Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Pal,

The original poster of this thread asked about the bona fides of this company, thinking that MCM members might have some ideas. I've not seen members raining down with praise for JLMoto, or even much in the way of views, positive or negative. Given our collective interest in a healthier market, these are precisely the questions that people shopping for new or used bikes should be asking, and they are precisely the questions that JLMoto and any other vendor should be prepared to answer, including the one about fake plates. Every expat I know has asked me about fake plates. Someone is out there selling them. And contrary to your comment, some sellers do in fact post openly about how to "buy" drivers licenses and plates.

You seem to know details about the Tianma operations, and you seem to be strongly suggesting with your "dreaming" comment that what they do is perhaps not 100% legal or ethical. We also know from your previous posts that you are in the industry and are very keen to see it become more professional and transparent and safe and reliable. If you indeed know about underhanded or illegal business practices that might hurt your fellow riders, why not just come out and say it? You could save your fellow motorcyclists a lot of trouble and time and help make things better.

In any case, tasty and anyone else tempted to buy from JLMoto or "at Tianma" should definitely be asking all of these questions and more. You wouldn't disagree, would you, Pal?

cheers
    I agree, the questions created are very important, and should definitely be answered before buying a bike. And if JLMOTO is selling legit bikes they should have no problem answering them. If only there were more people that dealt with them before!!

2. #12 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    "Tianma circuit" - is that the GP track near Shanghai?

3. #13 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Every expat I know has asked me about fake plates. Someone is out there selling them.
    Visited several big bike shops in Shanghai and the scooter market (Jiaoji Road), quite a few shops sell "fake plates" (not the HK8888 plastic novelty plates) but who would risk cruising around with a "fake plate" anyway?

If you indeed know about underhanded or illegal business practices that might hurt your fellow riders, why not just come out and say it? You could save your fellow motorcyclists a lot of trouble and time and help make things better.
    Mate, wouldn't touch any motorbike offered by the Tianma Circuit shops with a 10' pole!
    Have you ever visited the Tianjin black market shops & dealers offering dubious big motorbikes and hi-po cars?!

Ride safe! PAL

ps: certain shady Shanghai big bike dealers offer bikes on order, you specify make, year, model, color and they go looking for them through contacts in overseas countries.....
    pss: sometimes emails go around in Chinese offering dubious big bikes with pics and specs.... TIC!

4. #14 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    "Tianma circuit" - is that the GP track near Shanghai?
    NO, Tianma Circuit is located near Sheshan Mountain: http://www.stc2002.com / http://www.stc2002.com/en/info.asp?t=85

Ride safe! PAL

5. #15 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Mate, wouldn't touch any motorbike offered by the Tianma Circuit shops with a 10' pole!
    OK, now THAT's what I call a definitive statement.

To be honest, I was not expecting the JLMoto boys to chime in with replies to my questions, but it's only right that they be given a chance to respond.

thanks again!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Argh that sucks, they looked so promising. Thanks guys, any other ppl have any experience there??
    Thanks

7. #17 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    OP if you are after a good quality motorcycle that can be LEGALLY plated in your name, then JLmoto is not the shop to deal with.
    1. Questionable backgrounds (probably stolen and definitely shipped through the backdoor in Shenzhen).
    2. Serious concerns over the legitimacy of the claimed mileage on many of the bikes offered.
    3. All plates offered through JLmoto are not yours, as they are Waide plates and such like.
    4. Once you buy, you are on your own in terms of any form of warranty, and possibly plate issues down the track.
    5. Seriously, if you research the market on imported motorcycle brands that LEGALLY import into China and the prices which those bikes are sold at, then it's too easy to tell that JLmoto sell ILLEGAL motorcycles!

I have a mate who bought two bikes (BMW R1150GS & KTM250) from Jimmy (JLmoto) at the TianMa circuit (been there many times myself). The BMW had questionable mileage from the get-go based on age etc. It's since had to have a complete tranny rebuild at RMB40000 (all imported parts and rebuilt by 'Ulli' at the Go-carting shop (end shop at TianMa)([addit: March 2014] shop now closed). I accompanied one of my German friends to JLmoto when it was time for the bikes bought from there to have the re-inspection certificates renewed. I could only laugh on the inside listening to the BS excuses Jimmy was telling my friend as to why the certificates couldn't be renewed.

Dont' just take my advice - want some first hand advice about JLmoto offerings then go speak with Ulli (Ulrich) anyway he's the German engineer with the first shop along from JLmoto there at TianMa - he'll tell you some horror stories of bikes sold by JLm.

If you want prices on any of the foreign brands that sell in China just ask (though Lao Jia Hou has prices in the For Sale Classifieds thread), I can assure you those prices are often double-triple what JLmoto might advertise the same model for.

LEGAL foreign motorcycle brands in China include, Piaggio, Benelli, Harley-Davidson, BMW, Ducati (all of which sell >250cc motorcycles). The Japanese & Taiwanese brands (Suzuki, Yamaha, Kymco) generally are limited to <250cc, though times change and some legal imported bikes through official distributors are available again refer to deal from dealers section of this forum.

LEGAL Chinese motorcycle brands in China providing >250cc motorcycles include JiaLing, CFmoto and to a lesser extent ChangJiang (though the latter is not without its issues).

As Pal said, I'd avoid JLmoto with a 10' barge pole. Of course if you ask Jimmy (or the other guys working) at JLmoto, they'll sugar-coat all the answers to any questions you put to them.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 03-21-2014 at 02:17 AM.

8. #18 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    There are from time-to-time some legal alternatives that are for sale through the likes of Taobao. There is a legal Yamaha TMax 500 maxi-scooter for sale for RMB170,000 (which is an outrageous price IMO), but it 100% legal, with all the papers, inspection certificate etc. So it can get a legal plate. These motorcycles are a premium because it costs a shiet-load to get them LEGALLY in the country and compliant. That might put JLmoto's prices in perspective! They'll sell a Tmax at 1/3-1/4 that price

9. #19 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    tasty, if dual-purpose (enduro) is you type of ride (worthy consideration given China's terrain outside the cities) you might like to consider a Yamaha YBR125 dual-purpose trail-bike, or Shineray X2 or X5, or the JiaLing JH600 600cc single, perhaps the new Qianjiang/Benelli 600GT (2014), or else a BMW F650GS / G650GS at al. at much higher pricing. If scoots are your idea of a ride, then go with CFMoto's CF250T-ViP Fashion (licensed Honda Helix clone), or the newer and all-together different CF250T-6A Jetmax maxi scooter (an awesome scoot for the money IMO) or even the domestically available Jetlux which has the same engine shared with the Jetmax.

If money is not a consideration for a scoot then how about a Kymco Xciting250 or a Piaggio MP3 250 3-wheeler. If road bikes are your tonic of choice, then CFMoto have a CF650 twin cyclinder road sport somewhat similar looking to the Kawasaki E6-N and they will putting out a 650cc tourer later this year, followed by a ADV 650 sometime later (2013/14). CFmoto might also put out a larger displacement maxi scooter, though this is an unconfirmed rumour at the moment. So tasty there are other alternatives, some of which offer a product at a more affordable Chinese price or a Chinese made product or more for an imported one. There's still much more on offer for LEGAL options with a wider variety of price points than there was even just a few years ago.

Then there is the CFMoto - KTM partnership and what will come out of that...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 03-21-2014 at 02:22 AM.

10. #20 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ...CFMoto have a CF650 twin cyclinder road sport somewhat similar looking to the Kawasaki E6-N and they will putting out a 800cc cruiser later this year.
    bikerdoc, good to hear from you these days. are you saying the CF650 twin is available in china, meets China3 and can be registered? lots of buzz about that bike and the occasional sighting, but has it been officially launched? I think one of our shanghai boys saw one recently but was warned off of it...

Would love to see some competition in that mid-bore range, if for no other reason than to keep Jialing on their toes.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast