Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Fahni and Michemouche,

Welcome both of you to the forum. As noted in these threads in recent months, China's vast motorcycle industry basically has been scrambling for the past year to bring its various models into compliance with the China3 standards, which were imposed in the manner you'd expect in an authoritarian country -- in one fell swoop, and with no mercy. Why it's taking so long for the 250cc and up bikes to come into compliance is anyone's guess, but odds are good that this is a relatively low priority, given the continuing popularity of smaller displacement bikes both in China and around the world. Bikes in the 400cc and above class are an even lower priority, since China's major players have been playing the OEM game in recent years and have little branded skin in the game internationally, while those bigger bikes are still not very popular here inside China.

But they can't just drop these bikes because of the stricter emissions standards, so it's a safe bet that most if not all of these bikes -- the Shinerays, Qingqis, Galaxies, CFMotos and the rest -- will eventually roll out their China3 updates. Just don't be holding your breath.

I'm still curious whether an existing pre-China3 bike can be transfered. Logic would dictate that they are viable, and transferrable, through the mandatory junking date listed on the registration. In other words, there should be China2 bikes out there to buy, if you don't want to wait for the new China3 bikes.

The Jialing JH600 is compliant today, and has been since the middle of last year. But it's always had EFI so the transition required less engineering.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #32 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    my Chinese is worse, but I'm looking forward to hear the news

3. #33 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    Hi to all of you!

I understand that engines with carb can not be re-engineered into EFI ones overnight but the industry should have seen new developments coming and be prepared, don't you think? Then on the other hand if you consider the newest enforcements of the restrictions on ebikes, changes in regulations and enforcement really happen very quick...

Anyway, as LJH has pointed out to me in a PM (thanks), EICMA is coming up and will be a perfect opportunity to talk to manufacturers and other bike fanatics about the current situation, new engine designs in the pipeline and potential rollout dates.

Euphonius, if I understand you correctly, you are also not 100% sure the registration of a 2nd hand C2 bike can be transferred to a new owner? That would have been my plan B but now I am unsure of what to do. Not sure if my Chinese is good enough to get some relaible info from some official source...

Let's see, what news this thread and EICMA will bring...

4. #34 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    ...Euphonius, if I understand you correctly, you are also not 100% sure the registration of a 2nd hand C2 bike can be transferred to a new owner? That would have been my plan B but now I am unsure of what to do. Not sure if my Chinese is good enough to get some relaible info from some official source...
    Dear Fahni,

I did not by any means intend to cast doubt on the idea of transferring ownership/registration of an existing and legal China2-compliant bike, but I just haven't heard of a specific case of this being done. My sense is that there is no reason why it would not be allowed, since those bikes have a legal document allowing them to be used in China until their mandatory scrapping date (强制报废期止). I'd just like to see some actual evidence in the wild!

Has anyone in this forum successfully transfered a pre-China3 bike to another owner since the China3 emission regulations came into effect?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #35 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    Been to the EICMA motor show on Sat. Not much news on C3 bikes. Most bikes from chinese manufacturers on display were either <150 or for export so definetly not C3 compliant. The only exception was Qinqi who had a QM200GY on display which is oil-cooled with EDI. They said they are awaiting government approval and C3 sticker by the end of this month. All other manufacturers said their C3 bikes would be ready no sooner than end of this year.

6. #36 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    hey fahni, I was also on the EICMA, quite dissapointing, no long march and the only answeers were "i don't know". Do you mean the white Qingqi that was standing separetly? It was the only bike that interested me, I sat on it and it felt good even thought I'm almost 2m tall. They told me the price is 13k but they had no information about C3 and if I can register it in BJ. They said somethin like they sell only bikes smaller than 150 localy.

7. #37 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    Quote Originally Posted by filipu View Post
    hey fahni, I was also on the EICMA, quite dissapointing, no long march and the only answeers were "i don't know". Do you mean the white Qingqi that was standing separetly? It was the only bike that interested me, I sat on it and it felt good even thought I'm almost 2m tall. They told me the price is 13k but they had no information about C3 and if I can register it in BJ. They said somethin like they sell only bikes smaller than 150 localy.
    Yep, the white one. Price is 13K. No C3 sticker on the bike but definetly has EDI so should get the approval soon. Felt ok.
    I will go for a 2nd hand bike though. I am a new rider and will use a cheap 2nd hand 150cc to get some practice, then see what models come out during winter, make up my mind and then get exactly what I want.

8. #38 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Has anyone in this forum successfully transfered a pre-China3 bike to another owner since the China3 emission regulations came into effect?
    It is not a problem to transfer ownership/registration of a pre-China3 bike, as long as that bike was legally registered and its inspections are up-to-date (typical stuff). The original 11 year schedule remains intact.

The issue is new bikes attempting to get the initial 11 year registration - those bikes now require China3.

I was also at EICMA last weekend with some MCM members and there was general concurrence that it was less-than-expected, and not as good as last year's. Interestingly, the official exhibitor list itemized several major bike & parts manufacturers who were not there. I read some gossip over on another forum that something "unpleasant" happened in the lead-up to the show, and several exhibitors pulled out. It only had one of the three halls open, despite the other two obviously being prepped for displays.

Nevertheless, ANY bike show is better than no bike show, IMHO. There were a few interesting items that I'll try to get organized into a separate thread. What caught my eye, as an owner of both the 2 wheeled and 3 wheeled versions, was the brand new JH600 model. More to come when I get my pics organized.

9. #39 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    Are these C3 restrictions for motorcycles through out the whole of China ?

10. #40 Re: Legal bikes discovered post-C3 emissions rules 
    I try to contact Qingqi about C3. By the way. Does it look too small? YEs it does, damm
    Attached Images

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast