Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Sorry to break it to you, but there are no 100% legit Kawasaki Ninja 250s in China. The ones you're finding online are not legally imported, and cannot be legally plated in Shanghai without paying bribes. Of the Japanese big four, only Kawasaki has not formally entered the China market, at least not in a branded way.

As for your "friend" who can get you a license without you having to take legal exams, etc, like all responsible drivers do, good luck with that. Didn't you just say you wanted to be 100% legit?

Seems you have all the answers you need already. Why come to MCM and confuse yourself with actual genuine facts?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #32 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Just sharing some thoughts my friend.... Clearly i have enough driving experience to pass any driving exam just wanna save some time and effort. And about the license plate im planning to register it in other province, i was told it could be done. The only downside is that i can only drive the bike in shanghai during weekends and pass 8 during weekdays, i think i can live with that. At the end of the day its better running with a outside plate than no plate at all. Atleast i'll pay for my bikes tax and insurance.

3. #33 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Dunno why you'd do the 2-3K route. A friend of mine did this a few years ago and got some "training" on a Honda cub for the riding portion of the exam. Essentially all they did was translate for him at the various offices and made sure his documents were in order (car driver's license from Australia had to be translated too). Really not worth it in my opinion. Much better if you just get your foreign license translated, then get someone to go with you to the office. Look it up on the board, all the addresses are right here.

4. #34 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Yeah i might consider doing that just need to make time for it... Tnx man for the genuine concern
    Ride safe

5. #35 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by xtoss View Post
    Just sharing some thoughts my friend.... Clearly i have enough driving experience to pass any driving exam just wanna save some time and effort. And about the license plate im planning to register it in other province, i was told it could be done. The only downside is that i can only drive the bike in shanghai during weekends and pass 8 during weekdays, i think i can live with that. At the end of the day its better running with a outside plate than no plate at all. Atleast i'll pay for my bikes tax and insurance.
    Dear xtoss,

Sorry for my flip comments. I don't mean to be a prick. Spend a bit more time in these boards and you'll see lots of expat guys coming in boasting about how they scoff at laws and freeload amid the messiness of Chinese society. It's not hard to do, and, at least among most members of MCM, not a great badge of honor. The law and/or gravity eventually catch up with scofflaws and freeloaders, and we expats in China inevitably pay a price for that, having contributed to the general impression that "you foreigners all think you are above the law." So when you wrote that you wanted to be "legit", MCM responded with well-intentioned replies, and continues to do so. Search through the archives and you'll find highly informative posts, with real-life examples of what can happen to expats who are not fully legal, or who cut corners to get legal. For example, if you are on a licensed bike and bought insurance, but are discovered to have paid for a dodgy license, did you realize that the authorities will assign you 100% of responsibility for any accident, regardless of who is at fault, and that the insurance company will refuse to cover any claims? And that you stand a chance of spending 15 days in a cell? Those are facts.

Apart from considerations of the convenience of having someone go organize your license for you, ask yourself this: Would you do that in your own country? And what would you think of an expat in your country who thought it better to scam your country's system than queue up and take the exam himself like everyone else does? What if they sped around town without licenses, on unlicensed bikes, with no insurance, and then got in a collision with someone in your own family?

Yeah, life in China has its indignities, but for the most part life here is actually easier for and more indulgent of expats than it is for our hosts. Get yourself legally licensed, get a legally plated bike, get insurance, ride responsibly and respectfully, and, believe me, the good feeling will far exceed the thrill of getting away with shit. Like I said, I'm not trying to be a prick here. Just saying we're all part of a community, and that it's within our power to make that community better, in ways large and small. What have you got to offer to help improve our community of motorcyclists?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #36 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    though im an experienced and responsible driver (i mean driving courteous and defensive all the time) what u said is true, going through the right process is always the right thing to do in any given situation. No offense taken i truly understand your point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234