Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    A new bike on order means one has to leave ... house rules.

I've decided to part with my BMW-powered CJ750. This is one of jimbo's creations, and aside from his incredible craftsmanship, this bike comes with the extra love & attention he did for a friend!

I've owned the bike for many years, mostly when it was a 24 HP CJ, and it is/was legally plated in my name (black Jing A - #713), and I still have the papers. It is a 97 registration (so it has expired). It would be an easy export / import.

I used it up in the very north of China when it was a 24 HP and after shipping it back to Beijing last year, Jim took it apart and completely rebuilt it in his meticulous way, powering it with a BMW 750 cc engine.

It starts effortlessly & purrs all day, without a hiccup (let's hear anyone say THAT about a 24HP).

Black with red pinstriping, bucket has leather upholstery, including side panels. Several extra goodies like fuel tank lining, Harley leather seat, etc.

I have used this bike VERY little - there are about 1200 kms on it. I've just got too many bikes, including another sidecar, my garage is crowded, my lovely sweety is questioning my sanity, and I've just ordered a new bike (something completely different).

The bike is sitting at Jim's, and he can vouch for it, but I will attach some pics.
    Richard bike rt side.jpgRichard bike left rear.jpgRichard bike rt frt.jpg
    Price is 45,000 (FIRM), which is a 25% discount off new, and this bike is essentially brand new. Completion date was around August 2010. Been stored indoors at Jim's shop over winter.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 03-27-2011 at 10:19 AM.

2. #2 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Gratulations for the new Harley! Just heard the news from Jim! Sabine

3. #3 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Thanks Sabine - I bought the baby Harley (Sportster), cuz I think it is best suited for the twisty mountain roads, and it is narrow to squeeze between buses and guard-rails. And my sweety can get both feet on the ground, and now that she has her MC license, well ... I hope to teach her how to ride it.

4. #4 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Very nice bike and car.
    That seat is sprung like the one on mt Dong Fang bobber. I wonder if just the seat pan and cover is available in China?

Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #5 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Tx for the compliment. I think Jim has these seat pans & leather covers custom-made somewhere around Beijing, and I think he's had a few leather-tooled with names, graphics, etc.

He can be contacted by email through his website www.bmwsidecar.com He ships bikes & parts all over the world.

By the way, Jim was just at Daytona 2011 bike week, where his bikes took 1st & 2nd place in the sidecar show. And mine is better!

Oh yeah, I forgot, mine also has the custom-fabricated M5 alloy wheels - another Jimbo exclusive.

6. #6 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Seats at Jim's site are very nice. Thanks for the tip.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #7 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi R.
    Congrats on the HD sportster purchase! Which model have you bought? I was at the auto show in Ningbo at the exhibition centre this past Friday with some m/c mates, one of whom owns a low mileage 2008/9 883 sporty bought from the Shanghai HD shop. At the auto (car) show Wenzhou HD had a great display with one of every model of HD available in China on show. Included was a display of accessories along with clothing racks, with the usual HD attire available for purchase.

Surprised to see that the prices have increased 10-15% on 2008/9 prices. I kick myself for not buying a 1200 sportster while they were available then, as HD no longer brings the 1200 in. Shame that only HD were represented at the show.

I concur that the sportster is quite an attractive option for China, not as expensive as other foreign m/c brands, fairly simple, light enough considering, small & therefore reasonably nimble, and a little agricultural which tends to fit in with the landscape, but it's a little too low slung in my opinion and the seat is hard on the long rides us lot tend to do, not to mention nothing of the small tank! I was surprised when one of the German guys with us commented that the prices of the HD's on display were about on par with those in Germany. :shocker:

8. #8 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    PS. Any updates on the two beemers?

9. #9 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    PS. Any updates on the two beemers?
    Hey there! Beemer #1 is still in hiding, until domestic issues are resolved; Beemer #2 is still packed away until hubby returns (April). I've first dibs on each, but buying either would create my own domestic dispute & I'd have to go into hiding. As it is, it kills me to sell this CJ/BMW, but I see my sweety's perspective (she's tiny, but she has a way of making a convincing argument). But first dibs on the Beemers will allow me to pass timely info on to you as it becomes available.

By the way, a friend in Beijing wants to buy a LEGAL sporty 883L (any reg except Shanghai, as that A plate is way too much money & the bike would be brought to Beijing, forfeiting the SH plate), so if your buddy wants to sell, get him to contact me. Thanks.

I bought the 883SL (Super Low - replacement for the L - Low). Same seat height, but larger tank and a few other changes. I almost bought an Ultra (the other end of the spectrum) for puttering around from Starbucks <-> Starbucks, but Harley wouldn't give me my entitled H.O.G. discount (grrrr) and sweety kinda freaked over the idea of learning how to drive a truck.

This will be my 19th Harley, a list that includes two 1200 sportsters - IMHO, hands down, the best bike Harley has ever made! Unlike my original AMF 1976 Liberty Edition, which was probably the WORST bike Harley has ever made.

Stay tuned, as I usually only keep bikes a short time until something shinier appears (but I've become quite a JH600 fan). It is easy to put a 1200 conversion kit on the 883. But, this old guy just putters now - don't need/want the power - so I won't do the conversion.

10. #10 Re: BMW-powered CJ for sale 
    ^excellent... thanks for the update. Fingers crossed and waiting for events to unfold. I saw the 883SL at the show I meantioned above, and noted the wider tank, which suited it more. Just to add, my mate is not looking to offload his 883 sporty at this stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast