Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Which bike to buy? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi , this is my first post. I`m a student in Jiangsu university and arrived in china 4 months ago. Already have my e-bike but want to sell it and buy a real bike.

The honda dealer here in Zhenjiang has only a 150RR bike (the strongest) and other puny models. It also sells the regal raptor 150g ... both are priced 12.000 rmb.
    Yamaha dealer suxxx ...

Which of those two bikes, should I consider to buy?
    I`m also thinking about buying a bike in nanjing and driving it here...

2. #2 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi Dan,
    You don't say much in your post about what kind of bike want. Normally that makes it impossible to answer your question. But now there's a new twist to the story of China motos.. Since March 1st (???) new bikes are required to meet C3 standard, the equivalent of Euro3 Emissions standard. Here's a list of bikes confirmed to be registrable in China. I suppose this should narrow down your choices.
    Do tell us more about where you want to ride, how big are you, your riding experience, ... and then some more so you can get better replies.

Cheers

3. #3 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    There's a Galaxy dealer in yizheng, just across the river from you. The Galaxy XTR250 is a cool bike, roughly same price as the ones you mentioned already. Unfortunately it can't be registered in china anymore because of the C3 rules that Slabo mentioned above. If you don't care about plates it's a good choice, seeing as you're so close to the dealer. If you wanna be legal then forget it...

4. #4 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Slabo and Felix, I really apreciate your replies.

Background on me: never had a bike but rode a few of them back in America.

Very tall, 6,3 , 185 pounds.

Like high rev bikes and sporty bikes but don`t want to spend much.

Need to get an easy to ride for now to gather experience, my driving skills are bad.

Will check the bike and read the list. Here in Zhenjiang police has been aprehending a lot of bikes from foreign students... registration and license are a must.

5. #5 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey Dan, I would ask that you slow down for moment. You are a student at Uni, presumably on a student X visa, which means that you can't get a drivers license and while you could buy a vehicle you cannot legally license it in your name on a X visa. You will need to sort out the visa issue first, secondly you will need to sort out your driver license, and if you don't have a legal drivers license for whatever category/class you want to be able to ride/drive here, then unfortunately your choices just became even more limited. To be legal you'll need to go do a drivers/riders licensing course. Don't get sucked into some fake license BS, you'll likely get yourself into a power of shiet! That being said, you admit that you've never owned a motorcycle, and only ridden a few in America and moreover are not a very good rider. Well that rings a few alarm bells... here is not there, and since you've been riding an ebike you'll already have an appreciation of just how chaotic the users on the road are. I'm sure you are intending to complete your academic studies and not return to America in less of an able-bodied manner than whence you left.
    Even you can get you student visa limitations vs vs drivers license sorted, I'd suggest you think twice about anything on two wheels with an engine, maybe go for a easy as you please 50cc scooter as a starter. It will be a lot less trouble, and cause you even less in so many ways. Don't mean to patronise, but you are limited as a student. I had an American friend here who didn't have a license and bought a 50cc 2 stroke which he rode everywhere - he luved riding that thing. He rode the bike with no plate and no drivers license (not something I recommend), he though never had any trouble however things have tightened here a lot since then.
    One rule of thumb TIC, anything and everything is possible.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-20-2011 at 02:33 AM.

6. #6 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Hey Dan, I would ask that you slow down for moment. You are a student at Uni, presumably on a student X visa, which means that you can't get a drivers license and while you could buy a vehicle you cannot legally license it in your name on a X visa. You will need to sort out the visa issue first, secondly you will need to sort out your driver license, and if you don't have a legal drivers license for whatever category/class you want to be able to ride/drive here, then you unfortunately your choices just got even more limited. To be legal you'll need to go do a drivers/riders licensing course. Don't get sucked into some fake license BS, you'll likely get yourself into a power of shiet! That being said, you admit that you've never owned a motorcycle, and only ridden a few in America. Well that rings a few alarm bells... here is not there, and since you've been riding an ebike you'll already have an appreciation of just how chaotic the users on the road are.
    Even you can get you student visa limitations vs vs drivers license sorted, I'd suggest you think twice about anything on two wheels with an engine, maybe go for a easy as you please 50cc scooter. It will be a lot less trouble, and cause you even less in so many ways. Don't mean to patronise, but you are limited as a student.
    Bikerdoc, I am looking for 3+ years in china to finish my master and further studies.
    I`m happy you like the 50cc scooter but personally, with 1,94 meters, the need for a social life and maintance of manliness , I prefer the dignity of walking.
    I will look for other alternatives where I can get a drivers license as a student.
    If anyone knows a way please let me know.
    This information is very disturbing. A tourist can rent a car here and a student can`t have a d.l for a bike? Come on...
    About the ownership, I could transfer to a chinese friend no prob.

7. #7 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Dan,

What kind of visa are you on, and do you have a visa/residence permit with duration of more than three months? You should investigate the specifics of your case, but I've known students with legal licenses. Go check with the local Vehicle Management Bureau, and don't even say you are a student. Just enroll in the motorcycle licensing process and get started.

Once you are licensed, the next step will be to sort out a bike and registration.

This is China, where, to paraphrase Texas Aggie, Everything that should be hard is easy and everything that should be easy is hard.

Good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Which bike to buy? 
    EN150-A? http://www.haojue.com/products/produ...=1305863356031 Great fuel economy & 2 yr warranty