Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECsauce View Post
    Nothing like some off-camera flash to bring the photographers out of the woodwork.
    Lifted from the photos description on my flickr page:
    =======
    Strobist Setup:
    One Nikon SB-600 camera left (low). 1/1 power. Bare.
    One Yongnuo Speedlite YN460 camera right (high). 1/1 power. Bare.
    eBay triggers and slaves.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    1/200 sec at f/11, ISO 100

Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS USm at 24mm.
    ======
    Oh, and I just sent you a flickr contact request. :)
    I've been quiet on this forum for months until your thread :) added you back! canon body with a nikon off-camera, huh? so you're *THAT* type of photog! ;P
    hows that piece of L glass treating you? you happy with it? looking into investing in some lenses myself (after i buy my bikey :p)
    Last edited by jape; 03-18-2011 at 05:00 AM.
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

2. #2 motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    I've been quiet on this forum for months until your thread :) added you back! canon body with a nikon off-camera, huh? so you're *THAT* type of photog! ;P
    hows that piece of L glass treating you? you happy with it? looking into investing in some lenses myself (after i buy my bikey :p)
    I'm going to the photography market in Beijing this weekend... never been there before.... I'm hoping to find a flash for my 7D and hopefully a somewhat compact case for it... all my photog bags are huge.

Maybe we should start a photog thread. :)
    Last edited by jape; 03-18-2011 at 05:01 AM.

3. #3 motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Motography!

Josh, you are in for a treat at the Beijing photo market, which is (or used to be) out on the west side at Wukesong near Gongzhufen. Last I was there, a few years ago, it was a vast, sprawling, multifloored warren of tiny retail outlets. Very up to date, though it may be jarring to see the latest models in such a scruffy less-than-professional setting. Prices should be relatively competitive, but don't expect super deals on quality brands. You might end up paying a small premium. Prepare to haggle, but don't expect to get too far. Lots of stuff is gray market, so service is with the vendor, not the manufacturer. Caveat emptor.

But for all the paraphernalia -- bags, filters, cases, and a million other accessories -- it's an amazing place, especially if you don't insist on imported stuff. A lot of bags are now made in China, so you will find prices of half or less of MSRP, just as with helmets and a lot of other motorcycling stuff that's manufactured here. Stuff that fell off the truck, so to speak.

The market is also a treat for collectors. You'll see tons of amazing and beautiful vintage stuff dating back to early in the 20th century. And tons of Chinese collectibles. And probably Russian stuff too, like the Zenit Horizon panorama camera, though bear in mind these require something called "film". Some of the shops are like a museum.

Some Chinese are absolute fanatics about photography, and especially gear.

Don't take much cash with you, as you'll probably come back with empty pockets regardless of how much cash you take.

cheers
    Last edited by jape; 03-18-2011 at 04:59 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Motography!
    I think we've officially thread-jacked.... sorry Vtecsauce! Can an admin move us to our own thread? DONE jape :-)

Don't take much cash with you, as you'll probably come back with empty pockets regardless of how much cash you take.
    Wait, how am I supposed to spend too much money on equipment my skills aren't really ready to use unless I bring cash? I don't have a local credit card, and most places don't take cards that don't have a 密码.

What I'm really waffling on is if I should bring my 7D to test things I might buy for fit... I'm inclined to bring my 350D body to test lenses with, and leave the 7D and any lenses home... I'll just bring a note with filter sizes incase I want any of those, but then I won't be able to test camera bag fit.
    Last edited by jape; 03-18-2011 at 05:01 AM.

5. #5 motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    Wait, how am I supposed to spend too much money on equipment my skills aren't really ready to use unless I bring cash? I don't have a local credit card, and most places don't take cards that don't have a 密码.
    Oh, taking a Chinese debit card with actual cash in it would be an even worse idea!

Strategy is to go have a look, visit with the stuff. Then come home and take a cold shower and make your decisions with your wife present in the room. For the sake of the marriage....
    Last edited by jape; 03-18-2011 at 05:02 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #6 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    I've gotten pretty good at "I don't need that right now", at least for photography... I've got enough kit already and I'm self aware enough to know my skill isn't so great that I'll be able to take advantage of new stuff. Plus I just got a bunch of stuff I haven't assimilated yet...

Ekkicore, what camera do you have?

I have a 7D, Canon 18-135 (wish it was longer, faster, and smaller) , Sigma 10-20 (wish it was faster), and a Lensbaby Composer (cool, can't really use it well yet), and of course a bunch of accessories, my favorite of which is a Black Rapid strap. Overall, I wish I was better.

At the market I'm hoping to find a compact flash camera 'cause try as I might, the 7D won't fit in my cargo pants, and a small bag for the 7D.

I'll put a link to my photo portfolio in my sig.

7. #7 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    At the market I'm hoping to find a compact flash camera 'cause try as I might, the 7D won't fit in my cargo pants, and a small bag for the 7D.
    There's been some chat in other threads about small effective cameras. Motokai uses a little Nikon, and does wonders with it. I'm loving the G11, which is the size of an old Rollei or Leica -- definitely not the size of a deck of cards like so many point/shoots today -- but still fits in some of my pockets. Awesome lens. Now superseded by the G12.

was only (half) kidding about the expensive temptations.

I got a very nice Tenba messenger bag last year for several hundred RMB.....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    I borrowed a friends G11 to go diving this year... it did a pretty good job, and a diving shell for a G11 costs a fraction of what one for a 7D costs! I might go even cheaper, like sub-$100 for a point and shoot... Something better than my cell phone, but I don't want to get something so good I decide to leave my 7D behind!

I have one of these bags, and I really like it, though I had to mod it to hold my laptop: http://amzn.to/iagbPg. It weight is probably a bit high and the capacity might be a bit low for its size, but it has a ton of compartments and I load it with so much crap its unbelievable. And completely weighted down, it is amazingly comfortable to wear. I know it probably looks a bit poser-ish, but it really is a good bag.

What I'd like is something with quick access to just protect the camera when I don't want to carry anything else.
    --
    Biking Newbie | Boston: Ninja 250 | Beijing: Citify E-Scooter | No Chinese License. :(
    My Novice Experiences in China | My Photography

9. #9 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    Ekkicore, what camera do you have?
    I'm not sure she will get an auto reminder of new posts yet, because the thread position is changed. PM her with this thread address.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: motography, cameras, gear and chatter 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    no I got it, thanks Jape! :)

right now I have about 10 or 11 vintage and toy film cameras, both medium format and 35mm (TLR, ones with bellows, box cameras.. etc)..

for digital, I have a canon P&S (which recently died on my last trip to Shanghai, damn that city!!) and a canon 450d with 50mm 1.4 and sigma 17-70mm 2.8.
    looking to buy some L glass now, as i believe lens quality is more important than the body. plus, i absolutely love the size and feel of my rebel.. the shape and weight fit me perfectly!
    soon though, after i get my bike (which looks like it might be the end of april now, yay!!) and save up enough money, I'll upgrade to full frame and have my trusty rebel as my back-up camera.
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast