Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Some spring rides 
    We don't really do 4 seasons down here in Guangdong, what little winter we have seems to instantly turn to summer. So I decided a new thread was in order for the next couple months of weekend excursions. Some of you have been following the old winter thread, this will be more of the same.

Besides the fact that I'm vain and crave your attention, I post this stuff to keep you folks entertained. It's quite obvious, with all the off topic b/s popping up all over the forum, most of you are suffering severe MWS (motorcycle withdrawal syndrome) and winter has kept you cooped up too long. Spring is here, let's get back to being a happy, (dysfunctional) family, and riding.

And by the way... you... yes you... get off your ass and post something. I'm sick of hearing about some experience you had, yet you never seem to post any pics or commentary. Stop asking questions about how to get somewhere and then never posting about what happened when you went. Let's just say that I know a whole heap of you have done something interesting on a motorcycle this year, yet you kept it to yourself instead of sharing. Some of you are 10 ride reports behind, and you're at the doorstep of a whole new riding season. Many have spent the winter fixing up your bikes, so where are the tutorials and tales from the garage?

If you ride and don't want to make big deal out of it, take a couple pics, write a few lines and throw it in this thread. I would enjoy seeing more of China and more Chinese moto's in other parts of the world.

On with the show...and the first installment.

What goes down won't necessarily go up

It was about 17º inside my concrete cube as I sat drinking coffee and blabbing to Felix on Skype. Cold shitty and rainy in Shanghai, drizzly and grey down in Dongguan. My neighbor, andy74rc, called and asked if we were going to do our usual "On Any Sunday" routine, so I went out to the garage to assess the riding conditions and discuss tactics. Much to my surprise, it was 27º outside, summer had come overnight, complete with humidity and mosquitos. We figured things would dry out after lunch, so we decided on a 2:00 departure. Off we go!

A few weeks prior, we came across a steep downhill trail and decided to come back when we had more energy and time. That would be today.

It started out OK. Plenty of ruts and damp leaves to keep you on your toes. A few spots where you had to get off your bike and walk it down. We continued on, hoping the trail actually went somewhere, as backtracking up some of the hills was going to be rough.

Came to a split in the path and followed a riverbed for a few meters, dead end, so we paused for a break.

Arriving at this clearing, we realized two things. We were very tired, and our chances of getting to the end of this trail were slim. It was 4:30, so we had about 2 hours to get out of the jungle before nightfall. I walked the trail about half a kilometer and returned with some grim news. The trail had several huge drop offs, we could probably get the bikes down, but it would be impossible to get back up. If the trail didn't have an outlet, we would be screwed, with no hope of getting the bikes out, and a 4 kilometer, uphill hike to get out. We decided it was better to turn around and head back.

Which started out OK, but eventually we hit the steep stuff and it became impossible to keep going. I reached the middle of a huge climb and was stuck. We tried pushing, pulling, fighting, swearing etc., but we were making very little progress. On one attempt, I got a little too aggressive, and the bike simply wheelie'd and endo'ed back on top of me…ouch. An hour passed, we had managed another 7 meters of progress. We still had 5 more major climbs to go. At 6:30, we finally called it quits. We were about 1.5 kilometers away from the trail head and darkness was coming fast. Completely exhausted, we decided to abandon the bikes and return the following morning.

We hiked out of the jungle and walked another couple kilometers of road, trying to get phone coverage to call the wives. Finally our saviors arrived in the car and we went back home for a cold beer and some much needed rest. The following morning we were up early and bought a rope and a pulley so we could go back to fetch the bikes.

Rescue mission…

The girls came along to see what kind of trouble we had gotten in. It was a long hike back to the bikes with a whole bunch of "you guys are stupid" remarks.

Setting up the pulley and rope for the first hill.

I think this shot gives you a good idea of what we were fighting. Plenty of leaves and moss covering the trail kept us spinning.

Heave… Hoe…

More climbing and trail analysis.

More fun.

Mrs. ChinaV … Don't do that again!

Finally making it out past one last obstacle.

Be careful out there,

We finally made it home after 2 hours of rescue efforts. Oh well, if you don't push it, you will never know your limits.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 02:12 AM.

2. #2 Re: Some spring rides 
    ChinaV,
    Great story and photos but the one of your wife says it all.

Note to self: Stay off steep single track.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Some spring rides 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quick post as I go for lunch. Thanks for putting this up, makes me want to get a dirt bike badly.

"It was a long hike back to the bikes with a whole bunch of "you guys are stupid" remarks." Ba ha ha. Live for that.

4. #4 Re: Some spring rides 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great post, as ever, ChinaV. Guilty as charged.

Say, what was that thing hanging in the tree in the final frame? A snake trap?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Some spring rides 
    C-Moto Regular
    Awesome. Great photos as usual. Looks to be some great riding in your neck of the woods. Glad the bikes made it out safe and they weren't stripped bare in the middle of the night by some wandering forest-people.

6. #6 Re: Some spring rides 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ChinaV, a further comment: Your garage never ceases to amaze! You actually own a winch????
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Some spring rides 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    ChinaV, a further comment: Your garage never ceases to amaze! You actually own a winch????
    We do now

I don't know what that trap hanging the tree was for, I've never seen a wild animal anywhere in China.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Some spring rides 
    Thanks of the great report. I see you were doing some HC enduro. Angle camera would again be great so everyone would get a better clue of what kind of slopes there were.

9. #9 Re: Some spring rides 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    We do now

I don't know what that trap hanging the tree was for, I've never seen a wild animal anywhere in China.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    me neither.
    V, at remote places like that, don't you fear long and hostile venom snake? The weather is getting warmer.

10. #10 Re: Some spring rides 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    me neither.
    V, at remote places like that, don't you fear long and hostile venom snake? The weather is getting warmer.
    That's the main reason why you should wear good quality enduro boots, snakes will loose some teeth if they try to bite on that.
    By the way, it's really difficult to find remote places in south China.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast