Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Short Rides Around Shanghai? 
    Hi Folks,

I'm looking to take a ride this tuesday with another Regal Raptor owner. First, anyone know where to ride that is close to or within Shanghai? (Chongming Island?)

Second, anyone want to join? Fred? Milton? Euphonius?

2. #2 Re: Short Rides Around Shanghai? 
    I know Weel is heading out to Chongming Island over the holiday. Perhaps send him a PM as he knows some pretty decent rides around Shanghai.
    Is that Raptor owner your friend Lorenzo? He still hasn't signed on yet, he really should be sharing pics of his beautiful Raptor. Haha.

The MinHang disrtrict leads out to some nice countryside, and you're well out of the way of the busy downtown areas, wide, clear roads, lots of greenery etc.
    Have fun...

3. #3 Re: Short Rides Around Shanghai? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Chongming Island is a nice place to ride -- flat as a pancake but expansive and less chaotic than Shanghai proper -- bit it takes some work to get there. Ryanjpyle and I tried to get their by bridge and tunnel, and would have made it had we not heeded the road maintenance truck that chased us through the tunnel between Pudong and Changxing Island. I'd love to try again this spring...

The standard way to get there is by ferry, which takes a couple hours in each direction across the Yangtze.

good riding!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Short Rides Around Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I can recommend a few rides on the 'mainland' part of Shanghai province. The Hu-Qing-Ping highway is one of the best for riding, out past the Qingpu area. Lots of lakes, greenery, etc. Newly paved road, flat, not much traffic, good speeds. The other side of Dianshan Lake is also excellent. Songjiang is another possibility. If you go west of the town center you can connect to a road that parallels a long river / canal which eventually connects with Zhejiang province.

5. #5 Re: Short Rides Around Shanghai? 
    Hey Ed, cannot make it tomorrow unfortunately.
    You could head over to the Dianshan lake through the Huqingping Gonglu, its quite nice over there. Or the roads around Zhujiajiao or Zhouzhuang.
    Never went to Chongming island yet...

Dan, you mentioned the countryside roads in Minhang, could you please tell me more ? My work is near Gudai lu / Zhongchun lu.

6. #6 Re: Short Rides Around Shanghai? 
    Hey Fred, I can't be very specific, but between Xinzhuang and Songjiang there's some very nice, wide, quiet roads with lots of greenery and lakes. Gudai Lu isn't too far from Xinzhuang and it's well sign posted.

Weel took me for a nice run in his sidecar. We headed out from QinChun Lu, on the crossroads of Humin Lu near the vehicle management bureau and Chunshen Lu metro station, we got losts amongst a load of factories and within 20 minutes we were surrounded by countryside that felt a million miles away from Shanghai. A short run but worth an afternoon. Sorry that doesn't help much. I'll be able to show you in a couple of weeks tho.