Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: How cars see us

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: How cars see us 
    As some of you may know I'm heading out on a big trip in August when I will have only 1 months driving experience. I need to give myself a bit of defensive training and try to give myself experience in different situations to substitute sheer time experience. Does anyone know or have some good vid's that I can download on this topic. I would like to get a series like crash course from the beginning of the thread but I can't find it to dl.

2. #32 Re: How cars see us 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear CC,

Start with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, which has lots of downloads available. YouTube also has lots of good training vids, some of them sourced to MSF, but you'll need a robust veepeeyen to make that fly. Slabo has made some recommendations in the past, so you might find those via search, or Slabo can lead you in the right direction.

Best thing is to get out and ride, and see what China hurls your way.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #33 Re: How cars DON'T see us 
    Fixed the title.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #34 Re: How cars DON'T see us 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    thanks barnone, you can't be more right on this one.

clegg, +1 what Euphonis said. I'm a freak about these things.. Somehow I can't find my moto related bookmarks here's a link>> http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx
    Also, Euphonis posted links to two free books on motorcycle safety,(the msf manual, and some European safety manual, Danish?) free to download an print .. I did, they're somewhere on my shelves but ashamed to say I never read them ..

Also, go over to http://www.advrider.com/forums/ sometimes I just go through their face plant section(crash reports) .. It takes alof of courage posting about your crash.

Notice how better riders usually have a very accurate description of how they crashed. Somehow they describe the last few seconds of their crash in minute details, as opposed to the newb's description "all i remember was waking up in the tree". Somehow, time slows down for them and they are conscious every moment, trying their best to handle the situation properly.

Also have a look here.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563090

5. #35 Re: How cars DON'T see us 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Excellent link & worthy of the time to read through all the pages.

The one recommendation that really hit home for me is:

1) Learn how to ride in the dirt (REAL off-road, not fire access roads)

Personally, I am woefully inadequate in that area. Despite having countless road miles on freeways, interstates, boulevards, unsealed roads, etc., I am a complete beginner through the bush. The skills you learn riding in the dirt FAR exceed what you learn on the road, and you can migrate those superior bike-handling skills onto the road ... but few road skills migrate to the bush.

I recently watched a TV program on CCTV5 about a motocross school/camp for 10-14 year old kids - it was obvious that those youngins had skills far beyond my own. Put my ego in check!

IMHO, a lot of Chinese roads have sections of off-road riding, or obstacles that compare to dirt riding. Chinese roads are not like the well-maintained roads in the West.

Yeah - learn dirt riding.

6. #36 Re: How cars DON'T see us 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Excellent link & worthy of the time to read through all the pages.

The one recommendation that really hit home for me is:

1) Learn how to ride in the dirt (REAL off-road, not fire access roads)

Personally, I am woefully inadequate in that area. Despite having countless road miles on freeways, interstates, boulevards, unsealed roads, etc., I am a complete beginner through the bush. The skills you learn riding in the dirt FAR exceed what you learn on the road, and you can migrate those superior bike-handling skills onto the road ... but few road skills migrate to the bush.

I recently watched a TV program on CCTV5 about a motocross school/camp for 10-14 year old kids - it was obvious that those youngins had skills far beyond my own. Put my ego in check!

IMHO, a lot of Chinese roads have sections of off-road riding, or obstacles that compare to dirt riding. Chinese roads are not like the well-maintained roads in the West.

Yeah - learn dirt riding.
    Errr, so could I have a go on my underpowered 200cc 150kg machine?
    Yes true, learn to ride dirt.. But for this ride, you definitely need full armor. You will fall, and I will be painful. Not that I've tried it, but so I read. But seriously, wish I had the bike for the sport.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234