Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    C-Moto Noob
    OK: update!
    I have given this bike back to the shop (at a loss, of course!) ..and that was not in order to have another look at the secretaries!
    Why?
    1- Because the sound level was ridiculous once over 5,500 revs, while the power was ridiculous below! One could say: "just change the exhaust", but I had no intention to spend thousands in an in-depth comparison on motorcycle exhausts! I had been riding that little bike for a 1,000 km, and as I could feel the engine getting run-in and more free, I could appreciate the correct power (for a 125) it was delivering at 6,000 revs, but below: zero! My also 125cc single cylinder push-rod Hoajiang, which I happily still had, gives a good lot more starting at 4,000....and silently!
    2- Because horribly uncomfortable on a long ride! Oh, the road-holding - and breaking - was superb with this rigid frame, but also nearly rigid seat! Front suspension is also pretty stiff, and just destroys your wrists with this low hand-bar!
    3- Because.... my wife hated it! Used to the wide, comfy seat with a comforting pad behind her back of the cruiser style Hoajiang, this screaming little thing was just a no-no!
    4- and last because it is: a cop magnet!!! Without doing any offense, I got stopped three times in 1,000 km. by cops suspecting some illegal transformation, or just that I was over-speeding! Can't really blame them: you should have heard that thing: most aggressive sound I ever heard from a bike!!!

Well: I am a bit sad, actually! Was happy - of course! - to have a new bike, modern, with a twin cyl. engine (although a disappointing one), and looking forward to some sporty rides, but have to look for something more "civil". Will let you know.

Oh, by the way: yes, it was Chinese!

2. #102 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    Sorry to hear the bike didn't work out for you Luke. To get stopped 3 times in such a short space of time is a real kick in the face. The RR is also a noisy bike and would probably draw attention too. Good luck finding the next one.

A little update on the DD250G-2N.

After 6500km's i can confidently say that the new cooling system on this 2011 model is awful and a complete waste of time having. The fan is like a childs toy and has little to no affect. The cooling system itself leaks from every imaginable seal. I think i'd rather take the whole system off than have to go to the mechanics every other weekend to plug a seal.

The rest of the bike is working fine and seems to be improving. Generally, i'm still very happy with it and don't regret going for this budget Chinese 250 street bike.

...Oh wait, another thing, the electrics are cheapo too. I'm already on my third rev counter and speedo due to heavy rain...Going back to 0 mileage again is always a positive though, and it was all replaced for free, so not to grumble too much.

3. #103 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Sorry too for you about the cooling problems! I don't really understand why they went to this system while it was working all right on earlier, air cooled models???

For me, next bike? The (also Chinese made!) Yamaha Fazer 150 is tempting, sure: good power from this single cyl, OHC 150cc. engine, good look, good finish, not as modern front suspension and frame as my "ex" one but still good look and known as reliable and fast.... The only real knock is the price!!! 4,100 USD here!!! ....and after having lost 500 on giving back the "ex" one to the shop, I am a little.....careful!

4. #104 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    Lucky,

Sorry to hear this.

It seems like u're gonna have to plunge deeper in ur pockets to get something satisfying.

Wish u better luck next time, let us know how it goes for u.

Dewsnap,

Yea I'd be u I'd ask my mechanic if there's no way he can simply take the whole thing off.

That might mean u also have to retrograde it to a carb? I don't really know what I'm talking about here...

The one I have gets really hot after a couple hours, or even after 30mn when weather's hot, but I've never notice that it affects it in any other way...

Regarding the speedo maybe u should use some glycero paint (for walls) and cover the joints around the screen with a few layers, and tape the bottom...

Adding the top of a transparent bottle cap would be best, with some electric black tape and a precise fit, maybe.

It seems like u'll have to find a DIY solution...

My one gets on my nerves with the headlight these days, the regular beam always dies after a couple weeks since like a few months...

Gotta be electric pb...

Whatever, I use the Highbeam to see how long it lasts.
    Blacked out the headlight with some tape leaving just a T shaped beam, in respect of other users...

Maybe I should just add a small resistor on the regular beam wire...

Ideas are welcome.

Out of this she's doing all ri.

I'm impressed u already reached 6500km, I'm at 7000km since last Nov.

Wish a good WE to u all.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #105 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My one is still very new, just changed the oil for the first time. I have no cooling problems, so far. Just what happened few days ago: the battery died but had still enough power for the fuel pump, however to weak for the E-starter. I pushed her in 2. gear and the engine started immediately. After that I took the battery out and charged it at home. But it got even worse. This time there was no power even to initiate the fuel pump. But started again by pushing in 2. gear. In both cases the starter worked after few km ride. So, the generator works obviously. Just the battery seems dead. There was unequal boiling in the cells and also the cells were filled with electrolite very unevenly: some at minimum, some full. I think some of the cells might have internal short-circuit. Anyway need a new one...

6. #106 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    I just got a used one of these. It's the air-cooled version. Came with a replacement smaller battery as I got it used. Maybe the 1st guy had the same problem?

7. #107 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    I have one of these, done 30,000 kms plus over 3 years, the 6th bike I have owned, and 3rd in China. I have another thread on it elsewhere but don't want to re-open that can of worms. Enough to say:

1. The bike isn't that great. It is redeemable if you put in some mechanical work time in parts and labor and keep at it you can have a low grade version of a CB250.
    2. Those parts and labor would cost too much to have a professional mechanic do for you in a developed country.
    3. I'd keep a long way clear from fuel injected and water-cooled versions of this bike.
    4. The bikes wheels and tires are from the Honda CMX250 so it doesn't handle that well.
    5. Bike needs an oil-cooler, air cooled version gets hot and power can fade.

90% of the time my advice is 'buy the best Honda you can afford'. Most people who think Chinese bikes are good are newbs on their first bike.

Honest but true, Cheers Z.

8. #108 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    [...]Most people who think Chinese bikes are good are newbs on their first bike.[...]
    I ride on a DD250G since 2010, though I'm a noob on his 1st bike, I know I'll never buy a Chinese bike again...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

9. #109 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    It would appear they have stopped making the dd250b-2n or NAC250.
    It isnt on their website anymore.

its a beautiful bike but while it has its teething problems, once they are working, they tend to work and never let you down.
    now we are left with spt360's from regal, a bike with none of the looks of the dd250g, a bike that looks like it should have been called the sti350 IMO. well saying that imo none of their other bikes are lookers at all.
    I promised my self I would get one of these bikes a couple of years ago, I just never got round to it. I went for reliability instead. Before they all vanish im gonna get me one and put it in the garage for 2 weeks while I strip it and re make it.
    Last edited by lightend; 02-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    just because something is possibly possible, does not follow that is it essentially essential.

10. #110 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N (2011) 
    Before they all vanish im gonna get me one and put it in the garage for 2 weeks while I strip it and re make it.
    I recommend you find a 2nd hand air-cooled carb version, pre 2010 and then rebuild it.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast