Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey, I am in shanghai and looking at buying a motorcycle. I have heard about one store, http://jlmoto.taobao.com . I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before. Do their bikes come with proper reg. + fa piao? quality of bikes? Let me know!
    Also, let me know if u know anywhere or any way i can buy a bike to use in shanghai, preferably >250cc.
    Thx!
    Last edited by tasty; 03-24-2011 at 11:20 AM.

2. #2 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Tasty,

Welcome to the forum. The link you've posted is not working. Please take a couple of minutes to spin through the many, many posts in this forum that focus specifically on finding, buying, registering and operating a motorcycle in Shanghai. It's possible, and legal, but unless you have a trust fund it's not for the faint of heart. Once you've read in and are up to speed about what's possible, lots of us will pitch in to help you make good decisions and have the best possible experience.

Here's a good place to start, if I may be so bold.

Good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Some weirdness with that web site going on. Doing a search for JLmoto and Taobao brought me to this site: http://jlmoto.taobao.com/?search=y... I hot linked it and put it in as an url, curious to know if it works.

/edit

Waitaminute, these are the guys at Tian Ma. Yeh, I'll let the other members here speak their opinions on the place first.

Have to admit there are some drool worthy bikes there!

4. #4 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    arhgh sry about that, i fixed the link now. Thanks for the comment, ill try read around on the forum for more info! And WOW thats a lot of work just to get your A plate. But i was curious about that specific store, jlmoto. And the good news is I actually live outside of the Inner ring road, basically in the outskirts in shanghai so it won't be well..insanely impossible haha.
    Thanks for the comment, and ill look into the other posts
    Thx!

5. #5 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Some weirdness with that web site going on. Doing a search for JLmoto and Taobao brought me to this site: http://jlmoto.taobao.com/?search=y... I hot linked it and put it in as an url, curious to know if it works.

/edit

Waitaminute, these are the guys at Tian Ma. Yeh, I'll let the other members here speak their opinions on the place first.

Have to admit there are some drool worthy bikes there!
    Yeah, O.o i know! and fairly reasonable price-wise for second hand bikes with such a low mileage. Have you heard of them before? speak your opinon! let me know!

6. #6 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Glad you asked this question "tasty" - I've bumped into this taobao shop a few times while browsing for specific bikes. The selection/prices do seem "a bit too good to be true".

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Are they running a shop selling "one owner bikes, but that owner doesn't know where their bike is"? (quoting Euphonius)

Where is Tian Ma? Is that down in ChinaV's neighbourhood?

7. #7 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Surely the JLMoto guys are members of MCM. Perhaps they can help with some answers. Here are some questions:

--Where to you get your bikes?
    --Can your bikes be registered and legally owned in China?
    --What evidence do you provide to assure buyers that these bikes were procured legally, imported legally, and are not stolen?
    --Do you assist buyers with registration?
    --For customers in Shanghai, do you help to obtain Shanghai 沪A plates or do you obtain 外地 plates (i.e., from Jiangsu, Anhui, Zhejiang or other regions)?
    --If a customer asked for a "fake" plate, would you help to provide it? How much?
    --What percentage of your customers ride their bikes legally in China, meaning with legal title and registration?

Thank you!
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Surely the JLMoto guys are members of MCM. Perhaps they can help with some answers. Here are some questions:

--What evidence do you provide to assure buyers that these bikes were procured legally, imported legally, and are not stolen?
    --For customers in Shanghai, do you help to obtain Shanghai 沪A plates or do you obtain 外地 plates (i.e., from Jiangsu, Anhui, Zhejiang or other regions)?
    --If a customer asked for a "fake" plate, would you help to provide it? How much?
    --What percentage of your customers ride their bikes legally in China, meaning with legal title and registration?

Thank you!
    Good questions. I'd love to see answers from JLmoto. These are things anybody should be thinking of before buying a used bike in China. There are lots of stories of people buying bikes with duplicate/fake plates. Also people should be aware that an imported moto needs a "Green Book" to be legally registered.

9. #9 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

Thank you!
    Mate, your day dreaming getting the full low down on the second hand bikes for sale out at the Tianma Circuit bikes shops.

This one cracks me up big time, "If a customer asked for a "fake" plate, would you help to provide it? How much?", nobody in their right mind would make a statement in a public online forum....

Ride safe! PAL

10. #10 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Mate, your day dreaming getting the full low down on the second hand bikes for sale out at the Tianma Circuit bikes shops.

This one cracks me up big time, "If a customer asked for a "fake" plate, would you help to provide it? How much?", nobody in their right mind would make a statement in a public online forum....

Ride safe! PAL
    Dear Pal,

The original poster of this thread asked about the bona fides of this company, thinking that MCM members might have some ideas. I've not seen members raining down with praise for JLMoto, or even much in the way of views, positive or negative. Given our collective interest in a healthier market, these are precisely the questions that people shopping for new or used bikes should be asking, and they are precisely the questions that JLMoto and any other vendor should be prepared to answer, including the one about fake plates. Every expat I know has asked me about fake plates. Someone is out there selling them. And contrary to your comment, some sellers do in fact post openly about how to "buy" drivers licenses and plates.

You seem to know details about the Tianma operations, and you seem to be strongly suggesting with your "dreaming" comment that what they do is perhaps not 100% legal or ethical. We also know from your previous posts that you are in the industry and are very keen to see it become more professional and transparent and safe and reliable. If you indeed know about underhanded or illegal business practices that might hurt your fellow riders, why not just come out and say it? You could save your fellow motorcyclists a lot of trouble and time and help make things better.

In any case, tasty and anyone else tempted to buy from JLMoto or "at Tianma" should definitely be asking all of these questions and more. You wouldn't disagree, would you, Pal?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast