Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    'Pete' at the Go-carting shop (end shop at TianMa) / want some first hand advice about JLmoto offerings then go speak with Pete (sorry might have his English name incorrect) anyway he's the German engineer with the first shop along from JLmoto there at TianMa - he'll tell you some horror stories of bikes sold by JLm.
    The bloke at the Tianma Circuit shop (glass house at main entrance) German engineer = Ullrich "ULLI"( nickname: Motormouth as he talks to much and has problems with everyone in the China vehicle business).

Ride safe! PAL

2. #22 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    tasty, if dual-purpose (enduro) is you type of ride (worthy consideration given China's terrain outside the cities) you might like to consider a Yamaha YBR250 dual-purpose trail-bike or the JiaLing JH600 600cc single, or else a BMW F650GS / G650GS at al. at much higher pricing. If scoots are your idea of a ride, then go with CFMoto's CF250T-ViP Fashion (licensed Honda Helix clone), or the newer and all-together different CF250T-6A Jetmax maxi scooter (an awesome scoot for the money IMO. If money is not a consideration for a scoot then how about a Kymco Xciting250 or a Piaggio MP3 250 3-wheeler. If road bikes are your tonic of choice, then CFMoto have a CF650 twin cyclinder road sport somewhat similar looking to the Kawasaki E6-N and they will putting out a 800cc cruiser later this year. CFmoto might also put out a larger displacement maxi scooter, though this is an unconfirmed rumour at the moment. So tasty there are other alternatives, some of which offer a product at a more affordable Chinese price or a Chinese made product or more for an imported one. There's still much more on offer for LEGAL options with a wider variety of price points than there was even just a few years ago.
    Thanks for the advise and your insight into jlmoto! I was actually just looking for something small, like a Honda VTR250. something that has enough power to cruise but still nimble enough to handle in the city. I guess to have a motorbike in china you either gotta' go illegal or have a million dollars! I'll look into what you said, and do some research about locally produced bikes.
    Thanks!

3. #23 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by tasty View Post
    Thanks for the advise and your insight into jlmoto! I was actually just looking for something small, like a Honda VTR250. something that has enough power to cruise but still nimble enough to handle in the city. I guess to have a motorbike in china you either gotta' go illegal or have a million dollars! I'll look into what you said, and do some research about locally produced bikes.
    Thanks!
    Dear Tasty,

All of us who own legal bikes in Shanghai face this dilemma. Yes, it's a lot of cash out of pocket for the plates -- probably 48,000 rmb for a downtown plate and 7,000 for a suburban plate. But here's the deal: the plates are transferable, and limited in supply and, hence, knock wood, appreciating. The plate I bought a year ago for 42k is now 48k. If I stopped riding today, I could sell my bike as a package at (current value of bike) + 48k, or I could delink them, sell the bike to a farmer for whatever, and sell the plate for 48k. Such is the nature of Shanghai's auction-based system. Supply and demand.

Several concerns: 1) It's a lot of cash to raise. 2) Since bike plates track the value of car plates (because they can always be transfered to a car), what happens if suddenly Shanghai releases a ton of car plates and the market rate drops? 3) What if the policy changes?

It's easy to understand why lots of folks just go illegal, but that can and will end up being a very costly proposition if your luck runs out and you have an accident. Under Chinese law, if you are illegal (unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured or under the influence), you bear 100% of the responsibility in an accident, regardless of the actual circumstances. So those odds suck pretty bad. And as we've seen in many cities around China, the police are getting much more assertive with random stops, checking for license, registration, insurance and sobriety.

Still, it seems like more than half of the bikes on the road in Shanghai appear to be illegal. Lots of folks playing the odds.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Somewhat related, I bumped into this website via an ad on the Beijing used bike website.

Hmmmmm.

So, I clicked over to the website's product offerings and ran it through google translate ...

Interesting assortment, including "Mysterious Blue Honda" (yeah, I'll accept that its origin is mysterious) and "Big Dog Idiot" (which, I guess you'd be if you sent these guys money)

Maybe the bikes are 1:20 scale?

5. #25 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    9000 quai for a ducati 1098
    Mmmm thats the dream

6. #26 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Hi there..... Im new to the forum just browsing some info how to get a sport bike in shanghai and u mention this lao jia hou, can u kindly post this specific thread thanks... Sorry for the inconvinience

7. #27 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear xtoss,

Welcome to MCM, and most if not all information you need can be found in the pages of MCM. Spend some time digging, and use the "advanced search" function, which is a link below the largely useless search window that appears on all pages.

From your post it's not really clear what you are asking. Are you licensed? Do you have legal residency? What kind of "sport bike" are you seeking (and, ahem, why the suicidal bike choice?)?

Once you've spent a bit more time browsing the many forums and threads, please don't hesitate to ask specific questions!

Welcome!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #28 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Welcome aboard "xtoss" as Euphonius has kindly answered you will find oodles of information concerning everything you would need and should know to be successful in meeting your motorcycle wants and needs inside mainland China. I want to point out that there are several options in terms of legal motorcycles in China from locally made CF650NK, CF650TR, BJ600 at around CNY36000 - CNY49000 through to Hayabusa GSX1300R for CNY260000. Additionally you will need to factor in taxes and any payable duties if the motorcycle is imported, and then there is the cost of the license plate which in SH costs upwards of some CNY70-90000 depending on where you read the information. The plate is a one of fee though, and one will likely get ones money back... As Euphonius wrote, please use the search engine near the top of the webpage or browse through the various categories of MCM.

BD

9. #29 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    Welcome aboard "xtoss" as Euphonius has kindly answered you will find oodles of information concerning everything you would need and should know to be successful in meeting your motorcycle wants and needs inside mainland China. I want to point out that there are several options in terms of legal motorcycles in China from locally made CF650NK, CF650TR, BJ600 at around CNY36000 - CNY49000 through to Hayabusa GSX1300R for CNY260000. Additionally you will need to factor in taxes and any payable duties if the motorcycle is imported, and then there is the cost of the license plate which in SH costs upwards of some CNY70-90000 depending on where you read the information. The plate is a one of fee though, and one will likely get ones money back... As Euphonius wrote, please use the search engine near the top of the webpage or browse through the various categories of MCM.

BD
    appreciate the infos....
    but actually im planning to buy an imported one(2013 kawasaki ninja 250) to be exact i've seen some store in taobao that offers this bike(import from thailand). The cost in america is around 5000 usd but they sell it there for 47k+ rmb,.sounds legit? base from my rough computation seems like a fair value considering the tax. I saw some post that if that bike cost almost double the actual price most likely its legally imported. And they did mention something about the plate, they said they can apply one for me but it will be registered in jiangsu(3k rmb)
    would appreciate if i can hear your thoughts about this.
    thanks guys:)

10. #30 Re: Buying a motorbike in Shanghai/ JLmoto Experiences? 
    2013 kawasaki ninja 250..... about the driver license part i had this interesting conversation with my friend and he told me that he knows someone who can take care of my licensing stuff. All i need to do is to pay 2-3k rmb and give him the necessary requirements and its done,(anyone heard about this?) I know it will cost me less if i do it myself but i have very busy sched and have no patience to go through the hassles:P.....

p.s.
    its just a super sport looking bike and maybe a bit faster than other 250's (not a rocket ship):)
    and yes, im an expat in shanghai, been driving for almost 3 years now with my scooter (illegally). I wanna upgrade to a better performing bike and this time i wanna it to be 100% legit.

tnx for the info man!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast