Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: How cars see us

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: How cars see us 
    C-Moto Guru
    Thanks Euphonius. When I took my moto safety course in BC a couple of years ago, we all had to wear those vests. They improve visibility in a huge way, especially at night. I suppose they might mar the looks a little but it's not like I was going for cool in the first place.

At the time I took my safety course I had been riding for about 8 months in China. My instructors commented on how I slowed down at intersections ("just keep going, you're annoying the traffic behind you"). I guess my Chinese driving skills, learned the hard way, are a little more ingrained than I'd like them to be.

2. #22 Re: How cars see us 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Thanks Euphonius. When I took my moto safety course in BC a couple of years ago, we all had to wear those vests. They improve visibility in a huge way, especially at night. I suppose they might mar the looks a little but it's not like I was going for cool in the first place.

At the time I took my safety course I had been riding for about 8 months in China. My instructors commented on how I slowed down at intersections ("just keep going, you're annoying the traffic behind you"). I guess my Chinese driving skills, learned the hard way, are a little more ingrained than I'd like them to be.
    It occurs to me now I should be wearing this vest even when bicycling at night. If the "police" patch bothers anyone, I've proposed a modification over in the MCM patch thread.

Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 10.08.11 AM.jpg
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: How cars see us 
    Nuhaus,
    " My instructors commented on how I slowed down at intersections ("just keep going, you're annoying the traffic behind you"). "
    Very funny comment. As a long time motorcyclist I do the same slow down and look thing in my truck.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #24 Re: How cars see us 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

I was considering that for a long time, and will definitely pick up one. I imagine the yellow vest + the police sign cannot hurt, especially if it means people around you slow down and keep a safe distance from your bike.
    As others said, I could care less about the look if it means I get to ride again the next day...

5. #25 Re: How cars see us 
    C-Moto Senior
    They Don't...

6. #26 Re: How cars see us 
    That reminds me of when I bought a high viz mesh jacket and one of my Harley riding buddies asked if you could get that jacket in black. When I continued to wear my helmet after Florida went no helmet required, another Harley buddy asked me if I had health insurance.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #27 Re: How cars see us 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ...police sign cannot hurt, especially if it means people around you slow down and keep a safe distance from your bike...
    It hurts, pigs had rights put u in 15 days detention !!! http://news.sina.com.cn/s/p/2010-12-...21681970.shtml

8. #28 Re: How cars see us 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    It hurts, pigs had rights put u in 15 days detention !!! http://news.sina.com.cn/s/p/2010-12-...21681970.shtml

Oooh so it's not allowed and only tolerated for now when it comes to foreigners, good to know... I'll check if I can find some without the "Police" sign, should be easy enough.

Reminds me of something when you wrote "pigs" : I went to a concert on Saturday evening to see the Inner Mongolian band Hang Gai. After waiting for more than 1 hour and the crowd getting impatient, finally a spokesman of the Mao Livehouse came and said that they have to cancel the concert because of "problems with authorities". A Chinese guy then shouted "police are pigs ! " in Chinese, and was cheered of course. Seems the cops canceled the authorization just at the last possible moment, but I don't know if it's the real story...

9. #29 Re: How cars see us 
    I love that police vest. I am one of those that got a HD vest. Couldn't find any of the ones you had euphonius. Your green vest would go perfect with my police bullet proof vest, thigh bag, and police helmet. In fact, guess what I dressed up as for this past halloween? =)

10. #30 Re: How cars see us 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    On a note about vehicles, I saw a hummer the other day. I noted that the driver was extremely aggressive, in short he'd bought it specifically to bully the rest of the traffic with. Only allowed one child in China, but you are allowed a hummer? Seems kinda odd to me!
    This hummer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast