Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Hello from Ontario, CA 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all,
    I just got my new 2009 Konker KSM200 last week. Its my first supermoto and is quite a lot of fun. The most comfortable seating position I've had with a bike so far. I've been using it for getting to work and it is turning out to be a nice city commute bike. I hope to find out more about its abilities after the break in period.

2. #2 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    ShineySide,

Those are great bikes for the money. Smell around MCM for QingQi and Qlink equivalents of your bike and you'll find more than a couple discussions on shortcomings, mods and the like. Adding either bar risers or taller bars makes it even more comfortable.. also if you're going to be doing any night riding/commuting with it, and HID setup may be worth considering. Other than that, some folks like to change the gearing ratio so the engine doesn't work as hard at speed.

Other riding impressions so far? Got pics?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    C-Moto Noob
    Well, since its completely stock with no mods at all it looks just like the dealer pics: http://siriusmotosportsinc.com/images/KXP200.jpg for now anyway.
    I wasn't going to look at any modifications until after the break in just to give the bike a chance to stand on it's own. Since my commute is completely in the city (no highway) and during the daylight hours there's not much I need to change as far as the setup goes. I can see myself getting a rear sprocket with a few less teeth on it just to make the lower gears a bit more useful. I was really pleased to find out there were so many similar models out there so info on the bike is plentiful and parts are easy to get.

4. #4 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    C-Moto Noob
    I just got a ksm200 too and am near Brampton. Cool to see people on here from the same neck of the woods, seeing that this is the first thread I've read. I hope to have mine on the road tomorrow and be riding till the sun goes down. This is my first bike ever and can't wait to ride. Hopefully this website will teach me all I need to know about ridng and servicing this neat little ksm.

5. #5 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by konkfrantic View Post
    I just got a ksm200 too and am near Brampton. Cool to see people on here from the same neck of the woods, seeing that this is the first thread I've read. I hope to have mine on the road tomorrow and be riding till the sun goes down. This is my first bike ever and can't wait to ride. Hopefully this website will teach me all I need to know about ridng and servicing this neat little ksm.
    Dear Konkfrantic,

Welcome to the world's best chinabike forum. You'll find the technical info you are looking for, but a lot more too, as you've already discovered. (I always thought Ontario, CA, was in California...)

Jesus -- a motorcycling virgin and a virgin bike! Do think about what you are about to do to her, and be a bit gentle. She's not done this before either, and you'll need to be sure she's properly lubed and warmed up for the big push. You don't want ride her silly the first time you mount. You've got to break her in.

How do you do that? Here's a nice thread titled Engine Break-in - How did you do it?. The search function is your friend.

Please post up some pix of your bike ASAP, and let us know how your first ride goes.

cheers!
    Last edited by euphonius; 05-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    Quote Originally Posted by shinysideup View Post
    Well, since its completely stock with no mods at all it looks just like the dealer pics: http://siriusmotosportsinc.com/images/KXP200.jpg for now anyway.
    I wasn't going to look at any modifications until after the break in just to give the bike a chance to stand on it's own. Since my commute is completely in the city (no highway) and during the daylight hours there's not much I need to change as far as the setup goes. I can see myself getting a rear sprocket with a few less teeth on it just to make the lower gears a bit more useful. I was really pleased to find out there were so many similar models out there so info on the bike is plentiful and parts are easy to get.

"The file http://imagearchive.psndealer.com/de...ges/kxp200.jpg could not be found"

So you don't have the bike ?

7. #7 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey Euphonius,

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. My Konker ksm200 (Konkey, is it's name) isn't a virgin and came with 1491km on it already. As for me, I am a virgin rider except for riding a total of no more than 4km over the past 3 years on a buddies mini chopper (4 speed with clutch) up and down his street. I have a small support team of 2 riders who have been coaching me far before riding and as of today riding with me. With the added support from great people like yourself here on MCM, I am having a great start on my riding career!

First thing I did this morning was purchase a helmet, jacket and gloves! Insurance and mechanic called me while I was shopping. Got all the paperwork done after shopping and took a taxi to the mechanic to ride Konkey over to the insurance place for a pic 1km down the road. I rode 50km after, 25km each direction up a long stretch of low traffic 60km/h - 80km/h and three stops each way. I had a great time with moderate confindence and little skill on my maiden voyage.

Shortly after, my buddy finished work and I followed him home where he cleaned up and hopped on to his cbr1000rr. We went on a 50km cruise, with a break inbetween and called it a ride. Not too long after my other buddy(gsxr600) came home, and we also took a 50km cruise! Next thing you know, it starts to get dark and I called it a day because of begginner licence restrictions. Day 1 and 150km total, not too shabby.

It was a great day other than my mechanic happened to notice that my clutch will need to be done soon. I didn't feel any slipping, and it seemed to be fine, but what do I know? He's never seen one of these bikes and told me to start looking for parts. I'll see what I can find, and let you know if I have any problems.

Pics of bike and gear will be posted after a good cleaning.

Happy safe riding!

8. #8 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    You’re the first person I have heard needed a clutch replaced on one of those bikes at 1491km it is barely broken in. I would change the oil….that mechanic may be setting you up. The wrong oil in that bike can make your clutch slip.

All the part can be purchased online…http://www.konkermotors.com/street-bikes/ksm200.html

9. #9 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    Nice to see the Konker Motors site back up again. Last week it was down, and someone posted something here recently about how frustrated Konker buyers had formed a facebook group to organize their efforts. The last thing these chinabikes need is deadbeat dealers failing to support their customers.

I can't speak to the question of a failing clutch in a bike that's barely broken in, but I suppose it's not impossible -- especially if the previous owner abused it. Kronkfrantic, do you have any idea who rode those 1491 km, and under what kind of circumstances? Seems a bit of detective work could be useful right now.

Oh, and many thanks for your comprehensive introduction and the blow-by-blow about your first real day in the saddle. I'm still a relative newbie, with barely a year of riding under my belt, and a day doesn't pass when that I'm not juiced about getting a bike. What a great way to ring in the riding season after the long canadian winter.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Hello from Ontario, CA 
    Nice to see the Konker Motors site back up again. Last week it was down, and someone posted something here recently about how frustrated Konker buyers had formed a facebook group to organize their efforts. The last thing these chinabikes need is deadbeat dealers failing to support their customers.

I can't speak to the question of a failing clutch in a bike that's barely broken in, but I suppose it's not impossible -- especially if the previous owner abused it. Kronkfrantic, do you have any idea who rode those 1491 km, and under what kind of circumstances? Seems a bit of detective work could be useful right now.

Oh, and many thanks for your comprehensive introduction and the blow-by-blow about your first real day in the saddle. I'm still a relative newbie, with barely a year of riding under my belt, and a day doesn't pass when that I'm not juiced about getting a bike. What a great way to ring in the riding season after the long canadian winter.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast