s unbelievably useful.

The sensor inside is a new design. At 0.62 inch, it’s much bigger than a pocket camera’s, but not as big as the sensor in a Micro Four Thirds camera (0.89 inch), let alone a real S.L.R. (1.2 inches or larger).

The photos are generally very good, but you can easily tell they didn’t come from an S.L.R. For example, the Nikon 1 too easily “blows out” the brightest parts of the scene, and muddies up the darkest parts.

That would still present an irresistible tradeoff if it weren’t for a couple of truly idiotic design elements. First, the mode dial has only four positions — Auto, Movie, Best Shot and Motion Snapshot — and two of them are wasted.

The Best Shot mode takes 20 photos in one second, then throws away all but what it considers the best five, based on focus, blur and so on. The Motion Snapshot mode captures a one-second slow-motion movie and adds cheesy music to it.

But dedicating two of the mode dial’s precious four positions to these rarely used gimmicks is a criminal splurge. Meanwhile, if you want to adjust the shutter speed or aperture, you have to dive deeply into the labyrinth of on-screen menus. Bring bread crumbs.

And another thing. There’s a dedicated movie start/stop button, but it doesn’t work except in Movie mode! What’s the point of a Movie button if you have to change modes to use it?

Three lenses are already available for the Nikon 1 — an f/2.8 nonzooming pancake lens, the 3X zoom (the film equivalent of a 27-71 mm lens) and a telephoto lens (81-297 mm equivalent). There’s also an enormous 10X zoom intended for video.

The Nikon 1’s 1080p videos are spectacular in general (it smoothly refocuses and re-exposes while filming); but when you add the 10X lens and its smooth “power zoom” button, your Nikon 1 becomes an actual camcorder.

Nikon will also offer an adapter that lets you use any existing F-mount Nikon lens with your camera. It might look a little silly on such a tiny body, but it’ll work.

Both the Pentax Q and the Nikon 1 are important experiments. Both demonstrate that the camera industry has, at last, given up the meaningless race to cram more megapixels onto a sensor — and moved into more important pursuits, like better photos and smaller cameras.

Unfortunately, both cameras are also flawed in their own special ways. Yes, the world’s camera engineers have finally brought us the pocket S.L.R. But perfection continues to elude them.

E-mail: pogue@nytimes.com
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #46 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    AAAAHHHH Pentax.... hmmm. Shame it hs some down sides... and that it's so expansive... And in both the sensors are rather small
    I haven't been shopping yet, waiting for the new month, I'll probably have a difficult time chosing.... I'll let you know as soon as I made up my mind and have it! Promise!

7. #47 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Offer is still good to try out my G11 for a day if you like. But not till November....

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #48 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It's great to see that there are some photographers here.
    I got a 7D that I have been working with since they came out.
    It has done 2 Baja 1000 and 2 Baja 500 races and never failed me.

Fiberwerx.jpg

It's a great camera, but too big and heavy for a whole day of exploring or riding a bike for that matter.
    Last month while in Hong Kong, I picked up a Fujifilm X-100. I have to say, I am very impressed so far.
    It has a full AP censor and a fixed 35mm lens that are made for each other which = awesome photos.
    This camera is great for landscape and adventure type shots.

Screen shot 2012-09-03 at 9.47.47 PM.jpg

9. #49 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    That's one gorgeous retro rangefinder camera, and the reviews I've seen are extremely positive. Hope you become a regular poster in MCM, and will illustrate your posts with the fruits of that little gem!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #50 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    That's one gorgeous retro rangefinder camera, and the reviews I've seen are extremely positive. Hope you become a regular poster in MCM, and will illustrate your posts with the fruits of that little gem!

cheers
    Yes, it is a nice little camera. Before I purchased it, I did a lot of research. This camera has some really good reviews.
    I am a professional photographer, mostly off-road racing, but I've done my share of weddings etc....

Lately, since I moved to China I've been doing a lot of street style photography. There are just so many things to shoot here.
    I am currently working on a book about Wuhan. Hopefully I will complete it next year sometime.
    I will be sure to post regularly here and share my photos with you guys.

Thanks

Greg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345