Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    That doesn't sound good Moilami. I thought i was buying a little piece of mind with the branded disc locks.

On a positive note, i collected my new bike today. Took it for a little ride in the sun and clocked 100km's. Still had problems finding 1st gear so i took it back to the mechanic. He fixed it in no time but after a while i couldn't find bloody neutral. Frustrating, i'm guessing my poor skills are partly to blame, but Weel (an experienced rider) also struggled to find neutral, so i think a trip back to the shop 2mora is in order.

Weel and my wife went out for a spin in his sidecar today. My wife really enjoyed it. Weel's friend also came along on his CJ and i was following slowly behind on my Raptor. We only had a short ride but the bike was fun and all in all it's been a good first day on two weels.

P1060509.jpg

P1060507.jpg

I'll try to review the bike and be more detailed as get more familiar with it. Peace!
    Last edited by dewsnap; 04-05-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added pics

2. #32 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    I saw your bike in the Jinan, Shandong Yamaha dealership for 18,000RMB. Maybe you got a good deal on yours.

P.S. Buy some Loctite and tighten all the bolts you can find!

3. #33 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    Thanks ZMC. Already done. I watched the mechanics tighten most of the bolts using loctite. I also asked him to take the engine apart and put it all back together but he just looked at me like i was crazy. I'll wait for the first service and try him again. I'm delighted that you've seen the bike for 18,000rmb, i feel better about the price i paid now and my wife felt the same. I'm surprised that there is such a huge difference in price from province to province though.

I've had a bit more time on the bike again this morning. I think the new levers (the same levers ChinaV has on his Yingang) are partly to blame for why i'm missing neutral. They're really short and you don't seem to get a big range of leverage. I've adjusted them a bit and it seems better now but i'm only hitting neutral 50% of the time. I'm having to wait at the lights with the clutch in which is far from ideal. If i turn the egine off i can get neutral everytime.

I'm also concerned about that rear brake, it's really poor. I know the front brake should be sharper but the rear is crap unless i really push hard. Maybe i'll get some better brake pads. ZMC, do you know what size pads i should be looking for on the Raptor? Could i get them from Taobao?

Cheers.

4. #34 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    I've had a bit more time on the bike again this morning. I think the new levers (the same levers ChinaV has on his Yingang) are partly to blame for why i'm missing neutral. They're really short and you don't seem to get a big range of leverage. I've adjusted them a bit and it seems better now but i'm only hitting neutral 50% of the time.
    Two questions:

#1 There are several different versions of those levers, (Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha) and they are not really universal. Which ones did you buy, and were they the complete assembly with the perches and new master cylinder for the brake? They do have a 6 position adjuster and I can't see how position 6 wouldn't have enough length to pull the clutch completely.

#2 When you say "missing", are the other gears difficult to hit as well? Is it easier to find neutral when the bike is not running?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #35 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    Weel's friend also came along on his CJ and i was following slowly behind on my Raptor. We only had a short ride but the bike was fun and all in all it's been a good first day on two weels.
    Hey Dewsnap - congratulations on your new bike! I've always really liked that bike. Looks very sharp.

By the way, CJ riders always ask you to ride behind them - they say it is because they are slower - I say it is because they want us to pick up the parts that fly off.

Disclaimer - I am a recovering CJ'er in the 12-step program.

6. #36 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    Thanks for replying ChinaV. The levers i bought have MotoGP printed on them, no perches or master cylinders. I asked the guy selling them and he said they'd fit my bike. (here's the taobao link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3631448495 ) I have them on the 6th setting and i actually think they make gear changes easier as there's less range of movement. The problem is only when i stop at the lights, i can't find neutral. I can hit all the other gears fine. Also, when the bike isn't running i'm hitting neutral every time.

Thanks for that LJH. Wish you well in your recovery brother. Stay strong.

7. #37 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap
    I know the front brake should be sharper but the rear is crap unless i really push hard.
    Might be sloppy assembly when they've left some air in the brakes and they need to be bled more. Brakes should be adequate if adjusted properly.

8. #38 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    I've clocked over 400km's on the Regal-Raptor DD250G-2N now and feel ready to write up my first impressions...

Pro's:

Comfortable riding position. The footpegs aren't too far back so you sit fairly high, and the knees tuck in nicely to the tank.
    Passenger riding position is also high. My wife says it's more comfortable than my 150 scooter with less vibration.
    The suspension is fantastic even with 2 people up. The rear shocks just seem to soak it all up without bouncing aroud at all.
    Front brake is very sharp.
    Fires up first time every time. It's EFI so no need for the choke.
    Tires are grippy even over sandy dusty roads.
    I've put 150rmb of petrol in so far and clocked a little over 400km's, i've still got a third of a tank full. Not quite sure of the miles per gallon but that seems decent to me.
    It's very nippy aroud town with enough acceleration to get away from any cars at the lights.
    Very light bike. It feels nimble through the corners and you can really throw it around.
    Dual exhaust gives a deep aggressive sound. Sounds much bigger than a 250.
    Very little vibration. It was an area that i was concerned about before buying this bike, but i've been impressed so far. No rattles or shakes anywhere.

Cons:

Throttle isn't as responsive as it should be. Splutters for a split second before giving any feedback when downshifting.
    The engine gets very hot. Gives out a weird burning smell after semi-long runs. Splutters more when the engine is hot.
    It backfires all the time. Especially when coming off the throttle.
    Finding neutral and 1st gear is a real pain in the arse. I've had the mechanics tweak it 3 times already. It has also popped out of gear a few times leaving the engine racing.
    Rear brake isn't very sharp.
    I've already had pink cooling fluid pissing down the side of the engine. Need that sorting 2mora.
    The engine cover doesn't fit together very well. There are areas where the gap is a couple of mm's apart. Long term could cause problems.
    Cables rub on the frame.
    Engine seems to be screaming above 90kmph.

All in all i'm very happy with the bike so far. It's my first real motorbike and it really feels like a proper bike. Plenty of acceleration and more than enough power for a newbie. A few little niggles already which i'm hoping can be sorted out easily. I'll keep posting.

One thing you need to be prepared for is everyone asking about it. I've been asked if it's a BMW, and also a bloody Harley would you believe? It's already starting to grate on me after only a week. Having said that, the admiring glances from the ladies is always a bonus. Haha.

Went on a ride out to Sheshan today with my wife. Got a few nice pics.
    I'll post more pics of the bike over the coming weeks...

P1060513.jpg

P1060532.jpg
    P1060539.jpg

P1060524.jpg
    Attached Images

9. #39 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    P1060529.jpg

P1060512.jpg
    P1060517.jpg
    Attached Images

10. #40 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2N 
    Looks great dewsnap, thanks for all the pictures.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast