Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Disaster Planning for your MC ride in China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I want to thank Carl et al for operating this forum for us. I have benefited in so many ways from the knowledge of others, including which bike(s) to get, what mods to consider, where to ride, etc (how to remove the damn seat from an XTR - again, thanks ChinaV!) ... and also meeting some really cool people. In a perfect world, we'd all ride off into the sunset with a big smile on our face.

In our real world, shit happens. (accidents, hospitalizations, thefts, fines, detentions, etc). Because we are in China - this sh1t can be really stinky.

When riding with my regular group around Beijing, I am usually the follow-up rider for two reasons: I am a granny rider, and this granny carries a First Aid (FA) kit fer the yungins. Aside from the regular FA stuff, I also pack snake-bite anti-venom (yup, poisonous snakes live here), a splint kit (handles fingers & joints), burn salve & bandages (hot pipes), eye wash cup & drops (grit & bugs will ALWAYS appear during that moment you raise your face shield), and a few sterile needles (just in case some country hospital doesn't have them). The whole kit is the size of a carton of smokes (which, by the way, are also carried ... amazing how a fallen rider starts smoking again).

In another post, Milton brought forward a great idea about taping a little note on the outside of a helmet, in Chinese, stating who I am, and who should be contacted in case of an emergency. That is a wonderful idea - as I am often riding alone inside this massive city. What happens if I am knocked out? Do I just lay there for days? We know it is common for passers-by to just gawk, stare and then continue on their way ... especially if a foreigner is involved - "don't touch them!" "Oh look, there is a note on their head"

Sooooo - any tips & techniques when disaster strikes while riding in China?

For example, what do you do with an accident? Who ya going to call? Ghostbusters?

What about a bike theft? I've just installed a GPS tracker & will give a review in another post (first, I need a volunteer thief - someone who is willing to get the crap beat out of them - in the interest of science, of course).

What about the fines, points, court, etc?

Hopefully, we can help others learn from our own misfortunes.

Slabo's recent accident brought this idea back to the forefront. His sweety was there, but what if she wasn't?
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 03-20-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added link

2. #2 Re: Disaster Planning for your MC ride in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I need a volunteer thief - someone who is willing to get the crap beat out of them - in the interest of science, of course
    You really shouldn't look for new boyfriends here but I suppose it is in a good cause ....
    This is a great idea for a thread and as a subset, I would like to see that first aid kit in a fag packet, mine is meant to be compact and is ten times that size. First aid kit.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: Disaster Planning for your MC ride in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Sheesh, Richard, started reading your thread and thought you were writing your last will and testament ("I'd like thank my mom and dad, crazykarl and all you other swells....").

Great thread.

First thing that comes to my mind is that a lot of us tend to ride solo. Here in Shanghai, Motokai, Milton and I have all done long solo rides through backcountry, and two of us (we know who we are) have had pretty serious getoffs. In my case I had the great fortune of being with none other than young Slabo and his sweetie, and I effed up while we were riding across Kunming (in the rain, at night) to try their favorite fungus restaurant. OK, there are a couple of levels to this. Had I not befriended Slabo through MCM, I'd likely not have been making that night ride that night, but had Slabo not been there during that getoff it would have been a lot more traumatic for me. Within minutes his friend Mike the Paraglider was swooping in to help get my bike to safety, while a doctor friend of mine helped me get directly to medical help. I shudder at the thought of having that getoff while truly alone up on the dark side of some Himalayan foothill between Lijiang and Zhongdian, which were to have been my next destinations.

Of course CrazyKarl's misadventure was so awesome he made a movie about it, but it seems to have scared him off China for a few years...

ChinaV is an inveterate soloist, but he was damned lucky to have had Felix and Daniel present when his Galaxy skipped out from under him and off the face of the earth down in Guangxi. Had V been unaccompanied and slipped the bonds of tarmac with the Galaxy and been injured or knocked cold, well, the mind reels...

Ditto for ChinaV's puke-stained getoff in Fujian. What if it'd been after dark, and no one had seen him and his foot had remained pinned under the Weee? Would he have had to chew off that appendage to get free?

So I guess there's a message in here somewhere about the special risks of soloing, and how to minimize them. I'm as guilty as anyone, but I love riding alone. MCM certainly has a role to play. When riding anywhere in China, share your itinerary with members in areas you'll be traversing. Even if you don't need someone to scrape you out of a canyon, it's at least good for a beer or seven and maybe lifelong memories of comradeship.

I also think we as a list could do a better job of organizing group rides, whether daytrips or long ones. I always feel envy when Richard reminds us of his regular riding group in Beijing, and I stand in awe of the personal responsibility Richard takes while riding as sweeper. O! that we could have group rides like that here in Shanghai ("hey, let's go burn donuts in the World Financial Center ring at Lujiazui!"). Well, we have. MotoKai and I had a blast slabbing out to Moganshan last fall, and Felix and Wrangler did a nice overnighter to Suzhou. Milton rides with some non-MCM buddies from time to time. We could do better to make these rides known to others so the percentage of riding that we all do alone is minimized.

The MCM network is available even when members are not nearby. I was cycling through Shanghai when Slabo rang me a short while after his hard encounter with a brittle humerus attached to a moron in Kunming, and we were able to calmly talk things through so he felt a bit less alone. Had there been a need to talk to someone in Chinese, or to translate, I was fully prepared to do that. And I'll make that offer here and now to anyone else: If you find yourself in a pickle and don't have your nubile translator nearby and need to clear your head about your options etc, I'm ready to take that call -- with the caveat that I am not a doctor or lawyer.

In other words, those of us who are resident in China can and should use MCM as an important resource not just for gearhead stuff and route selection but for group organizing and safety and contingency planning and, in that fateful hour, emergency advice and handholding.

So where's that kumbaya smiley?
    Here it is
    Last edited by euphonius; 03-21-2011 at 02:15 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)