Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    C-Moto Regular
    As I dont have a tacho on my bike and it seems to run low gearing I did a check this morning .

I removed the spark plug and wound the engine over to check how many revs for one rear wheel rotation , then checked tyre circumference by rolling it along the yard - end result is that at max power 8,500RPM I should be doing 72mph according to my maths .

Does that sound about right and what revs do you let your 230 engines go to ? - guess if 8500 is max power 9000rpm should be "safe" ....

Still running in so not been over 50mph but even that felt like a lot of revs but maybe it is in comparison with my 604 Rotax powered CCM ?

2. #2 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    My Ebay tacho shows I am running at 32 thou rpm so I cannot help! But I think that should be 8000 and that is enough, these are NOT racing machines with balanced this that and titanium this that and the other. They are cheaply made and assembled china-bikes.

I just wind up slowly til the 'over rev' kicks in and it splutters then I back off ten kph and cruise which gives me GPS 55 mph on a 200cc so you are doing OK

Why over rev? Don't you want it to last more than 6 months?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    C-Moto Regular
    I wont bother with a tacho off of Ebay then !

I have geared mine up one tooth on the front sprocket and was surprised how revvy it still felt - CCM claim a top speed of 72mph - not for long I suspect as you say Jape ........!

Trouble is in the UK every "young mum " in a family car has 100HP+ and needs to be somewhere else in a hurry - does not make for pleasant riding with a car 5ft from your rear and the driver applying make up !!

I use the small roads where I can but that is not always possible in the crowded UK .

I dont think I will be revving even to max power ,8500, as it feels "enough" at 50 mph , was interested to check that it was a "standard" ratio - still 125 gearbox ratios I suspect .

4. #4 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    Quote Originally Posted by bojer View Post
    Trouble is in the UK every "young mum " in a family car has 100HP+ and needs to be somewhere else in a hurry - does not make for pleasant riding with a car 5ft from your rear and the driver applying make up !!
    yeah, we all get that 'inadequate' feeling on our little bikes, and then we start looking at sports bikes and big thumpers and then we realise we would just be getting a whole new set of problems and dangers ... we all are waiting for a decent chinese 400cc. Shouldn't be long, this year will make or break the Chinese motorbike industry. or else we will all be out stealing yahama 450cc, spraying them matt black and putting chinese plastics and vin plates on them - what am i saying! ignore that.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

5. #5 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    What is the source of the 398cc water cooled engine on the CCM SR-400?

It shares specs with the Suzuki DR400’ s engine…

6. #6 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 

I think it's cool when they combine manufacturing sources…this bike looks to me to be sourced all or in part through Loncin.

not exactly the same....but very similar

7. #7 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    It is entirely possible that an engine purchased from Suzuki could be manufactured in China. You can be sure of one thing that the 400cc engine in the SR400 is not in violation of any existing intellectual property rights. CCM has the rights to sell the bikes but no rights to say…”it has a Suzuki engine” which may also include not having the rights to say “ that the engine is also made under license in a Chinese factory. The factory may also agree not to sell the engines they manufacturer under license to anyone but the owner of the rights…Suzuki.

8. #8 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    Hey bojer..
    I got the same problem with my galaxy xtr250 (same bike as Yours) i think??
    If you look for chinaV's galaxy xtr thread he swapped out the standard gearing with a smaller chain 428, bigger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket to get better road gearing on my bike, which helps a lot.. But without a balance shaft in the engine and the firm chassis it does vibrate quite a bit.. it still feels like it could pull a lot taller gearing too!!
    I have a set of motox wheels with the 520 chain and gearing and i swap the 17 inch supermotard wheels and change to a 428 chain for road riding, i'll check the spocket size's next time i look.. unless chinaV or felix can remember.

rich

9. #9 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
    Hey bojer..
    I got the same problem with my galaxy xtr250 (same bike as Yours) i think??
    If you look for chinaV's galaxy xtr thread he swapped out the standard gearing with a smaller chain 428, bigger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket to get better road gearing on my bike, which helps a lot.. But without a balance shaft in the engine and the firm chassis it does vibrate quite a bit.. it still feels like it could pull a lot taller gearing too!!
    I have a set of motox wheels with the 520 chain and gearing and i swap the 17 inch supermotard wheels and change to a 428 chain for road riding, i'll check the spocket size's next time i look.. unless chinaV or felix can remember.

rich
    Ok thanks for that - need to be a bit more patient and see what the bike is like once run in - mine seems to have a restrictor/slincer pushed into the airbox intake that reduces the size by 2/3 - that will come out and will try some jetting changes - got a 104 (!) main jet in at the minute and its very weak , will try a 120 as a big change !

The 400 CCMs do use the Austrailian spec Suzuki DRZ motors and the 650s the Suzuki DR650S engine - my 604 has the Rotax motor - dont make too much in the UK anymore .............

10. #10 Re: Loncin / CCM 230 Dual Sport Gearing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    and then we realise we would just be getting a whole new set of problems and dangers ... .
    Yep , if I was not running in my little bike last night and was on my Ducati or 604 CCM I would have def hit the "young Mum" who pulled out in front of me apparently "not seeing me" despite looking right at me - 45mph has its advantages - 90mpg at the moment only being one of them !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast