Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 street legal bike 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everybody,
    i've found a good bike for sale, a 1098s for 100,000 rmb, however it is sold whithout plate. how am i supposed to make it street legal? i would like to use it to travel between zhuhai zhongshan and shenzhen but everybody i've talk with has it's own opinion, some says possible, some says impossible...
    does someone did it before or know if it's possible to do so?
    thanks

2. #2 Re: street legal bike 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear ultime,

Welcome to MCM. Why not just check with Ducati? Tell them the VIN number and they should be able to tell the provenance (and perhaps the legality) of this bike.

I'd be very wary.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: street legal bike 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Euphonius.

I think this bike has been imported via grey or black market, is there any way to legalize it?

4. #4 Re: street legal bike 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear ultime,

I'm not trying to be glib. If it's grey or black, you'll have huge problems making it legal, unless you have friends in the system who aren't afraid to take bribes, which carries risks for the giver as well as the taker. How do you know it's not stolen? Very funky karma buying a hot bike.

A hundred K is a lot of money to gamble on something of such murky provenance. There are still plenty of loopholes, but China is becoming more and more serious about motor vehicle compliance. Read through the various threads in this forum, and you'll see some real horror stories involving perfectly legal bikes as well as dodgy ones. In my humble opinion, it's not worth the risk.

Also, with China now enforcing the China3 emission standard, which apparently is equivalent to or tougher than Euro3, there are not many bikes that pass environmental muster right now. It's a transition year. ChinaV has reported that there are really only three or four bikes that can be legally smogged right now. Unless it's among the models that Ducati legally imports, there's zero chance this 1098S is on the approvable list.

So it's a weird time for getting a bike in China -- only a handful that are registrable, though that may change in the second half as more firms come into compliance. Take your time, and get the right bike.

Final word: Gorgeous as that bike is, I can think of about fifty reasons why it's wrong for China, especially in Shenzhen where bikes in general are banned. Too much bike in bike-hostile territory. Too much horsepower in a land of retarded drivers. I could go on.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: street legal bike 
    Not that I know any better but where would you use the performance of a 1098s Ducati in China or for that matter any where else outside of a race track?

It would look nice sitting in your living room.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

6. #6 Re: street legal bike 
    C-Moto Noob
    alright, i see, this is the same problem i faced while living in thailand, a cheap plateless bike or an expensive legal bike, and at that time i did the the expensive legal deal, for insurance reasons but also because i'm not in my own country, so i better be legal at all time, then i will do the same in China.

another question, I saw many legal bikes for sale from jiangsu, can i buy a bike there and drive it in guandong? because since two years i'm here i never see a legal big bike for sale...

And for the ducati choice, i'm not into that brand at all, i prefer v4 or 4 in line (coming rvf1k, cbr1k or zx-10r) than 2 in L but when i saw that 1098s in the shop i just stopped walk and...wouaa...that's a great looking bike and as i'm looking for a both street and track bike i just thought, why not at this price?...

7. #7 Re: street legal bike 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ultime View Post
    another question, I saw many legal bikes for sale from jiangsu, can i buy a bike there and drive it in guandong?
    I'd be very careful about "legal" plates/registration from Jiangsu.

Up in Beijing, it used to be that fake plates/regs were coming from Hebei (the province that surrounds Beijing). Then everyone got to know that 99% of the Hebei plates were fake (nobody was being fooled). Unfortunately, I am one of the 1% of riders with a genuine Hebei plate (on my JH600B), but everyone assumes I am riding a fake plate bike.

Because Hebei plates have fallen out of favour, the fake plates which are now increasingly being used/offered in Beijing are Jiangsu plates - we are seeing more and more of them on the big bikes being ridden around Beijing.

ChinaV is the GZ/GD expert, so hopefully he'll chime in soon.

8. #8 Re: street legal bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by ultime View Post
    i would like to use it to travel between zhuhai zhongshan and shenzhen
    Even if you could, which you can't...what a horrible place to ride a motorcycle.

Go to Jiangmen, apply for a temporary residence permit, buy a JH600 or a YBR250, and go have fun riding it very far from zhuhai, zhongshan and shenzhen.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: street legal bike 
    C-Moto Noob
    ChinaV,

I own a business in zhongshan, i go often to zhuhai and da mei sha, however I have nothing to do nor any plan to go to jiangmen, so why would I buy and ride a bike over there??

I don't know about these two bikes you specified in your post but I don't think these are track bike, are they?

Anyway thanks for your help.

10. #10 Re: street legal bike 
    I said Jiangmen because that is probably the last possible place in southern Guangdong where you can get a legal bike and registration. The other cities you mentioned (and pretty much every other place in the pearl river delta) is in the process of banning motorcycles. The two bikes I specified are what's left of the over 200cc crowd that you can legally register in Guangdong. The consequences of buying anything else have already been stated on this site enough... plenty of options if you like risk.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast