Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Some spring rides 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Spring is here, let's get back to being a happy, (dysfunctional) family, and riding.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    barney bike.jpg

Let's sing in unison ...

I love you ... You love me ... We're a happy family ...

Heh heh ... you're right ChinaV ... things are getting outta hand here & we need to lighten up, load up, and ride. Barney would say the same thing, kiddies.

PS: I think that might be Andy in the costume, as I think that's a BMW!

2. #12 Re: Some spring rides 
    How entertaining! Thanks ChinaV for once again kicking off the riding season in style for us!

So what now, you just gonna sit there and let that trail kick your arse and make fun of you like that? I actually heard that track called you gay, are you gonna take that? Are you? Are you?

I'm looking forward to the next installment where you both bravely go back there early in the morning ready for war, only to find that the trail is now a blacktop toll road.

3. #13 Re: Some spring rides 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    ...don't you fear long and hostile venom snake? ...
    ChinaV,
    These venomous snake ARE native in DG 金腳帶 Bungarus fasciatus /銀腳帶 Bungarus multicinctus multicinctus /飯鏟頭 Naja atra /過山烏 Ophiophagus hannah. Better remember how they looks like NOW...

4. #14 Re: Some spring rides 
    Well said that man!! summer's here, bike's are ready, girls are hot, beers are cold!! The ride report section should have at least a couple of new ones to read every week

When you said "this trail is do able with 3 people" i though i'd wait for the photo's.. i think you're right, but we should still take the rope

Great photo's and motivation Lorne count me in.. it needs to be a lot steeper than that to call us gay.. even though we are

rich

5. #15 Re: Some spring rides 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    ChinaV,
    These venomous snake ARE native in DG 金腳帶 Bungarus fasciatus /銀腳帶 Bungarus multicinctus multicinctus /飯鏟頭 Naja atra /過山烏 Ophiophagus hannah. Better remember how they looks like NOW...
    I have seen a few snakes over the years, usually being dragged behind a local and about to be someone's lunch or dinner. I've heard that snakes are very sensitive to vibrations, so I'm sure they can feel us coming long before we get close.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    How entertaining! Thanks ChinaV for once again kicking off the riding season in style for us!

So what now, you just gonna sit there and let that trail kick your arse and make fun of you like that? I actually heard that track called you gay, are you gonna take that? Are you? Are you?
    No, I'm going to wait for your new bike to arrive and put it at the bottom of the hill so you can fetch it from there.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #16 Re: Some spring rides 
    I have seen a few snakes over the years, usually being dragged behind a local and about to be someone's lunch or dinner...
    背向天,人所食 These "pest" are eaten in Rural Southern China 田鼠 Arvicolinae / Leopard Cat / 禾花雀 Yellow-breasted Bunting / 禾虫 Tylorrhynchus heterochaeta...

7. #17 Re: Some spring rides 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I am assuming all the Spring Rides go in here? If I'm hijacking your thread, ChinaV, my apologies & please simply move it across to a new thread - thanks

==========

The old guy (lao jia hou) got a day pass from the “rest home” and two kind youngins on motorbikes took me out for a Spring ride. Both these fresh daisies have only been riding, legally, for a relatively short time. Myself, I started riding on the farm, age 8, many, many decades ago … and have since clocked oodles of miles.

I’ll have to go easy on these young, wet-behind-the-ears riders.

Unfortunately, it isn’t long before I am at the back of the pack … fortunately, with age, you just don’t give a sh*t.

But, let’s start this ride report at the beginning. Barry and I met, on time, a few blocks away from Pat’s home. Here are our pseudo-shiny twin JH600 bikes, waiting for Pat (who is a few minutes late). Black & blue (hopefully not some ominous premonition).

Another pic of “black & blue” and is that Pat in the distance?

Time to gas up, in prep for a break-in ride of Barry’s new bike up to the Great Wall. Barry and I receive wonderful service from the pleasant, smiling attendant.

Pat, as a penalty for being late, was relegated to another pump, in isolation, with a grumpy attendant. Footnote: notice that “clean” Beijing air! Officially, government records this as a “blue sky day.”

Off we go, through insane Beijing traffic jams, as everyone tries to get out of the city on Saturday morning. I am leading, for now, as I supposedly know the way (and have the GPS). When traffic thins outside the city, I try a Euphonius trick with my Canon G11 … taking a pic of the trailing bikes, over my shoulder. (I need proof that I was in front)

That is my helmet & some trees … and genuine blue sky!

I will call this creative pic “An Artistic Post-Modern Expression at 60 km/h”. OK, the truth … as noted in other posts, my pic-taking ability is pathetic. Trust me – there was a moment when I was in the lead!

Riding on a road with thinned traffic, the two youngins began leaving grandpa in their dust.

Hmmm … revenge is best served cold … stay tuned.

We pass through a few villages on our way … and for the benefit of viewers outside China, this is a tiny, tiny example of riding in China … buses drifting into your lane, head on … little dogs waiting to dart out … kids, kids and more kids ... hidden driveways from which unyielding drivers dart out. It can be hard to look at the scenery, as one’s attention is always on “what insane thing can possibly happen next?”

Went through the mountains, stopped at a vista … and here’s an example of exactly how tall Barry is … as tall as the mountains.

No wait, he’s taller than the mountains! And look at that honkin’ camera he’s holding … sigh. I think these yungins might know a thing or two.

Off to one section of the Great Wall (where it comes down into a lake) …

Stopped for lunch. I pull over and park the bike in what appears to be a super-convenient spot. I felt quite proud of myself and thought my riding buddies would be happy! Pat, whose Chinese language skills are very good, asks me if I can read … sure, of course I can read … English. Ah, ok, he says … the sign says “please do not park here”.

But now it is time for some revenge!!!! These youngins may be quicker, smarter, taller, have better Chinese skills … BUT, I’m the only one to get the girl this fine day … heh heh … eat your heart out, kiddies!

She’s one tough mama!

After a tasty lunch, we’re off. I boldly boast “follow me, I know the way” (and, of course, I have a GPS). True to form, I end up trailing, again, and the Chinese map on my GPS is having its mandatory after-lunch, mid-day nap …

You can see that the countryside is very brown, as winter is still here, and Beijing continues to suffer from a long & serious drought. In the summer & fall, however, there is a lot of green.

After about 30 kms, the GPS comes back to life and starts shouting at me “make a u-turn … make a u-turn” because I seem to be taking us the wrong way. Ooooops.

I couldn’t think of any believable lie to tell my companions, so I fessed up and we back-tracked. Didn’t matter, as we’re still all smiles for just being out & about with Barry’s new bike.

Sorry, no more pics, as we soon hit miles & miles of bumper-to-bumper Beijing traffic, requiring complete focus on riding. We hopped on a toll-expressway thinking it would be quicker, but traffic was stopped dead for miles … so we rode on the shoulder, which is allowed & expected for motorcycles (Beijing car drivers get quite angry when motorcycles take up space in regular lanes). We were frequently sharing the shoulder with huge buses, so we had to squeeze between literally dozens & dozens of them and the guard-rail (some very tight spots, with only inches to spare). Pat had a distinct advantage on his nimble & narrow Qingqi.

Made it back to the rest-home, safe and sound … the only black & blue remained with the bike colours.

Any day on a bike is a day in paradise, but best shared with friends … and biker mamas, if you’re handsome enough to attract them!
    =============
    Disclaimer: Most of the facts in this ride report are somewhat truthful. There may be some slight editorial liberty during dramatization.

8. #18 Re: Some spring rides 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Truthiness is always welcome in ride reports!

And it looks like, for all the traffic and hassles, the ride was worth it. In that final frame the sky is indeed blue, and the clouds picture perfect.

Thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #19 Re: Some spring rides 
    Many, many thanks Lao Jia Hou for the excellent ride report. Great to see another part of China, and fellow bikers out having fun, that's what this thread is here for. Can't wait for the summer version when you go back and visit your lady friend... in her string tank top and short shorts .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #20 Re: Some spring rides 
    Many, many thanks Lao Jia Hou for the excellent ride report. Great to see another part of China, and fellow bikers out having fun, that's what this thread is here for. Can't wait for the summer version when you go back and visit your lady friend... in her string tank top and short shorts .

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Uh, nice ride report but Lao's lady friend in her string tank top and short shorts does not exist without photos of said lady.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast