Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    A very nice looking bike, thanks of the pics. Good classical looks.

2. #12 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    Wow nice specimen Weel! That's the first time i see a front disc setup with TWO calipers! Nice. Did you have only one at first or go straight for the double? I've the same setup on mine but with only one caliper. It does beat the drum brake but doesn't blow me away...

3. #13 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    C-Moto Regular
    Why do so many foreigners in Shanghai (or even China in general) have these?

4. #14 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    Bit of a loaded question there. The CJ is a "love it or hate it" bike. We all know that technologically they're dinosaurs, but it's fun to ride a piece of history around. Some people like classic bikes, some think they're pointless. Some people like chrome, some like rust. For me i just think it's a fun bike to ride, i keep mine dirty and shitty so i don't mind thrashing down a dirt road or scraping the walls in a narrow lane. Say what you will about the CJ, i doubt that in 70 years the Shineray GY7 will have as big a fan club.

Oh and one last thing: fuckin Party Bike! whether you're bringing 10 people back from the bar or carrying 4 with camping gear, bbq and booze for a weekend in the mountains, the CJ's game!

5. #15 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    I think they're great. Weel said he spends as much time fixing his as he does riding it but i'm sure that's all part of the 'CJ' experience. I'd defo get one if i could get it plated in Shanghai.

Went out with Weel again today to break in my new bike. Weel and his friend were both on CJ's and i was on the Raptor DD250G-2N. My wife didn't trust my newbie skills so she jumped in Weel's sidecar. Loads of fun had by all.

A few more pics.

P1060507.jpg

P1060508.jpg

P1060509.jpg

6. #16 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Bit of a loaded question there. The CJ is a "love it or hate it" bike. We all know that technologically they're dinosaurs, but it's fun to ride a piece of history around. Some people like classic bikes, some think they're pointless. Some people like chrome, some like rust. For me i just think it's a fun bike to ride, i keep mine dirty and shitty so i don't mind thrashing down a dirt road or scraping the walls in a narrow lane. Say what you will about the CJ, i doubt that in 70 years the Shineray GY7 will have as big a fan club.

Oh and one last thing: fuckin Party Bike! whether you're bringing 10 people back from the bar or carrying 4 with camping gear, bbq and booze for a weekend in the mountains, the CJ's game!

Haha hey now! Don't hate on my baby. No I totally understand, but it just seems like it has none of the advantages of being a motorcycle (you get stuck in shitty Shanghai traffic) and all of the hassles (getting it legal to ride in Shanghai). But I can totally understand the charm of it. Didn't know that you had one, too. Might have to check it out when I'm back.

Is there a club for all you guys? You should organize big group rides, that would be pretty exciting. There's a super platinum blonde guy who always rips the wrong way up my street (Wu Yuan Lu Yong fu Lu, near Shelter) on one of 'em.

7. #17 Re: A sunny Shanghai afternoon on a CJ 750 
    Welcome over anytime mate! Or you can see my CJ here. You know, i used to completely not understand the point of sidecars either. Same as you, i thought they have all the disadvantages of cars and bikes combined. After owning one for 4 years though i totally get it now. You can use it to haul shit around such as friends, boats, bikes, furniture, you'll even get stuff onto it that won't fit in a car (i once went to buy a couch with it); and the whole time you still get to be riding a motorbike with the wind in your face instead of being stuck in a box. Yes, being stuck in traffic sucks, but until i moved to shanghai that wasn't really an issue. Add to that the unparalleled comfort level for your darling passenger, after 10 hours of riding when you pull into a hotel for the night you will immediately notice the difference!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12