Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with my new bike.

I want to make a long trip in southern china through mountain roads
    Does anyone know the weaknesses of my bike, and advice which spare parts i should bring with me?

It's a Loncin 125 lx and already drove 1200 km/s with it.
    At 500 km's they changed the oil (10w40) which still looked clear.
    The shop where i bought it said i had to change oil every 1500 km/s.

I can only do simple things like changing oil/brake pads/light etc so for changing a crankshaft or anything like that i would have to find a mechanic.

2. #2 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    Bikes have common weaknesses. If you want your trip does not end too easily you should take spare clutch cable, throttle cable, and spare clutch handle, a tire repair kit, screwdriver, and that thing what you use to tighten or lose bolts. Oh yeah and iron wire too. I needed that in my last trip! Was priceless. Iron wire is for a motorcyclist like rope is to Samwise Gamgee!

3. #3 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmonkey View Post
    ...Loncin 125 lx and already drove 1200 km/s with it..
    Almost ALL Loncin in China starts with lx. Which model ? OHV/ OHC ? http://motor.loncinindustries.com/
    Last edited by humanbeing; 03-18-2011 at 03:06 PM.

4. #4 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i thought i just posted, but ok here it goes again.

Thanks for the recommendations, i'll take all! What did you use the iron wire for and how many meters do you take with you?

My bike is a Loncin 125LX-30, i haven't found it on the website but it looks identical to this one: http://motor.loncinindustries.com/Pr...1/Detailed242/

5. #5 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    If you are going to high altitude, you will run lean. That will get the engine quite a bit hotter and a 125cc will be struggling anyway up hills with a full load unless you just cruise. So just make sure you don't overheat and cook it. I assume you are sticking to tarmac with those wheels? Spare bulbs are essential too.

I don't remember you posting anywhere about this trip? Tell us more, sounds good. There's a great post somewhere about China V's travelling toolkit and bits and pieces. PM him if you can't find it, for a link. I will look for it myself later.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
    I won't bother too much about prepareing a toolkit, you will never be ready if you keep thinking about preparing. If you want to try that, have a look here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
    Just pack enough underwear and start off. You will know what you've forgot when you need it, and then you will promptly forget it when you have a chance to get it.

The good news is your bike is very common here. And from my experience, it's difficult to find unpopulated areas here. Where there are people, there are bike mechanics.. everywhere.

7. #7 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    High altitude is how high? I've driven in the mountains of western and southern Hunan, which are not very high but lots of times very steep.

My wife, me, some luggage and a full gasoline tank. I think the total weight on our little bike was about 170 kg incl everything.
    I bought the bike new and before it's first 500km oil change it was very slow uphill making lots of noise. I usually could only use first gear to get uphill.

After the oil change the bike slowly gained more power and in steep climbs it's now possible to use 2nd or sometimes 3rd gear. The noise was also a lot less.

I've driven 1200 km so far, probably a few hundred km's offroad, the other km's where mostly on broken little roads in the countryside.
    When i bought the bike i was considering between this one and a Yamaha YBR but i thought this one would be easier to repair because everyone drives them here.
    The bike has no thermometer to see how hot it is, any solution?

It's still a long way to go but this summer we want to make a long trip, 3 months.
    I'm not yet sure where to go so at the moment i'm looking at this website and google earth.

Guizhou, Yunnan, Sichuan, and then choose to go north (inner mongolia etc) or west to xinjiang.
    So we'll propably be also in not populated places where the bike can't easily be fixed.

8. #8 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    An active from Magazine That rider had a FREE bike after the trip
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...authorid=86471

9. #9 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i read lots of it, with google translate. Looks good.
    After studying lonely planet i decided it'll be to the north and northeast, so at least not the high altitude mountains

10. #10 Re: long trip maintenance loncin 125cc 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    If you are going to high altitude, you will run lean. That will get the engine quite a bit hotter and a 125cc will be struggling anyway up hills with a full load unless you just cruise.
    Of course in reality bikes run rich at altitude due to the lower air density - less "effective" air same amount of fuel = rich mixture , which should can still mean power loss but not so dangerous for the engine - just a bit blubbery and maybe smoke .

Good luck on your travels .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast