Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Lost documents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lost documents 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    sorry, didnt know where to put this thread.

Any how, i have lost my driving license (not taken by police just misplaced after a few drinks)

I contacted the person who sorted it out for me originally, but it will cost best part of 3,000 rmb to get a replacement, im currently driving round on an illegal bike and the only thing i had that was legal was the license ,,,, so i would like to get that back .

How do i go about getting a lost license replaced? any ideas?
    thanks. (oh and guys, the weather is getting lovely again so very soon it will be time to rev up your engines and hit the drive and camp road

cheers
    mk

2. #2 Re: Lost documents 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Where did you apply for the license that was lost? Just go back to that place, and see if they'll replace it. Your records should be in the system. I'm only assuming that they can issue a replacement, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made you take the test again. I hope it works.

If you are no longer in that city or it's not convenient to go there, you probably have to start from scratch.

Who the f*ck is trying to charge you 3k for a replacement?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Lost documents 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    When you first got your license, did you take the test, medical, etc? Or was it just through someone that you paid a lot of money to, and your license showed up thereafter?

A replacement license takes 24 - 48 hours, and costs less than 100 rmb. You just need to go to the Traffic Management Bureau where you took the test. Very easy to get it done ... if you have a REAL license.

If you just paid a guy a lot of money to get a license, I think you are back at square one - I think you may have originally bought a backdoor license.

Lots of legit places in Beijing hold your hand through the entire process for a fee of around 800 rmb, and you get a REAL driving license.

Good luck.

4. #4 Re: Lost documents 
    oh, ok cheers guys.
    My license is on their system (apparently) but yeah i paid a company to sort it out for me. its a company from Guangzhou. and its this company that is quoting almost 3000 for a replacement.

I guess all i can do is go to the traffic police station where i am and ask them what can be done. >>>

i am now in Fu'an in Fujian.
    It would be a shame to have wasted that initial investment, but at the same time there is no point throwing good money after bad.
    cheers guys.
    MK

5. #5 Re: Lost documents 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    If your license is legit, and in their system, it is no problem to have it replaced as long as you have the new residence registration for your Fujian location. I just checked the online "rules & regulations" for Beijing, and this city charges 20 rmb for a replacement and/or residence change. 24 hour turnaround (Beijing).

The GZ company probably sees you as a foreigner with deep pockets.

PS: There may be a wrinkle, inasmuch as I just asked someone who did it and they said you need some GZ paperwork (I'm not sure what that means)

6. #6 Re: Lost documents 
    AGH thank you, you are a star :-)

with any luck I can claim the paper work has been lost in a move, or something.

Fantastic, if i can do it my self for 20rmb or something, that would be fantastic. even better if i could get it issued in my current city.
    thank you very much Lao Jia Hou.

i will find the website that you can check fines and things like that and see if i can dig up the paper work on my license
    Lao Jia Hou if we ever meet on a ride i will get you a drink or two (once we have pulled over for the night of course)

7. #7 Re: Lost documents 
    You will need to go to the exact place where the license from the GZ company was issued. Although the procedure used by the GZ company is not 100% legit, the license is. Hopefully, you have a copy of the old license, without it, you probably won't get far, as this is how the GZ company makes its money.

FYI for you BJ'ers and SH'ers... many people need companies like the GZ one to achieve a C1E or C1D license. It's nice that those big fancy cities have rules and procedures, but the vast majority of the cities in China do not issue C1E or C1D licenses to foreigners any more.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Lost documents 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    You will need to go to the exact place where the license from the GZ company was issued. Although the procedure used by the GZ company is not 100% legit, the license is. Hopefully, you have a copy of the old license, without it, you probably won't get far, as this is how the GZ company makes its money.

FYI for you BJ'ers and SH'ers... many people need companies like the GZ one to achieve a C1E or C1D license. It's nice that those big fancy cities have rules and procedures, but the vast majority of the cities in China do not issue C1E or C1D licenses to foreigners any more.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    ohh, crap hahaha. I have copied of the license but dont have a clue which office they used. it would probably cost more then 3,000 to go down there, stay in a hotel, find the place they used and pay the fee's ect ect :-( damn. looks like a catch 22

9. #9 Re: Lost documents 
    Quote Originally Posted by lightend View Post
    ohh, crap hahaha. I have copied of the license but dont have a clue which office they used. it would probably cost more then 3,000 to go down there, stay in a hotel, find the place they used and pay the fee's ect ect :-( damn. looks like a catch 22
    hold on, my license has my unique id no. what s yours on it? some 黄牛 huangniu they charge less, if u can just find the right people.

edit:
    forget the id no. I check on internet mine doesn't show where it's issued.
    At bottom left of main license card, there should be a square red stamp, like mine is "广东省深圳市..." that is where is issued. I lost mine once and pay someone to run for me, only cost 200 rmb as 本地驾照. To the place you are living, yours is "外地驾照", someone has to be that issued city (which in this case could cost a little more) renew the license from traffic police bureau there.
    Last edited by td_ref; 03-31-2011 at 05:43 AM.

10. #10 Re: Lost documents 
    Quote Originally Posted by lightend View Post
    ohh, crap hahaha. I have copied of the license but dont have a clue which office they used...
    Law: http://www.mps.gov.cn/n16/n1282/n349...07/453922.html #41 is what u need ... " 可以委托代理人" ...
    1. Draw the charcters inside red stamp at nciku.cn . Once written out in computer , u know which "city".
    2. Find someone willing to help you in that issued city. Biker forum regional section are great things http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/index.htm (If that GZ agent sold u a FAKE one , u are scrwed ie NOT in the system!!!)
    3 When gotten the "new" DL, "move" (Chinese term "转籍") it to ur current city
    Last edited by humanbeing; 03-31-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast